Guilford paint equivalents

Hi All

Has anyone recently painted a Guilford loco, I am thinking about painting one of my locos but need to source suitable colours, model junction has not got any guilford paints listed, so I would need to source from my local model shop

thanks

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin,

I was in the same position some time ago...

Could not find anything near the same for the grey colour,

I've used DB (proper German one - Not DBS) Red for the crimson/red.

Eventually managed to get some Poly Scale Guilford Grey from the US.

These days...

If you have a Guilford Grey loco - take it into Halfords and ask them to match it in acrylic paint.

Are you into HO or N?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

This is for one of my S scale U18B's, good idea about Halfords I was going to take a photo through to the model shop in Dingwall to see if I could match the colours to something from the tamiya range.

Colin

HI Colin,

There is a very near match in Tamiya - just can't remember which!

Try XF63 - German Grey;- once weathered would probably be a very near match.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've been using the IPMS paint Conversion chart since I first discovered it some time ago:-

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

It includes historic conversion details about paint ranges that are no longer available or have been swept up into other paint producers ranges.

For the most part - I agree with the listings although I have found one or two that are not really an equivalent, but are very close.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Decals have arrived today courtesy of Jim at Highball Graphics a nice custom made set for the 406 and 407. Grey paint now in hand and now I have the cab side numbers I can get the correct size for the stripes. I found a humbrol matt which looks right for faded orange, otherwise it'll need to be tamiya clear orange with maybe a few drops of black. The first of the U18b's is in primer now so hope to progress in the next few weeks.

Colin

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Related to this - in fact very related - does anyone know of a UK supplier of Tru Color paints, or a good match for MEC pine green, gold and yellow?

Hi Simon,

Not found an importer over here yet.

For MEC paint scheme I have used the following....

MEC Pine Green - Humbrol 120 Dark Green over grey primer

MEC Harvest Yellow - Humbrol 18 - Orange over white primer

MEC Gold - Humbrol 16 - Gold over white primer

MEC Maroon - Humbrol 20 - Crimson over red primer

Of course - all of this depends on the period you are modelling!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Decals have arrived today courtesy of Jim at Highball Graphics a nice custom made set for the 406 and 407. Grey paint now in hand and now I have the cab side numbers I can get the correct size for the stripes. I found a humbrol matt which looks right for faded orange, otherwise it'll need to be tamiya clear orange with maybe a few drops of black. The first of the U18b's is in primer now so hope to progress in the next few weeks.

Colin

Made some progress, horn is not quite correct and the end stripes are not wide enough.

post-637-0-47714900-1473352815_thumb.jpeg

Archived