Locomotion Models announce D8000 and King George V models

Andy Y

I am almost reluctant to enter this discussion but I can affirm that in the mid to late 1950s the ex-GWR locomotives at Wolverhampton and Snow Hill were always in better condition than most of their ex-LMS contemporaries.  The exception was in the Bushbury 3B 4-6-0s (mostly Jubilees in this era) which were kept in top condition, possibly because Stafford Road 84A was literally just down the road and the smaller ex-LNWR/LMS shed would have to keep up its appearances.  That said, they would have anyway!  By contrast Saltley and other ex-Midland sheds didn't seem to care.

Every King or Castle on Platform 7 at Snow Hill looked good in my eyes up to 1960.  But I stopped looking toward the end of steam, the sights were too dreadful for younger people to imagine, though there's plenty of evidence (ref. the photo books by Colin T. Gifford).

One thing I would say to the RTR fraternity - you can make believe your purchase to be what you think it should be, you paid the price, you get to choose whether or not to mucky it up!

• RMweb Gold

I am almost reluctant to enter this discussion but I can affirm that in the mid to late 1950s the ex-GWR locomotives at Wolverhampton and Snow Hill were always in better condition than most of their ex-LMS contemporaries.  The exception was in the Bushbury 3B 4-6-0s (mostly Jubilees in this era) which were kept in top condition, possibly because Stafford Road 84A was literally just down the road and the smaller ex-LNWR/LMS shed would have to keep up its appearances.  That said, they would have anyway!  By contrast Saltley and other ex-Midland sheds didn't seem to care.

Every King or Castle on Platform 7 at Snow Hill looked good in my eyes up to 1960.  But I stopped looking toward the end of steam, the sights were too dreadful for younger people to imagine, though there's plenty of evidence (ref. the photo books by Colin T. Gifford).

One thing I would say to the RTR fraternity - you can make believe your purchase to be what you think it should be, you paid the price, you get to choose whether or not to mucky it up!

And Bushbury handled most of the Euston expresses,including "The Midlander". Remember that ? I bet you do.Stafford Road always kept its Kings and Castles in top condition. One of its Castles worked to Temple Meads out and home on "The Cornishman" on a daily basis and I recall them as being well turned out right into the early 60's when Warships were working the train berween Bristol and Penzance. Thet said.Landore ( 87E ) was the spiritual home of Castles.....and my,how Roy White and his men prepared them for Swansea-Paddington turns......white painted buffers was his "signature".

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure everything they used was Humbrol - will have a look in the magazine pile tonight :)

Be 'eck that took a bit of finding - must take out a digital subscription! Anyway, December 2014, Craig Tilley article on page 1004. The main part of the body is sprayed with Humbrol Acrylic Gloss from an aerosol. Really concise article - I'm going to try it on a Hornby Scot when I pluck up the courage!

Edited by MikeParkin65

Be 'eck that took a bit of finding - must take out a digital subscription! Anyway, December 2014, Craig Tilley article on page 1004. The main part of the body is sprayed with Humbrol Acrylic Gloss from an aerosol. Really concise article - I'm going to try it on a Hornby Scot when I pluck up the courage!

Good for you! The Hornby Rebuilt Scot and Rebuilt Patriot consigned to the bin my rule: "Never buy a retooed version of a class if I have an older model." They've come to my mind too in this discussion. Their colour was their one unfortunate feature. I wish you lots of courage and every success!

Good for you! The Hornby Rebuilt Scot and Rebuilt Patriot consigned to the bin my rule: "Never buy a retooed version of a class if I have an older model." They've come to my mind too in this discussion. Their colour was their one unfortunate feature. I wish you lots of courage and every success!

I am the same. I have recently bought 6133 in LMS Black, I would dearly love to convert it to 6115 bullied to the nines as I remember it from my childhood at Dinting

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have any idea where Hornby put their DCC Sockets in steam locos these days? 

I can't find much on the topic other than it will be DCC Ready. I have a Lenz chip ready to drop in but I fear it may be too large if it goes in the boiler end.

Edited by srihaggis

Does anybody have any idea where Hornby put their DCC Sockets in steam locos these days? 

I can't find much on the topic other than it will be DCC Ready. I have a Lenz chip ready to drop in but I fear it may be too large if it goes in the boiler end.

Hi if you go to the Hornby website and find the King class this will lead you to the service sheet HSS416 and you will see the decoder position is in the tender.

Richard

Hi if you go to the Hornby website and find the King class this will lead you to the service sheet HSS416 and you will see the decoder position is in the tender.

Richard

Thank you - I actually looked on the website but I must have got the wrong model as I couldn't see any decoder placement. Tender - super. thats a relief. Cheers Richard :)

• RMweb Gold

OK Guys.... the King is in the country!!  Barring roadworks, the A1M1 altogether and spilt milk they should be with me by Monday shipping Tuesday!  If you haven't paid yet - you need to!

A mighty barrier indeed..not quite sure of the spilt milk,though......having recently been the recipient of one in my local Sainsbury's when I was quite literally drenched from head to toe by a pint of gold top which leapt off the shelves.

Good news...Glossy George cometh.Must stay in on Wednesday.

• Like 1

I think the imminent BR and GWR Hornby 'King' models available in the high street can be regarded as a snip at the price, as they are under what one pays for Castles and other similar locos. The comparatively low price is probably intended to soak up buyers interested in Kings but who may be hanging on for a model from 'another place'. Just a thought.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I think the imminent BR and GWR Hornby 'King' models available in the high street can be regarded as a snip at the price, as they are under what one pays for Castles and other similar locos. The comparatively low price is probably intended to soak up buyers interested in Kings but who may be hanging on for a model from 'another place'. Just a thought.

But an interesting one.From what I have seen of the main range Hornby King,then I am not tempted. The use of varnish of whatever provenance has tempted me to buy one of Locomotion's specials.

When the Hattons versions finally arrive,then I'm reasonably sure that I'll be in the market for a couple or three......starting with BR blue,my first memory of a King in the early 50's...6008 King James II ,Wolverhampton Low Level on a down Birkenhead express.

• Like 2

But OK as far as Shrewsbury from both Wolverhampton and the North & West.

I travelled from Snow Hill to Gobowen on numerous occasions when a trainspotter (1956-1962) and as far as I can remember it was rare for a King to travel north of Wolverhampton.  The exception may have been the Cambrian Coast Express if it had a full load.  I think this was more a fact that Kings were generally switched out at Wolverhampton if the train was heading for Birkenhead rather than route availability restrictions.  I seem to remember, also, that Semis, when running in after visiting Crewe Works, also traveled south from Shrewsbury, then to Whitchurch and back to Crewe.  They had the same route availability as Kings at the time.

I never spent any time on Shrewsbury station which on reflection was a shame.  Instead I used to try to sneak around Stafford Road 84A!  Not always successfully.

• RMweb Gold

Oh pictures when you can please, I beg of you.

Sorry...I really have no talent for posting images on the forum. Just let me say it is well worth it. The gloss livens the model up to a better prototypical shade of green. Beautifully finished and presented,the model cuts the mustard in haulage capabilities too.Just given it a couple of circuits at the head of a rake of 8 Bachmann Mark 1's.......a smooth unflustered doddle on 4.8 setting on Gaugemaster .

A big "Ten From Len" from me

to Hornby,Locomotion,Brian,Simon and ESPECIAL thanks to Sandra for delivering safely. Buy buy buy.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry...I really have no talent for posting images on the forum. Just let me say it is well worth it. The gloss livens the model up to a better prototypical shade of green. Beautifully finished and presented,the model cuts the mustard in haulage capabilities too.Just given it a couple of circuits at the head of a rake of 8 Bachmann Mark 1's.......a smooth unflustered doddle on 4.8 setting on Gaugemaster .

A big "Ten From Len" from me

to Hornby,Locomotion,Brian,Simon and ESPECIAL thanks to Sandra for delivering safely. Buy buy buy.....

Oh now that's just teasing.