The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

over32? read this

peanuts

• RMweb Premium

Back on to the pop bottles, I think I remember seeing the odd one in the early 80s, although I was young then and may be getting memories confused with people just talking about them. What I'm more certain about are seeing ones with "non refundable" (or something similar) on them, suggesting that if returning them had stopped it probably hadn't been stopped for very long.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79414-pghs-photographs-of-british-railways-from-c1960/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1259559

In April 1962 I rode the Wellington to Much Wenlock line in single unit railcar and then from Buildwas Junction down the Severn Valley line as far as Bewdley.

post-14569-0-58347100-1386375212.jpg

Bewdley Station, somewhat more deserted than you would find it today !

Many, many thanks for that.

In the summer of 1962 I was 13 years old. I remember arriving on my bike on a glorious summer's day and sitting on that very seat with my bar of chocolate and a bottle of pop. A pannier tank was shunting those very wagons in the back road, and I watched fascinated as the shunter flicked the 3-link coupling onto the hook, seemingly without effort. Seeing my interest he kindly asked me if I would like to have a go. Needless to say I failed miserably, although with a bit of help I eventually got it hooked up again.

We had the entire station to ourselves, in timeless silence. It was a magical day, but even at that young age I had an uneasy sense that it was all under threat.

Amazing that it is all still there, when so much else has gone.

Many thanks again for the pic.

Martin.

Close. We are a problem creating species.....

Modern, wooly thinking, nonsense.

We are what we are, what evolution has made us. An inquisitive, creative, highly intelligent (compared to all other life on this planet) primate capable of wondrous invention. Yes, sometimes those advances create problems and we then try to solve them in turn.

Yes, we may well at some time run into immense problems of our own making but we'll go down fighting to solve them.

Archived