I've just visited the venue to confirm the dates etc and can now confirm that -

SOUTH NOTTS

MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION

will be on

17th and 17th April 2016.

at

Cotgrave Welfare

10am to 5pm Sat, 10am to 4.30pm Sun

I've booked the second hall this year so the floor plan will be about 25% bigger.

Prices have been lowered from £6 to £5.

Look out for the show fliers as these will have a voucher giving £1 (per person per flier) discount on their admission price.

So far 8 layouts confirmed in writing, and three more verbally.  More details and pictures to follow, and details of the others added as I get invites issued and returned........

Les

(show manager)

• 3 weeks later...

Copied from Swad Lane thread.

Subject to Peter getting it ready in time, Swad Lane has been booked to appear at the South Notts Model Railway Exhibition at Cotgrave next April. Deesdale Road is the fall-back if Swad Lane can't get there.

Look out for exhibition fliers, the ones printed in September will have a £1 discount voucher on them....

Les Richardson

Exhibition Manager

Bingham MRC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eight thousand  exhibition fliers now received, out of a total order of five thousand......

Never mind the maths- we only paid for five thousand.

Look out for them.  Each one has a £1 discount voucher.  One voucher per person per entry.   That means a family of four with four fliers get in for £6 instead of a tenner. 

Now there's a bargain!

Confirmed layout- Karolina Falls.

Les

If all the vouchers come back we'll have a crowded show...........

• 1 month later...

We gave out a lot of fliers/vouchers at Kirkby in Ashfield this weekend.

If you see a BMRC member's layout ANYWHERE you'll be able to pick up a flier with discount voucher attached.

These layouts are BOARD LANE, YARMOUTH SOUTH TOWN, BRENTON MIDLAND, BOGHAMPTON, FURTWANGEN OST and HAWTHORN DENE.

By the end of the month all of our traders will have a supply.

All the very best

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed layouts include

NEWBURN-  OO,  Pre-grouping GWR, shortly to be featured in Hornby Magazine

RISE PARK - N - new layout (second outing) featuring the buildings of Trevor Webster

TADDLECOMBE - OO - new layout by Barry Keens

GLENELLEN  - N-  magnificent new layout by David Harrison, creator of LAGGANMOOR

ELMFIELD - N - set in the early sixties, by Dave Westwood

KAROLINA FALLS - On30  US Outline from David Bailey

HOWLING MOOR DAM - N- winter scene from Chris Burch

IRGENDWOHN STRASSENBAHN - N-  modern German by John Brady

WERRINGTON ROAD -OO - BR Sector, by Neil Favell

COMMON LANE  - N- Modern image by Alan Britton

HAMPSHIRE HILLS TRACTION - HO -  US Trolley line by John Huddlestone

AVYN-A-LLYIN  - 009 - Welsh narrow gauge by Andy Bailey

WOODTHORPE SHED - O - John Fownes returns by popular request.

BOGHAMPTON - OO- Southern electrics by Tony Forward

WOODSIDE LANE - OO - by Pete Abbott

SWAD LANE - OO - diesel era presented by Peter Bayley- Bligh

And more still to be confirmed....

Ten traders. Details later...

Look out for our fliers at shows between now and April.  they give an extra £1 off admission....

Les

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update-

Barry Keens is unavailable in April this year for Health reasons, so Taddlecombe has been replaced by Chris Trafford's Board Lane.

Gareth Harbottle's new layout should be ready in time, all it needs is a name....

Peter, I've marked your space out large enough for the alternative you offered, so no issue there.  I'll be in contact in February for an update.

We are up to 12 traders, and the show plan is now full.   Only Thomas the Tank Engine and the War Gamers still to confirm in writing......

Les

• 1 month later...

I've been to talk to the folks at Cotgrave Welfare today.

The bad news is that there is a hand carwash set up in one corner of the carpark.  Once surrounded by trader and exhibitor vans he might decide to take the weekend off.

The good news is that the doors will be open for exhibitors and traders from 8am Sat and Sun (I've got someone willing to open up).  AND bacon butties will be on sale from 9AM both days.  The new caterer appreciates that model railway shows run on bacon butties.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been to talk to the folks at Cotgrave Welfare today.

The bad news is that there is a hand carwash set up in one corner of the carpark.  Once surrounded by trader and exhibitor vans he might decide to take the weekend off.

The good news is that the doors will be open for exhibitors and traders from 8am Sat and Sun (I've got someone willing to open up).  AND bacon butties will be on sale from 9AM both days.  The new caterer appreciates that model railway shows run on bacon butties.

Les

Hi Les,

0800 opening and bacon butties at 9 sounds great.  Taken some days off work and am becoming hopeful that Swad Lane will have its outing at Cotgrave.

Cheers, Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update-

One more layout may be unable to attend through a hospital appointment.

Still at 17 layouts as Gareth Harbottle's new one, now named EASTERNBY OIL REFINERY will be there.  All I need is to find a dark corner to put him in.  Nothing personal, it is a night-time scene.

I'll list the trade support before long, honest!

Les

Still plenty of chances to pick up a flier with a £1 discount voucher on the back.  All you need to do is to present it filled in with your name (or someone else's name) and where you've travelled from-  e.g Albert from Sheffield..... (Don't need any more detail, it is just to get an idea of how far people travel)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One additional trader-

Online Models.

However, I think Stephenson Carriages won't be there due to illness.

Leaflets dropped in about half the homes in Cotgrave (we ran out- my "round" consumed well over 200 with two long roads not done, and I took over 5 hours to deliver even these.)  Also some delivered in Bingham and one or two of the local villages.

Floor plan keeps the area round the catering hatch clear (barring clangers), and we are delivering meals to stands to save exhibitors queueing at the hatch other than at bacon buttie times.

I've nicked a few presentation details from TrainWest and from Doncaster amongst others, so we should look a bit more professional this year.

All the very best

Les

Setup day

Most layouts and traders installed, all working, though space is a little tighter at the balcony end of the hall than I would have liked.

No wargamers- they have a convention in London this weekend and aren't coming to Cotgrave- though it would have been nice if we had been told more than two days before the show.  No invite next year, we'll stay conventional.

Ian Wiggglesworth isn't well enough to bring Thomas and friends, but we DO have Sharloey.  No prize for anyone who finds him.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Setup day

Most layouts and traders installed, all working, though space is a little tighter at the balcony end of the hall than I would have liked.

No wargamers- they have a convention in London this weekend and aren't coming to Cotgrave- though it would have been nice if we had been told more than two days before the show.  No invite next year, we'll stay conventional.

Ian Wiggglesworth isn't well enough to bring Thomas and friends, but we DO have Sharloey.  No prize for anyone who finds him.

Les

The trouble with war-gamers is that are always fighting amongst themselves ;)

• RMweb Gold

I can only apologise for not being able to bring the New OO Thomas layout for the children to play with.

It would have been it's first outing, but unfortunately my shoulders are still giving me grief.

Hope the weekend goes well, and hope to be well enough and be invited back for next year.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

called in today for a look, like stepping back in time!

the venue looked so tired and dark on the inside and a rather perculaualr smell as you entered, one of those dank smells that took me back to the smoke stained pubs and clubs of the 90s with spilt beer in the carpets, however that was soon overridden by the smell of chips from the cafe once you entered the main hall (thats still lingering on my clothes now)

i wasnt impressed by what i saw when i first went in but then i realised that there were more layouts and traders on the stage and even more up in the gods behind the stage, at that point i felt like i was a "turn" waiting in the wings to go on stage in front of a room of angry miners!

trader wise, nothing grabbed me and a lot just seemed to be stacked high with stuff that really should have been in crates below the stands, i did see something i fancied on one stall but when asked if i could pay by card i may have well said "do you take these modern fiddly decimal coins?" so didnt persue it futher, shame as it would have been a £75 sale for him

very impressed with the card built O gauge locos being demonstrated upstairs, if it didnt say i wouldnt have been able to tell

layout wise, stand out ones for me:

avyn-a-llyin, lovely set up, great scenery, lovely water effect

swad lane: very nice, my sort of thing, cracking detail in the sheds etc

glenellan: my standout layout at the show, again my kind of era (except the wrong gauge), modern image stock on a roundy roundy set up, plenty to see on it

not so positive for me was irgendwohn, a german tram based layout, now i know people moan about DCC sound on layouts but the german music being pumped through that layout began to grate after a while while trying to view other layouts within a 20ft radius!

so despite the odd smells and the stuck in the old ways traders i did actually quite enjoy it, worth going 10 mins out of my way en route to peterborough for at least

called in today for a look, like stepping back in time!

the venue looked so tired and dark on the inside and a rather perculaualr smell as you entered, one of those dank smells that took me back to the smoke stained pubs and clubs of the 90s with spilt beer in the carpets, however that was soon overridden by the smell of chips from the cafe once you entered the main hall (thats still lingering on my clothes now)

i wasnt impressed by what i saw when i first went in but then i realised that there were more layouts and traders on the stage and even more up in the gods behind the stage, at that point i felt like i was a "turn" waiting in the wings to go on stage in front of a room of angry miners!

trader wise, nothing grabbed me and a lot just seemed to be stacked high with stuff that really should have been in crates below the stands, i did see something i fancied on one stall but when asked if i could pay by card i may have well said "do you take these modern fiddly decimal coins?" so didnt persue it futher, shame as it would have been a £75 sale for him

very impressed with the card built O gauge locos being demonstrated upstairs, if it didnt say i wouldnt have been able to tell

layout wise, stand out ones for me:

avyn-a-llyin, lovely set up, great scenery, lovely water effect

swad lane: very nice, my sort of thing, cracking detail in the sheds etc

glenellan: my standout layout at the show, again my kind of era (except the wrong gauge), modern image stock on a roundy roundy set up, plenty to see on it

not so positive for me was irgendwohn, a german tram based layout, now i know people moan about DCC sound on layouts but the german music being pumped through that layout began to grate after a while while trying to view other layouts within a 20ft radius!

so despite the odd smells and the stuck in the old ways traders i did actually quite enjoy it, worth going 10 mins out of my way en route to peterborough for at least

So 2+2 time, looking at your avatar and forum name would you be the chap walking around in the Colas top and orange trousers?

Archived