jamie92208

Moves at Limoges and other French Photos

Whilst scanning a batch of unsorted slides that I found in a box this one turned up.   Fortunately the station name gives a clue to date and place.   It's taken between Chalon Sur Soane and Macon, on the ex PLM main line in Burgundy.   From memory we were en route back home form the south of France on a family holiday, roundabout 1990.

983535821_SlidesOS0031985.jpg.1b8c60c0026c2b9a48a642412d3e0ce8.jpg

If anyone has any other info I would be grateful as all my pencil markings have been rubbed off the slide. As it would probably have been taken in the evening I would guess from the lighting that it was a northbound express. Funny to think that those very modern looking coaches are the same type that are now being scrapped.

Jamie

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Whilst scanning a batch of unsorted slides that I found in a box this one turned up.   Fortunately the station name gives a clue to date and place.   It's taken between Chalon Sur Soane and Macon, on the ex PLM main line in Burgundy.   From memory we were en route back home form the south of France on a family holiday, roundabout 1990.

983535821_SlidesOS0031985.jpg.1b8c60c0026c2b9a48a642412d3e0ce8.jpg

If anyone has any other info I would be grateful as all my pencil markings have been rubbed off the slide. As it would probably have been taken in the evening I would guess from the lighting that it was a northbound express. Funny to think that those very modern looking coaches are the same type that are now being scrapped.

Jamie

Could be a trick of the light but it looks as though there are a couple of German coaches on the back end. So probably a Lyon-Strasbourg or Lyon-Metz train.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zooming in I reckon the last two coaches are a USI (penultimate) and UIC (last carriage) in the standard green/grey livery.   Both coaches are different with the USI coach having a lower body than the back one. 

the loco looks to be BB7322 so a dc only one.  Either heading to Paris or, if heading towards Strasbourg/Metz would require a loco change at Dijon.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kintbury jon said:

Zooming in I reckon the last two coaches are a USI (penultimate) and UIC (last carriage) in the standard green/grey livery.   Both coaches are different with the USI coach having a lower body than the back one. 

the loco looks to be BB7322 so a dc only one.  Either heading to Paris or, if heading towards Strasbourg/Metz would require a loco change at Dijon.  

I considered that but the upper part looks more cream than silver/grey.

If I remember the map correctly, there would be a reversal at Dijon so a change of loco not an issue, indeed likely.

If indeed the two at the back are SNCF stock (I take your point about apparent height difference), this is probably a Lyon - Dijon semi-fast on a busy day when a couple of extra coaches were needed. ISTR there were some trains from further south that terminated at Dijon but I think they would have a longer set of Corails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I considered that but the upper part looks more cream than silver/grey.

If I remember the map correctly, there would be a reversal at Dijon so a change of loco not an issue, indeed likely.

If indeed the two at the back are SNCF stock (I take your point about apparent height difference), this is probably a Lyon - Dijon semi-fast on a busy day when a couple of extra coaches were needed. ISTR there were some trains from further south that terminated at Dijon but I think they would have a longer set of Corails.

I wonder if the two rear coaches are for 'permissionaires' going on, or returning from, leave? Such traffic, either entire trains, or portions, lasted until the end of National Service in the late 1990s. Certain stations served as concentration points, where trains from all over France would converge. I remember an ill-advised stay in a hotel overlooking Reims station, where we had to sleep with the window open; several RSMs (or equivalent) would be bellowing out unit names and platforms all night.

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I wonder if the two rear coaches are for 'permissionaires' going on, or returning from, leave? Such traffic, either entire trains, or portions, lasted until the end of National Service in the late 1990s. Certain stations served as concentration points, where trains from all over France would converge. I remember an ill-advised stay in a hotel overlooking Reims station, where we had to sleep with the window open; several RSMs (or equivalent) would be bellowing out unit names and platforms all night.

That's certainly a possibility. Defence ministry payments to the SNCF for transporting all those servicemen on leave was a major contributor to the railway budget. I had forgotten that there were a lot of squaddies based near Reims. Army buses collected them from the station.

There was also quite a large Foreign Legion recruitment/training barracks in the city. It was placed unfortunately close to some of the womens' university student hostels.

One interesting working which was mainly for the convenience of the army was a train from Paris-Est to Lindau, a good modellers' excuse for SNCF stock on a DB layout.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info about the slidebof 7322.  I discovered yesterdayvyhst itvwas from mid July 1992.  We were heading up towards Koblenz from Frejus with the caravan so Chalons Sur Soane was a good stop off.  

On a totally unrelated subject, uf anyone has access to the June issuevof Rail Passion it is well worth a read.  The lead article is a detailed account if how SNCF has reinvented the ambulance train to take, sedated and intubated Covid-9 patients, from overloaded  ICU's in Grand Est and Paris to hospitals in the west and South West who had spare capacity. By good fortune an exercise had been run in 2019 from Metz to Paris so when Covid hit they had a good idea what they needed. They used two double deck TGV's in multiple. The first had SNCF personnel, spare drivers, managets, technicians etc. The second was medical with enough supplies to be a hospital ICU for 24 intubated patients. The lower decks in 1st class were set up as rest/mess roons for the medics. Each trip was planned 48 hrs in advance and a total of  8 were run to places such as Nantes, Poitiers, Bordeaux  from Mulhouse or Paris. Stores included 450 oxygen cylinders plus a lot of batteries in case of power failure. The operation was refined as it went on and a speed of 220 kph was found to give the most comtortable ride. Apparently these were the first ambulance trains run since WW2.  The article is understandable  even with my O level French and is well worth a read.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It was rumoured that Mr Shapp had a similar plan but using laid up Pacers 

• Funny 4

6 minutes ago, enginelane said:

It was rumoured that Mr Shapp had a similar plan but using laid up Pacers 

At least if patients had been bounced along for any distance then hospitalisation would be neither an issue or a requirement!

Mike.

• Funny 2

I got out to play for another hour or so today and Andy, my mate was allowed out as well.  We went and sat on Ruffec station for an hour and saw three freights, all  northbound.   First up was 222287 in all over silver on a very short 3 wagon infrastructure train.

P6040500.JPG.e1314b44b0e2a11016dbb7d4539cbe78.JPG

This was routed through the northbound loop then was followed 15 minutes later by the regular LPG and steel train. 27070 was a cop for me.

P6040502.JPG.d782637ca00eb0a2a9778b4279333061.JPG

Then 20 minutes later 27001 rolled by with the tanktainers.

P6040503.JPG.36fd21ba280fc5d1ccce5be5c801486b.JPG

We were very happy with that and put the world to rights before heading back to Andy's for a cuppa. All in all a very pleasant way of passing a bit of time.

Jamie

• Like 7

I had an evening out earlier this week and spent it sitting on Ruffec station and tried some night photogrpahy. First though I stopped briefly on Saturday and caught a long freight heading north at lunchtime behind 27004, which I needed.

P6270546.JPG.1aa39803adb2ee1dd335fd66bdffda69.JPG

Later on Monday evening this familiar sight emerged out of the gloom

P6290549.JPG.9c27be3f023680cb4593b4a748d47f68.JPG

66029 heading north on a grain train.   Later on after sunset I tried to take a photo but just got glare from the headlights.

P6290552.JPG.9a89d255b66d70006b2aaf2621838d60.JPG

There was quite a lot of traffic from 22.30 onwards with double headed freights, another grain train behind 66242, a Vossloh G2000 light engine and a 186 on intermodal. All but one heading north.

Jamie

• Like 4