Wellington Street

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

One of the jobs on the to-do list was the lighting rig. Not very railway like but for the N.E.C. a necessity. As the layout is portable and needs to be put up single handed the rig also has to be simple to fit. On the back of the backscene I have fitted two pockets into which the rigs legs slide, simples. The photo shows the rig propped against the as yet unpainted drop down front panel of the left-hand board.

post-185-0-05879000-1475932750.jpg

Vinyl lettering from http://www.bhma.co.uk/ usual disclaimer just a happy customer

Some grand modeling  going on here Mike.

Moving -->   -->   --> slightly off topic to a reference you made in Reely Grate about your couplings you were using then, Hornby hooks fitted by Nem pockets.

Is that the present way you make your couplings or have you changed them. 

I'm wondering about using the Nem Pocket but just the hook and fit a piece of wire across the buffers instead for the latching.  I'm also thinking of replacing the wire spigot which actuates when over the magnet with some 3 link which are held together so they work exactly as the wire spigot does.

I've only got this as an idea just now so could you help me with the "get go" and tell me which part number Nem pockets and Hornby hooks you used so I can order some.

Many thanks.

<--   <--   <-- Back on topic  :scratchhead: 

Had a google and there seems to be many Nem parts so any directing.advice would be great, Reely Grate.

Some grand modeling  going on here Mike.

Moving -->   -->   --> slightly off topic to a reference you made in Reely Grate about your couplings you were using then, Hornby hooks fitted by Nem pockets.

Is that the present way you make your couplings or have you changed them. 

I'm wondering about using the Nem Pocket but just the hook and fit a piece of wire across the buffers instead for the latching.  I'm also thinking of replacing the wire spigot which actuates when over the magnet with some 3 link which are held together so they work exactly as the wire spigot does.

I've only got this as an idea just now so could you help me with the "get go" and tell me which part number Nem pockets and Hornby hooks you used so I can order some.

Many thanks.

Hi, I'll take some photos of the coupling arrangement and sort out the part numbers asap.

cheers

<--   <--   <-- Back on topic  :scratchhead: 

Had a google and there seems to be many Nem parts so any directing.advice would be great, Reely Grate.

Happy snap showing how the lighting unit fits into the pocket, when I have finished slapping paint about I'll set the layout up and take some proper snaps. I can take the photos promised to Barnaby at the same time, after all I will also be playing trains. ;)

post-185-0-67611000-1476026942_thumb.jpg

Just my own personal opinion, but I really ('reelly'..??) hate the look of wire-across-buffers, as per the Sprat & Winkle coupler.

Couldn't agree more, it's almost as bad as a great big knuckle coupler or any other form of automatic coupling device but, each to his own. :)

Couldn't agree more, it's almost as bad as a great big knuckle coupler or any other form of automatic coupling device but, each to his own. :)

On British stock, that in reality had 3-links, yes, agreed. ;)  ... but other Countries gave up on coupling trains the 19th Century way in,... ooh, the 19th Century, I think!! :mosking: 

Thought it expedient to try loading the car and transporting the layout, so I journeyed to my Father-in-Laws and set up the layout in his garage. No problems except I damaged a plug in unloading the layout from the car. Easily sorted so I shall have a day playing trains on Sunday. "Bostin!"

post-185-0-40032300-1476527958.jpg

post-185-0-10080000-1476527977.jpg

post-185-0-29862100-1476527997.jpg

post-185-0-48241100-1476528026.jpg

post-185-0-25587900-1476528012_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-81007500-1476528083_thumb.jpg

Snaps taken on my phone with all the lighting other than the layouts own switched off. Note to self: refit the snap catch on the backsecene near the bridge.

Wagon coupling photos for Barnaby tomorrow.

It looks like Wellington Street is all set to "show off" in the best possible taste at the Warley Show 26th - 27th November, it's looking great Mike.

Thanks in anticipation for the coupling photos promised while you're playing trains tomorrow.  :locomotive:  

I have been doing some experimenting with a wagon some track a couple of rare earth shirt button magnets and a few paper clips.  I'm down for some train play tomorrow too. :sungum:

Thanks Mike, I like the idea of the bottom link being soft iron and is the way it is attracted to the buried magnet.

I was trying to do the same thing but with all 3-links but using only one would seem to enable a much smoother operation, something to make up tonight and try tomorrow.

One thing have you attached the 3-links directly to the middle stub of the hook, I'm playing about with the Nem Hornby couplings which have the lifter stub in the middle.

Presently I have a rearward facing bent paper clip which is behind the pivot point so when it pulls down the hook goes up.  I assume all the links are stuck together too.

Thanks, plenty for me to play with there tomorrow.

Although they have been posted before i have included the frames for the fold up base units I thought I'd post some photos of the finished set up. You will notice(I hope) that there are fold out brackets which support the drop down display panels.

post-185-0-37858200-1476711142.jpg

post-185-0-18154000-1476711159.jpg

post-185-0-42588600-1476711175.jpg

post-185-0-14597300-1476711195.jpg

post-185-0-54121900-1476711245.jpg

If you are at all interested on what is displayed on the panels:

post-185-0-33898400-1476711470.jpg

post-185-0-16879500-1476711484.jpg

post-185-0-74395900-1476711502.jpg

Well the die is cast and after the Hucclecote Show 17th June 2017 Wellington Street will be sold (hopefully) so that the next in the Earl of Dudley saga namely The Wallows will be built. I have already started designing the buildings and canal lock. For any interested party the layout fits into my hatchback as per photos.

post-185-0-48201300-1476876417_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-00101700-1476876431.jpg

Should anyone be interested in acquiring the layout please pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

A touch of silliness as one of the industries is Allied Paints and Chemicals I thought why not have a paint spill. So one paint tin made with handle and lid. This will be added to the deck outside the factory with a worried workman looking on.

post-185-0-77473600-1478028664.jpg

This was taken on the bench so the paint is only for effect and the handle needs some attention.

There was a brilliant little 'spilt paint' scene on an exhibition layout I saw once - a half painted roof, a ladder, spilt paint on the floor, & a set of paint-coloured footprints leading off into another shed :lol:

Someone in RMweb Land will know the layout's name & have a picture...

Archived