Sound Hornby J94. Anyone done?

shedman

I'm thinking of putting a Loksound Micro into a Hornby J94, with the speaker in the floor of the cab. Has anyone tried this, please? Which is the best sound project? The loco already has a non sound chip hard wired in, with the weight part cut away. Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I would think that the best place for the speaker would be in the bunker, ideally with one of the Loksound twin speaker units rather than the weedy speaker suppied as standard with the Micro 50447 speaker.

I wouls also consider getting some lead to replace whatever is left of the weight to get some traction back biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Yep it's very tight.

http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=10&t=23570

I used the South West Digital LMS Mogul sound and mounted the supplied speaker on the cab floor so it's hidden by the crew. The main problem is the wheel pickups are a bit dodgy so it's worth tweaking them to make sure you have good contact. I didn't replace any of the weight I removed as the layout is flat and it easily handles a rake of 16t mineral wagons. If you have gradients then squeezing in some replacement lead might help but make sure there is air space around the decoder and also turn the volume down a bit as some have reported it overheating the chip on max volume. The other advantage of turning it down is the load dependant sound works as well, (if it's maxxed out it has no extra volume to use- it's a bit hidden in the manual that one!)

The supplied speaker is a bit weak as mentioned, adequate for home use but not much hope of being heard at a show.

Archived