Locomotion Models announce D8000 and King George V models

Andy Y

attachicon.gifRMweb10021.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10022.jpg

Locomotion Models have also kindly provided an unpowered review sample of the pre-production decorated King George V in its limited edition guise which means an opportunity for you to take a close look at the forthcoming King. It is anticipated that delivery of the model, priced at £159.99 will be available early autumn.

attachicon.gifRMweb10002.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10003.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10004.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10005.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10006.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10007.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10008.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10009.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10010.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10011.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10012.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10013.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10014.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10015.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10016.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10017.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10018.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb10019.jpg

Definitely raised the bar...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not modelling GWR /WR, but took the plunge with locomotion for KGV, and will likely do the same with Hattons for KEII, because, lets face it, the ongoing use and preservation of the real one's is what is really important.

Well said that man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Locomotion. Do you have news from Hornby as to a projected date for release of the Kings? Been a few weeks since we have heard anything and the release dates on their website are beginning to slip.

Hi Locomotion. Do you have news from Hornby as to a projected date for release of the Kings? Been a few weeks since we have heard anything and the release dates on their website are beginning to slip.

Hi,  We are trying to get a definite date from Hornby at the moment for delivery and as soon as we get the info I will pass it on

Cheers

Sandra 

Got an email from Locomotion on the 6th, surprised it hasn't been spoke of on here yet, part of it reads as follows:

Hello

Thank you for ordering, and in some cases, paying for the above Hornby model.

We were expecting to take delivery on or around the 6th October but that date has now been amended by Hornby.

Hornby tell us that the models will now be arriving in the UK on or before the 17th November and hope to despatch them to Locomotion shortly after they arrive at the Hornby warehouse If this occurs it means that once they arrive I can have them despatched to all my customers a day or two later using a next day delivery service for every model.

I am more than happy to wait having already paid. I've never bought a kettle before would you believe, i've always been a diesel person... must be getting nostalgic as I get older!

• Like 1

That you for those pictures. The finish is superb. I believe that the edition is limited to 250, which is quite low. Is it perhaps an experiment to see how well gloss paintwork sells? I wonder if an appetite for gloss will develop when people realise how it appears much more like metal than a matt finish.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Ian - but whichever it does at least look right in the pics posted above.

Which again poses the question why.Why perpetrate Hornby "own brand" GWR/BR (W) sagebrush green ? Especially when there's a potentially superior model waiting in the wings. If Locomotion appear to be on the money with the paint job,why does its main range seemingly present in this livery ? I ask myself if this has been rushed to market without correct research.From Robin's images,I would be unhappy to buy the two main range items on display.Obviously,I am not alone in this.Whilst Hornby have been doing so well with its recent releases,this is a great pity.

Apart from the shade of green, the thing that stands out for me is the lining - the orange lining is too wide and the black too narrow.  This is particularly noticeable on the boiler bands.  From a distance all one sees is orange.  This is not unique to Hornby - I have the same problem with a Bachmann Hall.

Maybe the printing process does not allow lines below a certain width.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I think it is the same shade varnished. There was an article in a recent RM were they varnished the recent Star and it emerged very similar to the varnished 6000.

An interesting observation.Maybe the same treatment applied to the new Halls could produce the same result ?

Most coloured proprietary locos benefit from a coat of gloss varnish even when applied with lots of air to make it eggshell. I was doing this yonks ago for friends although the plastic was differnt in those day and i had to be very careful with the clear cellulose.

• Like 1

I think it is the same shade varnished. There was an article in a recent RM were they varnished the recent Star and it emerged very similar to the varnished 6000.

Take a look at a GWR - or BR green - locomotive at a preserved railway that has not been in service for a while awaiting overhaul.  When the varnsh has weathered away they look very much like the unvarnished Hornby models - I am thinking particularly of Dumbleton Hall at the South Devon Railway which looked very dull when I saw her last.  Mind you some of the greens used to paint GWR and BR green locomotives in the 'preservation' era are decididly 'iffy'.  Also Swindon was known to be very sparing with its use of varnish and those splendidly shiny engines emerging from A shop didn't stay that way for long unless they were very well maintained.  Any of the colour albums will show that the green faded very quickly.

Edited by Bulwell Hall

Take a look at a GWR - or BR green - locomotive at a preserved railway that has not been in service for a while awaiting overhaul.  When the varnsh has weathered away they look very much like the unvarnished Hornby models - I am thinking particularly of Dumbleton Hall at the South Devon Railway which looked very dull when I saw her last.  Mind you some of the greens used to paint GWR and BR green locomotives in the 'preservation' era are decididly 'iffy'.  Also Swindon was known to be very sparing with its use of varnish and those splendidly shiny engines emerging from A shop didn't stay that way for long unless they were very well maintained.  Any of the colour albums will show that the green faded very quickly.

I beg to differ. Those Swindon locos looked very neat indeed until at least 1959 and possibly later in some areas. The green had a deep bronzed oily rag look about it. It photographed much lighter in bright sunlight, plus we have to be aware of the usual over-exposure on film. On the LMR and ER, I took it for granted which loco classes were green, but it was difficult to tell one on most occasions until it stopped beside you.

There is some video about showing Paddington in 1959 and all the engines from panniers on carriage duties to the Kings were well clean. Another visit in 1963 or 1964 showed a complete transformation with grime and missing plates the norm. The pale green you refer to I did see. It was always on a loco that had been stored outside the MPD over the Winter months, which was normal in steam days from October to March. On occasions, it seems to me people are 'reading' into colour albums and jumping to conclusions that do not tally with first hand experiences. Photographers took pictures after work (obviously) and so a good proportion were in teatime and evening sunlight when there is a red cast. The human eye doesnt detect it but film emulsions certainly did. This had the effect of making colours at the red end of the spectrum (such as rust) more pronounced.

For me living in the Manchester area, a visit to the Western Region meant I would see clean green engines and for this reason alone it was sad to see its decline in the early 1960's until by 1963 it was in many ways worse than the London Midland. On the subject of Hornby's BR green, I have spoken on this before. It is too light and insipid, but then anyone can open a tin of Precision Paints and see what it should look like for themselves.

Edited by coachmann