Wellington Street

Mike

I really like this Mike. The juxtaposition of buildings which look as though they have been there for ever or at least they will be when you get round to the weathering, etc. They seem to sit naturally together and the overall effect is really convincing.

Rod

Oh no, I can almost hear the yawns not another Wellington Street update with a bit of colour being added to the buildings of
Doolittle & Waite and Allied Paints & Chemicals. The boards are still separate as it's easier for me to work on them. Still lots more work to do before I can complete the ground cover etc.

post-185-0-63277100-1458994422_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-98238700-1458994442_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-06353800-1458994468.jpg

post-185-0-52043000-1458994490.jpg

post-185-0-22056900-1458994514.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike you do yourself a dis-justice there by saying people will be yawning, not at all, it helps to inspire those of us that seem to be getting nowhere at the moment !!

Excellent modelling Sir

Craig.

Replacement building in its raw state and modified roof line on the boiler house. The new building is the polyester and varnish manufacturing with the staircase minus handrails etc., still WIP.. Pub build awaiting  purchase of Slaters roof tiles.

post-185-0-79937600-1460373878.jpg

post-185-0-51618400-1460373891.jpg

post-185-0-09762800-1460373904.jpg

Hi Mike,

Just catching up with progress, wonderful atmospheric modelling as ever, your ability to create an overall impression/scene is second to none. I love it! The buildings in particular are stunning :)

If you don't mind me asking... what were the reasons for you dropping the original trackplan in your first post (4 turnouts, 2 sidings etc) and goig for the traverser approach? Was it size constraints or due to operational reasons? I am considering that published plan as an option and just was being nosey as to why you changed your mind!

David

Looking grand Mike and I have a similar theme questions as per David above.

You mention in post 114 about a replacement building, the polyester and varnish works, what was the reason for replacing what was there before?

I've briefly scanned back but haven't found a reason for the replacement.

Sorry not being up to speed as I've been a bit busy with kitchen flooring, then the Tdryer failed just as the rainy weather came to visit.  Thank god for AO online order 1 day have it delivered 2 days later.

Cheers

Hi Both, the layout photos are of the 2 main boards which are currently apart and set at right angles to one another so that I can work on both without having to move from one end to the layout to the other. The replacement building is purely as I wasn't happy with the original and the new one seems more in keeping.

post-185-0-37842500-1460410953.jpg

Update. A bit of work on the Iron Duke Pub, interior needs doing and the roof needs the tiling finishing. The Simpkiss Brewery had a pub in Brierly Hill called the Wellington so it seemed suitable for them to own  the Iron Duke in Wellington Street.

post-185-0-73570200-1460545846.jpg

post-185-0-47176100-1460545872.jpg

post-185-0-55002000-1460545883.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Simpkiss. There's a happy memory. As indeed with quite a few small breweries around that part of the Black Country.

Edit to add: Just looked it up. Last brewed in 1985 when it was taken over by Greenall Whitley (who swallowed up several regionals around that time).

Simpkiss. There's a happy memory. As indeed with quite a few small breweries around that part of the Black Country.

Edit to add: Just looked it up. Last brewed in 1985 when it was taken over by Greenall Whitley (who swallowed up several regionals around that time).

Was it really that long ago? I used to know the brewer (well, a casual acquaintance).

Thankfully we still have Bathams.....

Loving the pub! where did the Iron Duke letters come from? they are much more life like than the printed out signs.

Pete.

Letters are from Slaters. The sign should really be The Iron Duke but I only had one letter E left and Iron Duck doesn't have the same ring to it.

There really should be an "Iron Duck" somewhere. I'd visit such a pub just to say I'd been.

Actually, I think the lack of an "e" may have done you a favour - the spacing of the letters (kerning?) works well in the available fascia width.

Looks great!

Best

Simon

Over the past few years I've really enjoyed not only learning more about British railways and railway modelling, but, to use a term, "all things British."  I have to say some of the names of small local pubs are interesting on so many levels and I often wonder what the background of the name is.  History based? local economy based? just a guy with a great sense of humor? I love it!  Did the Duke actually visit the area or actually grab a drink there?  Mike's level of modelling makes such imagination trips that much more enjoyable!!  

Archived