New Great Western Livery

How different in appearance is the Hitachi AT300 from the Class 395?

The Class 395 is also part of the AT300 family, but quite different from the SET trains ordered by the IEP and by FGW (being called AT300).

The impression I had was that the only external similarity between the AT300 (otherwise known as SET or class 800 series) and the class 395 would be the end cabs and front profiles; but it appears they are quite different.

Different windscreen shape, different lights in a different position, completely different windscreen wipers, slightly different nose profile, different shaped coupler doors and different deflector skirts/fairings. The class 395 also has those bulges on the lower nose side, that the 800 doesn't have.

Altogether a different looking cab front. I must admit surprise as I'd only expected minor differences, such as the light units.

The train vehicles are different in length, with the longer IEP and FGW ordered trains having 26 metre long vehicles, with an end vestibule door arrangement and tapered coach ends.

I can't tell from photos if the windows are different sizes , but there are obviously more of them in the longer inter city trains.

I bet Hornby will still get the livery wrong..... !

Shhhh. It might turn out better!

Then again, it's not that difficult for Hornby to be confused - the Night Riviera and the HSTs both have the slanty Matt Band, but at opposite ends of the Mk3s to each other!

Returning to the topic of livery. The new colour is functional rather than showy. It is cheap to maintain to a high standard and is a recognisable brand colour. It is designed specifically for its purpose. FGW are operating at or near full capacity and gaining further passengers through flashy livery applications will create problems of overcrowding.The company is trying to solve this overcrowding by buying bigger trains and creating more seats plus abolishing catering on the London route thus saving on a catering vehicle. They are unable to control numbers by economic means and put up fares so dumbing down is their chosen option. Plymouth and Cornwall have no motorway or airport to compete with mass travel. FGW have done their homework on this and long term they need to hold useage to manageable levels. Some London bound HSTs are pretty unbearable with overcrowding.The plain livery is entirely appropriate they don't have to sell themselves on livery.

...It is designed specifically for its purpose. FGW are operating at or near full capacity and gaining further passengers through flashy livery applications will create problems of overcrowding....

They are unable to control numbers by economic means and put up fares so dumbing down is their chosen option.

FGW have done their homework on this and long term they need to hold useage to manageable levels...

Ah! So the new livery is deliberately drab and uninspiring so as to put off or scare off potential passengers?

What's next, an advertising campaign?

"Don't take the train - it's a complete pain"

"If you're going far - take the car"

"The ages on the train"

Edited by Oakydoke

Returning to the topic of livery. The new colour is functional rather than showy. It is cheap to maintain to a high standard and is a recognisable brand colour. It is designed specifically for its purpose. FGW are operating at or near full capacity and gaining further passengers through flashy livery applications will create problems of overcrowding.The company is trying to solve this overcrowding by buying bigger trains and creating more seats plus abolishing catering on the London route thus saving on a catering vehicle. They are unable to control numbers by economic means and put up fares so dumbing down is their chosen option. Plymouth and Cornwall have no motorway or airport to compete with mass travel. FGW have done their homework on this and long term they need to hold useage to manageable levels. Some London bound HSTs are pretty unbearable with overcrowding.The plain livery is entirely appropriate they don't have to sell themselves on livery.

Um, that's an "interesting" business plan.....

The new HST interiors look nice too. I was on 1C22 from Didcot to Taunton tonight. TRFB 40718 and TF 41116 have been refurbished and rebranded internally but not yet repainted.

post-6959-0-90433300-1441738401.jpg

post-6959-0-08577400-1441738428.jpg

post-6959-0-78044600-1441738435.jpg

post-6959-0-73012200-1441738448.jpg

post-6959-0-77274900-1441738552.jpg

The blue lights are to make the power and USB outlets easy to find in the dark.

Cheers

David

• Like 10

To get sets in the right place for the franchise launch, sometime this weekend both Night Riviera sets are being swapped ecs. This presents the rare opportunity to photograph both sets passing each other in daylight. Keep an eye on Realtime trains..... . One set will be all green apart from b coach.

any idea what day the night riviera is suppost to suppost to be swapping over?

And what day is the launch?

• RMweb Gold

The new HST interiors look nice too. I was on 1C22 from Didcot to Taunton tonight. TRFB 40718 and TF 41116 have been refurbished and rebranded internally but not yet repainted.

attachicon.gifDSC_0386.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0387.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0383.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0377.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0378.JPG

Cheers

David

The only problem with them is the abysmal 'bus type layout of some of the seats which tends to make the area you are sitting in feel a bit claustrophobics.  The seats themselves aren't too bad and the overall styling is quite pleasant I've found.

However the worst part of the whole change is the ludicrous conversion of one of the 1sts into a compo which is a right nonsense as it doesn't fit with the markings on the platforms or announcements telling passengers that Standard Class is towards the rear/front!

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSC_0378.JPG

Cheers

David

In the dark? Surely the main interior lights would normally be on? I think it's just more "bling" than anything else.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

In the dark? Surely the main interior lights would normally be on? I think it's just more "bling" than anything else.

Cheers,

Mick

Just like the low level blue floor lights on some local upmarket bus services!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Time for brass nameplate.... ! Thanks to engineering works, the passing of the Night Riviera sets in daylight will be happening at Old Oak. The Friday night down will now be going up ecs Saturday morning and the Sunday up will come down Sunday ecs to start the Night up at Plymouth. Confused.... . It's messed up the maintenance schedules big time what with the swapping and shunting. No sign of the first west unit in green yet.

Time for brass nameplate.... ! Thanks to engineering works, the passing of the Night Riviera sets in daylight will be happening at Old Oak. The Friday night down will now be going up ecs Saturday morning and the Sunday up will come down Sunday ecs to start the Night up at Plymouth. Confused.... . It's messed up the maintenance schedules big time what with the swapping and shunting. No sign of the first west unit in green yet.

Thanks for all the info, can I ask if you know an approx time through Exeter St.Davids please ?