Plywood bace boards

I've just started a new layout with 9mm plywood base boards and I would like to ask am I ok to use pva for the Ballest and other stuff on it?.Not sure about it soaking in and warping the boards is there something to seal them or is that a bit to far?

• RMweb Premium

You should be fine applying PVA to ply but it is considered good practice by some modellers to always paint woodwork first before adding any track or scenery.  That protects and preserves it notwithstanding the fact that you are likely to punch pin holes onto it for your track and possibly make larger holes for wires and point motors.  Don't soak or flood the wood though - that's asking for trouble.

• RMweb Premium

Personally although I have used ply based boards for a good number of years, as the normal type of box like construction can act a bit like a drumming board - and especially if thinner 4mm/6mm ply is used in the mix - I tend to lay the track onto cork. Although many claim it's not much good for sound deadening I find it does help. Usually I cover the whole baseboard surface, gluing the cork down with ordinary wood glue variety pva. This then tends to act as a barrier layer with whatever you put on top, track/ballast glued down with more pva etc. I often used simple poster paints for track/ballast painting put down with fair quantities of water, and I have never had a baseboard react yet.

Izzy

I prefer Copydex for track laying - it is not as rigid as PVA and so lessens the drumming issue. Never had an issue with PVA warping good quality ply (ISTR the ply layers are stuck together with it in the factory)

• RMweb Gold

I prefer Copydex for track laying - it is not as rigid as PVA and so lessens the drumming issue. Never had an issue with PVA warping good quality ply (ISTR the ply layers are stuck together with it in the factory)

I use a similar latex based adhesive for track laying which although holding the track in place has a certain "sponginess" about it.

Ply is generally made using a resin based glue which is cured by high pressure (clamping)

Archived