London Festival of Railway Modelling - Ally Pally - 27/28th March

Scale7JB

A bit spiteful, but hey-ho everyone is entitled to their opinion. We'll take your comments on board, but at this rate I'm beginning to think that the best thing to do is retire it, in fact stop wasting our time.

I really hope not and it was the precise opposite of a waste of time. I very much enjoyed seeing Borchester again and hope to do so in future. But frankly, though it was good to see the range of movements the layout is capable of, the precise nature of that operation wasn't crucial to my enjoyment. Some people will obviously enjoy seeing it worked to a timetable and that's fine but I'd have got a lot from it even if it had been static.

What bothers me about these comments is that we seem to be getting into another of those intolerances that constantly plague our hobby. It's an exhibition of railway modelling not a circus and maybe we've got into a bit too much emphasis on keeping up a constant flow of entertainment. There are very many approaches to railway modelling from a total emphasis on timetable operation to beautifully modelled scenes with the occasional train and surely an exhibition on this scale can afford to encompass the broadest range- including classic layouts that dedicated work has kept in existence.

Sorry chaps more of the same. had a great ride up on the high speed. in the exhibition by 9.50. There were some nice models. But after over 40 years of model railways I've never seen so much finger pokin of locos. And that goes for Borchester Market as well. Also Lots of stands trying to off load the same 2nd hand stuff. and the staff on some of the big stands had little interest. we had to wait to be served while the chap on the Bachmann stand had his cup of tea.

See what next year holds.

bob & Nigel

• RMweb Gold

From my perspective, having moved to Barcelona almost 3 years ago I hardly get to attend exhibitions these days so I would just like to thank all those who have posted pictures.

Its been a few years since I last exhibited and I will be doing so again next month at a small exhibition so it has been interesting to follow this thread.

I would just like to add that if anyone has any critiscisms, I for one, would prefer to be told about them directly at the exhibition, so at least you can respond accordingly, rather than read about them on a public forum.

Excellent show !

But to find five layouts at an exhibition to suit my tastes was bliss !

My final post on this subject quotes from my first....

Come and hurl abuse at me at Melksham next week

Continuing non-confrontational regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

It's funny you mention this - I felt the opposite was true this time, that there were quite a few younger people there both boys and girls, and also a few women too. At other shows I've had the distinct impression that it's a male, middle-aged to retirees only club...blink.gif

I must have missed them - more on Sunday than Saturday but compared with our show in Leeds I would have hoped t o ahve seen a lot more young people - or is it that we don't charge for accompanied children?

In addition to my videos, here's a few of my photos from last Sunday

B%20088.JPG

Happisburgh

B%20081.JPG

Happisburgh

B%20091.JPG

Happisburgh

B%20093.JPG

Happisburgh

B%20192.JPG

Happisburgh

B%20075.JPG

Cornwallis Yard

B%20034.JPG

Auchinraith

B%20030.JPG

Auchinraith

B%20018.JPG

Wibdenshaw

B%20013.JPG

Wibdenshaw

B%20003.JPG

Wibdenshaw

B%20100.JPG

Wipers

B%20097.JPG

Wipers

B%20137.JPG

Montague Field

B%20204.JPG

Ascott Under Wychwood

P3280032.JPG

Rushen Valley

P3280036.JPG

Rushen Valley

Paul

Not at all. But it's like being force fed a diet of only coarse scale Hornby doublo three rail OO layouts when you're an EM enthusiasts or vicky verky - sometimes it's nice to see what scale/gauge you actually model in, if just for a reference as to give a clue as where you are with your modelling efforts. I'm sure that model railways is a broad enough church to encompass N gauge as much as 2mm finescale - after all there are some pretty good, fine and decent enough running N gauge layouts, just as much as there are some pretty dull and poor 2mm ones. The old 'there's not enough decent N gauge layouts' excuse is pretty hackneyed now and I'm sorry that some exhibition managers may need to go the extra mile to find something suitable.

Anyway, off the cuff I'd suggest the following as more than acceptable quality N gauge layouts (compared to many other scale offerings at some exhibitions); Totnes, Basingstoke, St Denys, Scarworth Junction, Law Junction, Ashburton, Bridgford, Bishop Wearburn and Shaweport. Sure, some have already attended Ally Pally but presumably previous attendance is not an issue as Copenhagen Fields has been twice on the trot

However, I do accept that the problem with lists of quality N gauge layouts is that it's very subjective as to what is deemed quality enough to be included and in order to increase the length of the list the quality threshold barrier tends to get lowered. But none of that negates the fact that there was a pretty poor showing of N gauge at Ally Pally. After all as already mentioned; not having a British outline layout in a major UK scale (which is now probably the second most popular) does rather seem to undermine any aspirations to being a major show - it certainly doesn't represent the whole hobby.

G.

Thanks for including our layout, Scarworth Junction in this very illustrious list Grahame. Sorry to go slightly off thread, but we limit our show visits to six a year because it is difficult to get the 4 regular operators (and builders) together any more than this and operation of the layout can suffer if an extra is brought in, no matter how well instructed. So, the availability of the operators must also be taken into account, even if there are enough suitable quality N/2mm layouts out there. As a footnote, Hornby magazine renamed our layout in the March edition article. We have gone along with this because after the article most people will know it by that name. The full name now is The North of England Line - Scarworth Junction. Any exhibition managers interested please PM me. Mike. (Next show Hartlepool 10/11 July.)

Adding some photos of the show:

post-80-12698740298_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Hardwick Grange (I think the stock is Frank Dyer's)

Hi,

Yes, most of the stock is all original built by frank himself although a couple of club members (we now have ownership of the layout) have added some new items to replace those kept by the Dyer family.

Really enjoyed Ally Pally (well what I got to see of it anyway, I did complete my main objective for going though), it was a good show. i was quite impressed, this being my first visit to the event.

Cheers

Archived