London Festival of Railway Modelling - Ally Pally - 27/28th March

Scale7JB

• RMweb Gold

The hammeristh and city is working between baker street and east london

Thank you.

If my C2C train stops at Limehouse, I'll probably go via DLR to Bank and the Underground to Kings Cross. Otherwise if the train isn't going to stop at Limehouse I'll get on the Hammersmith and City at West Ham. If it gets down to replacement bus alternatives I may drive to Ally Pally.

Tony

We'11 be flying the "Stealth Bomber" into the West Hall next weekend.

The advantage for layouts with suitable lighting is that it is fairly dark in there and a lot cooler if the sun comes out, when the main hall can get uncomfortably hot in the afternoon. Note the destruction of fiddle yard tracks due to expansion in previous years!

Mal

Yes, I'd definitely like to see the K2 in action B) I'll be over to say hello at some point on the Sunday then, even if it isn't at 13:00, depending on whether I can escape from the layout I'm helping to operate.

I see from the main hall plan that both of Frank Dyer's layouts, Borchester Market and Hardwicke Grange are going to be next to each other. Pity that the Market isn't a through station otherwise one could run straight onto the other. Borchester will also be viewable from 3 sides, this will include both the GN and GC fiddleyards and since I'm probably going to be around the back most of the weekend if anyone is interested and asks nicely then you'll probably get a guided tour. It's worth a look just for the scratchbuilt scissor crossing ###### double slip pointwork in the GN fiddleyard and it will probably be the last time that we'll show the GC fiddleyard in its current state, it's got some ex Borchester Town fibre sleepered track and pointwork.

• RMweb Premium

Despite calling on every single favour I have banked over two years to try and swap my rest day to Saturday I have been unsuccessful so it looks like I shall have to negotiate the ruddy engineering works and go on the Sunday instead. I had better start out early methinks so those going on Saturday, try and leave me a few bargains to pick up when I finally get there!!!

Looking forward to attending my first show as a RMWebber... now that I'm starting to get into the swing of things, to browsing the numerous goodies stalls, to possibly meeting people with a very similar interst and to being inspired by the layouts. See you on Saturday (Southern, Northern and Piccadilly permitting):).

I shall be on my way soon. However the lack of British N gauge is dissappointing. As mentioned elsewhere, not having a British outline layout in a major UK scale (which is now probably the second most popular) does rather seems to undermine any aspirations to being a major show - it certainly doesn't represent the whole hobby. But I'm still going and looking forward to enjoying it.

G.

Archived