Locomotion Models announce D8000 and King George V models

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Very many thanks to Sandra, Simon and all at Locomotion, and indeed to Hornby - both in the UK and in China - for my King which arrived safely this morning. I am most impressed, love it! Some rather rushed photos just taken on my iPhone. I am sure much better ones will soon grace this Forum.

very best wishes

Godfrey

post-138-0-14722300-1447759140_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-64545400-1447759158_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-47815300-1447759175_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-26715300-1447759192_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-24879200-1447759211_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-24543000-1447759229_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Everything comes to him who waits.......and doubtlessly someone will oblige shortly. We have all had to wait a long time for a King of this quality. I've had a wait longer than most of you.

Since pre-nationalization no doubt  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Got mine this afternoon, very nice but very fragile!

Interesting method of connecting tender, wasn't expecting to get an assembled loco.

Now standard practice on new Hornby releases and a great advance on fiddling with the diabolical plug in pin connector.

Incidentally,one purchaser has just put his on eBay for £260 o.n.o. Nothing under the sun is new,is it ?

• RMweb Premium

Now standard practice on new Hornby releases and a great advance on fiddling with the diabolical plug in pin connector.

Incidentally,one purchaser has just put his on eBay for £260 o.n.o. Nothing under the sun is new,is it ?

I have just finished looking at that. Terrible isn't it.

• RMweb Gold

I have just finished looking at that. Terrible isn't it.

Yes,I feel it is for the simple reason that this person has quite possibly deprived a genuine modeller of the opportunity to purchase a very special model.....if Locomotion have sold all the current run of their KGV.

• RMweb Gold

Yes,I feel it is for the simple reason that this person has quite possibly deprived a genuine modeller of the opportunity to purchase a very special model.....if Locomotion have sold all the current run of their KGV.

Absolutely but the ebay listing also has a best offer option and I'm about to offer the seller £50...

• Like 2

And this time,it's a retailer....

Their not the only retailer up to this - I was visiting a shop in Derbyshire and when Rapido's APT was announced this came up in conversation, he hadn't heard of this, but when he saw the price of the sound version being good value, he said he'd buy a load in and be certain of making a profit, even if it meant ordering in various names and addresses to meet the requirement of the max of 2 per customer.... 

IMO this is wrong, but in the same context business is business and I ask my self would I do the same - well yes I would, but I don't own a shop so I don't need to do this (nor do I have the funds to buy more than one in at a time anyway haha),

Back to topic, KGV 250/250 is taking the mick a little bit. 

Edited by srihaggis

It's not dissimilar to what's happened with ticket prices for west end shows. Effectively we've seem shows hike up their prices to where the touts were able to clear the market. Whilst it's galling no longer to see shows cheaply, I'd rather the money went to the theatre, performers and promoters rather than a tout. In the model rail context, whilst we all complain about rising prices, if there is profit, wouldn't we rather see it with retailers, manufacturers and, to a lesser extent, related causes like Locomotion and Steam rather than resellers.

If I were locomotion, I'd be thinking whether the 250 units were underpriced and b I'd be thinking of doing what theatres and sports events do. Those tickets often come with strict no resale clauses and, if contravened, the reseller is banned from, eg the Lord's ticket ballot / thrown off MCC waiting list etc etc. I'd have no objection if locomotion were to introduce a similar policy. Would be relatively easy to track who, eg brought number 250, and ban them from future limited run purchases. Of course, people will always seek a way around but it can and should be made more difficult

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Their not the only retailer up to this - I was visiting a shop in Derbyshire and when Rapido's APT was announced this came up in conversation, he hadn't heard of this, but when he saw the price of the sound version being good value, he said he'd buy a load in and be certain of making a profit, even if it meant ordering in various names and addresses to meet the requirement of the max of 2 per customer.... 

IMO this is wrong, but in the same context business is business and I ask my self would I do the same - well yes I would, but I don't own a shop so I don't need to do this (nor do I have the funds to buy more than one in at a time anyway haha),

Back to topic, KGV 250/250 is taking the mick a little bit.

Now this one is notorious for stunts like this......yes I know who you mean....such as buying up stock from other retailers who are selling it at knock down prices and then selling it on at a healthy mark up

• RMweb Gold

It's not dissimilar to what's happened with ticket prices for west end shows. Effectively we've seem shows hike up their prices to where the touts were able to clear the market. Whilst it's galling no longer to see shows cheaply, I'd rather the money went to the theatre, performers and promoters rather than a tout. In the model rail context, whilst we all complain about rising prices, if there is profit, wouldn't we rather see it with retailers, manufacturers and, to a lesser extent, related causes like Locomotion and Steam rather than resellers.

If I were locomotion, I'd be thinking whether the 250 units were underpriced and b I'd be thinking of doing what theatres and sports events do. Those tickets often come with strict no resale clauses and, if contravened, the reseller is banned from, eg the Lord's ticket ballot / thrown off MCC waiting list etc etc. I'd have no objection if locomotion were to introduce a similar policy. Would be relatively easy to track who, eg brought number 250, and ban them from future limited run purchases. Of course, people will always seek a way around but it can and should be made more difficult

David

Thoroughly admire your sentiments but I fear that might be unworkable.

I can well understand the confusion between this, bearing the legends "National Railway Museum" & "Special Edition" and the NRM limited edition. The one on ebay is widely obtainable from retailers and has not got the varnished finish.

My KGV (R3377 No.62-250) arrived safely, by courier, in warmer, sandier climes.  Stunning model, most impressed.  Now i need to wait for the DJ/Hattons KEII.....  or maybe i'll renumber / rename the 2016 R3410 of KHIII, if the DJ version of 6023 is truly of the "preserved version" 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So I have just been emailing with Sandra at Locomotion Models. Way back when the King was first announced, I reserved a model. When it eventually became available, I was unable financially to complete the purchase. Sandra said she would keep it aside for me until I had the funds available. Since this was now almost 4 months ago, I had given up hope of getting the one I had reserved, thinking that they would only hold it for a short period.

Having talked to Sandra today, I find that she has held it all this time for me, and will be completing purchase next week.

I would just like to thank Sandra immensely for doing such a great job as a customer service worker and she is a great asset to Locomotion Models.

• Like 11