Hull & Barnsley H1 2-4-0 Scratch-build

I do remember seeing some photos of Wath H and B station but I cannot for the life of me remember where! One showed a passenger train in the station, another was looking over the station and I seem to remember it showed a very substantial goods shed which appeared to be built of the same red brick as the two surviving buildings. I think the sidings from this survived for some time, as part of the Wath main/ Manvers main/ Wath yard complex. 

My two uncles drove the NCB shunting locos at Manvers - I had loads of footplate rides as a kid in the sixties and wished I had taken in more of what was there. Left home in 76 and all of a sudden it was all gone.

Has anyone tried Wath Library for photographs?. I could have a look next time I am there.

• Like 1

Lovely to see you back here Dave. The cab is a real masterpiece, not easy to roll at all and something I need to master if i'm building H&B prototypes !

ATB Mick

Lovely to see you back here Dave. The cab is a real masterpiece, not easy to roll at all and something I need to master if i'm building H&B prototypes !

ATB Mick

Thanks for your kind comments Mick. I think the real fun will start when I start to form the firebox with its reverse curves.

Davey

Yes indeed. Beats the hell out of Ashburton, doesn't it? That would be very close to my ideal layout, if I had the space and indeed the time.

I would have to agree, Wath would make a wonderful subject for a branch terminus.

Davey

• 4 weeks later...

Since my last post #19, I have made new rear (inside cab) splashers, since I wasn't entirely happy with my first attempt at fabricating new ones. The attached photographs, show the cab soldered in position on the footplate, the whole mounted on the wheeled main frames. As you will see from the pictures, there is still a fair bit of cleaning up to be done before I am happy with the assembly. I think it's worth repeating at this point that from the original etches, only the following have been used - front buffer beam, rear buffer beam, cab spectacle plate, cab side/roof sheet, sand boxes and the footsteps. Everything else is scratch built apart from wheels, hornblocks and axleboxes.

Davey

post-10693-0-41135300-1493749413_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-84532600-1493749429_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-01142700-1493749448_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-97670800-1493749464_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-22407200-1493749506_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-90414500-1493749529_thumb.jpg

post-10693-0-03262300-1493749549_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 years later...

Hi Davey

I hope you are well. How did your project go? It looks great. I'm keen to scratch-build an H1 and wondered how to get hold of some drawings, did you find any?

Kind regards

Simon

Simon, drawings of the H as built appeared in a c1964 Model Railway News, I used these to build a model some forty years ago. Copy's of the original drawings are now available from the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology. I have numerious photo's.

5240A  H1 No34 Accident of 23 December 1903 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much indeed Mick, I've got the excellent book that includes that rather alarming photo and which inspired me to try to build one of these brilliant looking beasts! I'll get in contact with the museum too.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately, the kit I am using for the basis of this model, produced by Laurie Griffin Miniatures, although not designed by him, is an absolute nightmare, and is sorely trying my patience! It has effectively now become a total scratch build.

Fortunately, the kit came with a 7mm scale drawing on an A3 sheet, which means I have no means of photocopying it. However, if you are willing to cover the cost, I can get it professionally copied and post you a copy. Let me know what you think.

Davey

• 5 months later...

Hi Simon.

I'm fine thanks, hope you are too.

Very little progress to report recently. It seems that most of the etchings are dimensionally or prototypically incorrect, or both! Consequently this build becomes more and more of a scratch-build project. The whole project to date can be likened to walking through a minefield!

I will of course post details of any progress I make...…...but don't hold your breath please.

Davey

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/05/2019 at 20:30, Davey said:

Hi Peter,

All I know about the kit is that it was designed by a Danish gentleman, who now sadly has passed away.

Davey

Zenith Models ? , if yes they did a Q10 in 4mm, which was shown as a test build then disapeared , never saw any for sale , or a 7mm kit advertised at that time.

Hi Davey; progress always seems to go slowly for me too...here's something I've been finishing off which will leave the way open for my H1, which I think I'll definately scratch-build on hearing of your fun with the kit and I look forward to further updates from you!1428241284_P1110720(1024x548).jpg.5f66956b2388096f8cd228479882474e.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, sej said:

Hi Davey, I hope you are well. Did you continue with your H1 project?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm sorry to report, that since my last post, way back in December 2019, I have made no further progress with my H1 build, and in all honesty the project has totally stalled. Many thanks for your enquiry. 

Best wishes,

Davey