00-P A track and wheel compromise standard with a lot of potential and practical support

We'll sit and wait for the flood of pictures showing OO-P compliant stock running on layouts then alongside HO stuff. Any compromises in the track will be ignored because compromises are OK if they suit Andy's purpose.

BTW, Joe Fugate's "self-promoting" article? Bit rich that, coming from you. I did see though that you credit him with the idea on your website for the kit of parts you sell to use CV track bases as a jig. Very generous of you.

I specifically use the word Compromise Standard for 00-P. It's right there in the title of the topic. All UK 00 gauge RTR uses the same gauge and near 3.5 mm scale FB rail track. So I'm doing nothing worse, but making two off scale things nearer scale.

If the UK RTR has track compromises, I'm not the person responsible and a heck of a lot of you are happily ignoring that because it suits your purposes. Perhaps you could post to the real culprit(s) rather than pointlessly wasting everyone's time trying to transfer that gripe to me here?

Joe Fugate openly receives advertising revenues for publishing "popular modeling" articles in his magazine.  I've long ago publicly posted my concerns of the realism losses to him on his forum. But it was his article that stimulated me to make the craftsman version turnouts available, so I say so on principle.

I don't sell CV bases as jigs. I sell them to be used without PCB ties as originally intended, with full cooperation and encouragement of Jeff Parker of Central Valley. If you contact him,  he will likely recommend you use my crossings with his parts.

If anyone has no interest in, or prefers not to model to my Standard, there is no requirement read or post back to this topic. But it seems that many who don't like it subjectively can't resist continuing to interact with the topic. Goodness only knows why that should be.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert

• 5 months later...

The point is that Andy is desperately keen that everyone continues to use 16.5mm track, and sees the trend to 16.2mm (00-SF) as a threat to his Proto-87 product range.

16.2mm in the UK doesn't really affect him, but if it takes off in the USA (H0-SF, and Terry Flynn) for use with the increasingly popular code 88 wheels, Proto-87 would be all but dead. Its main selling point is that it uses the same track gauge as regular H0.

Also in the USA is the notion that turnouts can be changed from one standard to another by replacing the crossing and check rails, leaving the track gauge the same. No one in the UK would dream of doing that, we would just build a new one. But we don't have the massive layouts with hundreds of turnouts in situ which are common in the USA.

There's maybe a niche market of a handful of users for 00-P in the UK, so we may as well get the dimensions sorted out.

regards,

Martin.

A group of modelers who built a NSW Proto87 exhibition layout have now reverted back to various more popular easier to build H0 standards. My prediction is Andy will be the only builder to 00-P.

Cheers,

Terry Flynn.

• RMweb Gold

OO-P only seems useful if you want to run 1:76 and 1:87 models on the same track. I can see that works for some people but I think that most of us with an interest in both scales would rather build two separate layouts, to whatever track standard.

I am more familiar with P87 in a European context than elsewhere in the world. Like S4 for 4mm modellers, it is a much more demanding standard than ordinary HO. But I would still disagree with Terry about its future. There will always be people who want greater fidelity.

• 3 years later...
On 23/06/2015 at 16:50, martin_wynne said:

But Andy is claiming that there is a sub-set of this user base who want to do the same thing using exact-scale wheels and flangeways. If there are any such modellers, they must be vanishingly few

Count me as one of them. I have Swiss stock and would liked to have converted them to P87...but the number of wheel suppliers appears to have dropped to almost zero. I therefore intend to use P4 wheels and flangeways as a compromise which will improve the appearance of trains and track no end.