New Layout Plan for your comments: Queenborough-Sheerness

Mike Storey

I have some photos at Sheerness http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/queenboroughsheerness

Paul

Many thanks Paul - as ever your work has proven invaluable, and grouping the pics like this makes it even easier! I shall be making purchases for blow ups of several of them once I start some scratchbuilding of the SRA steel wagons for sure.

Mike

Mike,

I don't know if the following pics are of use from 1998?

attachicon.gifT-499 Queenborough 26-3-98.jpg

attachicon.gifT-500 Queenborough 26-3-98.jpg

attachicon.gifT-504 Queenborough 26-3-98.jpg

Cheers.

Many thanks Paul

Similar to some of the pics I took around that time, but much better quality than mine! Strange move going on at the rear of the last pic! Would you have any showing the Sheerness end of the QB platforms, specifically signal EV83? Just hoping!

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hello Again!

After finally clearing the barn loft of the last of the rubble and other detritus, I have been able to more accurately measure the space available, which gives me a few feet extra at one end. Thus please see below a revised plan, which improves upon previous editions as follows;

a. creates better well space in the centre (shown as light green)

b. gives greater room between the visible and hidden parts of the layout (hidden now in grey area)

c. takes a reversing move (Sheerness to Sheerness Steel) off a curved point

d. allows a maximum 2.5 ft reach to any part of the layout, bar the far end of the EMU sidings.

As ever, your comments appreciated. The new wiring to the loft is going in shortly so building will commence early in the new year, once another leak in the roof is repaired (I have just had one end of the roof completely refurbished and a widened zinc gulley installed, so this is Ye Law of Sodde at work).

post-13143-0-82418800-1448733353_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back in the day when I was doing estate agency in Southern France, I was amazed at the number of houses (many of them very cheap back then) with superb spaces for model railways. The extra width that you have found will improve this layout no end.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/04/2018 at 09:47, JSpencer said:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I was wondering if the layout has progressed.

Weird - I have only just seen this, and with the new software!!

I am afraid that, apart from collecting new bits and pieces (primarily bogie kits and body shells to bash to create POA/JXA bogie scrap wagons), nothing much has happened to progress this layout, beyond my test track. My barn is still partly full of the furniture and belongings of two different friends now, and won't be clear until the summer, and the rest of it will soon be filled with everything out of our kitchen, whilst we have that re-built (the floor is slowly collapsing). 

I have decided however, to build the Queenborough/Sheerness scheme on the ground floor, rather than in the barn loft, which will give me a baseboard length of around 33ft, and enough width to keep to a minimum four foot radius. But that means I have to create a concrete floor, which is going to take several months, with re-wiring, new lighting, further work on the walls etc. I have drafted a new track plan, which will be far less crowded than the ones shown above, and I am keeping it simple, to ensure it gets built, but there will not be any significant progress until next year.

Meanwhile, my garden railway "Belle End" is progressing well, and as better weather returns, I will continue to update that thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Big And said:

Great looking track plan Mike, and a location with great freight action.  Fingers crossed for seeing the project develop.

Many thanks. I have at least re-wired the barn with extra sockets and a lot more lighting, over the winter, but apart from some external work to reduce the water ingress in one corner over the summer, there will not be any progress until the end of this year or early next. Garden railway taking precedence this year.

I am hoping to participate in Gibbo's testing of his Cartic4 kit, which will definitely be a major necessity for my layout, and I have sourced all the bits necessary now to bash up to 8 bogies into Sheerness Steel JXA scrap wagons (Railtec has produced the transfers I needed after a suggestion last year). Just need the Bachmann 2 HAP's to arrive and all I will need to do is build the (SP) 4 CEP refurb kit to complete the traction and rolling stock.

• 2 years later...

Just to let anyone interested know, nothing whatsoever has been done for this layout, apart from obtaining the 2 HAPs and some oxygen tankers. All my focus has been on the Belle End garden layout, in the little spare time I have had.

I do not expect to post anything more for a year or three....

• Friendly/supportive 2