Hemel Hempsted Midland - An O Gauge Railway in a garage - or how to ignore all the advice and just crack on

RobJC

Hi Rob

Nice to see somone else is modelling this line too.

I have the book aluded to in t prvious post and am planning on a using features of the Nicky Line when I finally start on my model in the new house next year down in KL Sadly this weekend was spent in dismantling and boxing up the current layout in Hemel.

Julian

Hi Julian

It is always a sad time when one has to break down a layout that has probably taken several years to build. This has happened to me on several occasions but I always manage to console myself with the thought that it is an exciting time and the next layout will be even better. There is nothing like a fresh start on a new project.

Rod

Hi All,

Not been around much recently so little work's been done on the layout.

It's good to see the comments coming in though so thanks for those.

A few weeks back I filmed the testing to see what came out, having been "inspired" by videos posted by other members on here and the GOG forum.  I only had 20 minutes spare and didn't want to start anything major on the build front.  It's up on You-tube if anyone is interested in taking a look. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZm5gwIUeSQ&feature=youtu.be

Hope to have some more tangible progress to report soon.

Regards

Rob

• 7 months later...

Been many a month since the last post.  Other activities intervened and at Easter, when work was due to start on the layout again, we decided to move house! We managed to sell in less than 3 weeks so it all has to come up and be put away until we are settled again. That is unlikely to be this year though as the house won't be ready until September.

The layout will live again.

• 11 months later...

11 Months since the last post and 6 months since the house move getting the garage sorted out (where on earth did we keep all that stuff before?), after a couple of weeks of evening and weekend activity the layout is back to where I got to before taking it all apart.

As the layout wasn’t very advanced most of track came up without damage so has been reused but I have adjusted the alignment slightly to give a more prototypical curve through the station and it will also allow slightly deeper scenery.

It was given a thorough testing this afternoon and the Lima based 2F ran well but the rolling stock needs a good oiling as it sounded as if all the brakes were dragging. Quite effective though – who needs DCC sound?

I am also in the midst of bodging up the beginnings of the branch passenger train in odd moments, a 1P tank, again using a LIMA 4F mechanism and the usual bits and pieces and a 4 wheel brake third which is on a shortened LIMA 4 wheel chassis, initially as a “screen flat” drawn up on the PC, printed out on photo paper and stuck to a wooden body. 

Next in line are the second passenger carriage, storage cassettes (plastic guttering from Wickes) and then the scenery can begin.

post-25056-0-13381200-1490476902_thumb.jpg

post-25056-0-60604000-1490476921_thumb.jpg

post-25056-0-57100400-1490476932_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see ypu are off and running again.

I have managed to get the baseboards laid in my railway room, but swmbo and her son have been wasting my time on other trivial tasks such as laying lawns, digging and installing ponds. Then I found the Series 1 Land Rover had a failing front dumb iron so sourcing a new chassis section and finding someone to replace that has taken up much of my time. Still fettling the garage and getting shelves into the railway room but soon can start test arranging track.

On the brighter side I watched the Flying Scotsman pass through Cheddington station yesterday.

Good to see ypu are off and running again.

I have managed to get the baseboards laid in my railway room, but swmbo and her son have been wasting my time on other trivial tasks such as laying lawns, digging and installing ponds. Then I found the Series 1 Land Rover had a failing front dumb iron so sourcing a new chassis section and finding someone to replace that has taken up much of my time. Still fettling the garage and getting shelves into the railway room but soon can start test arranging track.

On the brighter side I watched the Flying Scotsman pass through Cheddington station yesterday.

Hi Megatoad,

Unbelievable expectations haven't they?

Interesting parallels here though, what with my (our?) new house soaking up time and money, my yearning for a S1 (not addressed from the sale of our previous house as hoped - "You've got too many things on the go already!") and the fact that I was on a train home from Euston yesterday and must have gone right past FS but sadly didn't see it!  My dearest told me about it when I got home.

I am managing an hour at a time a couple of evenings a week though (normally those evenings when SWMBO works later) so have done the cassettes.  Next on the list is the start of the sceniccing (if that's a word).  

Good luck with your endeavours too.

The fine art of bodgery - a couple of pics of the storage cassettes.

Wickes guttering, peco track,  wire and connectors from Halfords, held together with solder and hot glue, located by strip wood guides glued to the board. Not pretty but they do the job.

Quite pleased.

post-25056-0-65104000-1492031433_thumb.jpg

post-25056-0-97183900-1492031458_thumb.jpg

Archived