11 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Will,

Interesting to read your approach to the PFA conversion. I've recently bought some and have been wondering how to go about it.

Cheers

Wayne

i'll second that!

PFA's PCA's PRA's amongst others all needing tackled

• Thanks 1

Thanks both,

I hope my bodge it method helps! After doing a few of these I'm getting a bit better at converting them. The key thing I've found is to not damage or shorten the pin point axle and my new cutting edge tool (LOL) is helping! At least the accurscale wheels have a better form to them than the Bachmann MK2. In one of the EM gauge newsletters I saw mention of an EM gauge Accurscale wheel... now that will be most welcome!

I've got a Bachmann 158 to do at some point but that one is looking tricky. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!

cheers

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a bit more progress with the MK2f TFO.

The interior is the wrong way so I've switched it around. This involves a minor bit of surgery and drilling a new hole for the centre screw (as it's positioned off centre :( ). While the body was off I've painted the carpet brown and the side walls a sort of cream colour which while not quite right at least removes the horrible glue and shiny glazing. The seats are missing the head rests which i think is quite noticeable so have glued on some cut from semi-circular 2mm plastikard. The end walls are the original colour and I've added a few posters to hide some orange overpaint.

1004349123_2020-02-1610_46_48.jpg.efda141d10b4045db7ecda99f4dafe06.jpg

I had a bit of a disaster with painting some matt varnish as it ended up white! Yuk. In future I'll stick to spraying so... roll on summer. It's not too noticeable with the body on.

Of  course i generate more work as i broke the wiring... so this was fixed and re-soldered. Thankfully the lighting still works!

1136001089_2020-02-1611_24_20.jpg.4122fb645d12cbfd3ca8a179a7caceea.jpg

This is always going to be a centre coach so I've fitted some kadees in the buffer beam which along with a sprung keens corridor connector looks ok to me. I do like how it looks going through my pointwork as no gaps appearing and the spring takes up quite a bit of coupling slack. I probably could have got them to couple closer but this distance meant an easy fit for the kadees so I've left it as is.

1349326549_2020-02-1611_22_05.jpg.159d9c27a5f9dc371f6b9a28c98c99f9.jpg

The wheels have been painted following surgery and I'm rather pleased how these have turned out. I've also temporarily raised the height of the coach by 1mm using a plastic washer. I'm not sure how long this bodge fix will last but means the coach's height is right. I need to do a period of running to see if any woble appears by raising the height but so far so good.

Next up some detailing then it's ready for some weathering when summer arrives..... I probably should add some curtains but haven't come up with a method for these yet.

I hope you're all coping ok with the storms... and so fit in some modelling!

cheers

Will

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

21 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Nice.

Not started on mine yet, other wagon projects need to be finished first!

I'll probably steal your idea Will! :D

Cheers

Thanks Wayne

It's not very innovative! Although it's so easy compared to finding the right axle length. I really should do some china clay conversions as that should be more in keeping with my layout.... damm accurascale ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks of converting a few wagons to EM. I'm taking on nice and simple tasks while work is busy....

656953207_2020-03-0715_36_43.jpg.bfb1af25f9ac45e969dc91eccf0dedf7.jpg

The PFAs are smashing... now done and ready for weathering. Photos are snaps on my mobile in a dark garage - it's amazing how good they are as the light for these shots is terrible!

Just converted my Polybulks as well.... I might even be able to start to have a bit of a china clay theme ;)

895818558_2020-03-0713_24_14.jpg.d71b794f8334f597d1e8461d8eb38ef5.jpg

Conversion has simply been hacking the brakes a bit to allow 12mm branchline wheels to fit. I have some small details to fit but they're also nearly ready for weathering.

1959521616_2020-03-0713_24_33.jpg.33ef160a5b14ed479697b45b830e4d83.jpg

I'm going to run a few in fixed sets so to save on Kadee costs I've fitted a few instanter couplings.

I'm probably going to spend a bit of time on the layout for a while as I need to motorise a few turnouts

cheers

Will

• Like 10

Hi Will,

Nice to see some China clay stock appearing at last.

When you re-wheeled the polybulks did you fit brass bearings in the bogies? Someone advised me to do this and wondered if you did?

I'll be interested in how you go about weathering your PFAs, as I said previously I'm holding off mine until I make a big chunk in the other wagon projects.

Cheers,

Wayne

4 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Will,

Nice to see some China clay stock appearing at last.

When you re-wheeled the polybulks did you fit brass bearings in the bogies? Someone advised me to do this and wondered if you did?

I'll be interested in how you go about weathering your PFAs, as I said previously I'm holding off mine until I make a big chunk in the other wagon projects.

Cheers,

Wayne

I haven't bothered to fit brass bearings in these. I did when I took on a BDA (or whatever it was)  and that was a bit of a faff to fit so have taken a shortcut here. My thoughts are that I'll run them until i have problems... ;)

Interestingly though the polybulk behind my 09 in the photos has a different bogie to the rest which are dark grey. The wheels have a really sloppy fit so I'll probably have to fit brass bearings. I found that one in a bargain bucket at a show unboxed so it could very easily not be original.

I always do spraying out doors so am waiting till the weather is a bit warmer before taking on any weathering!

Kernow china clays are next up for conversion - looking forward to getting those onto the layout (which truth be told is fully running as i need to motorise about 6 points)

cheers

Will

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I started Defiance... well four years to be precise. After a few failed resprays I almost gave up but managed to get a half decent coat of paint on. Then Defiance lay dormant for a few years until the other day i just thought I'd get on and with sort the lighting circuits... That went so well i moved onto glazing and about 50 other small details. Amazingly it all went really smoothly and even the body fitted onto the chasis first time!

So a few shots on my phone camera in appalling light;

2020075790_2020-06-0717_27_16.jpg.139ad916e32df6e3d26f4b6ac3b337ff.jpg

1285461230_2020-06-0717_26_18.jpg.a01a540a96853d7b6aee9a7ec808655e.jpg

1497014763_2020-06-0717_27_30.jpg.ef80531202119477f0367de3d31170eb.jpg

434231470_2020-06-0717_27_37.jpg.63bd8ffe038b2f302b408b42bf7e69c1.jpg

Overall rather pleased :)

I've fitted sound simply because I had a bargain 50 chip so thought I'd try it out. Not made up my mind on sound TBH. But a few shots showing the lights work;

10876494_2020-06-0717_18_18.jpg.53eb3f21223914275be66fe033426d56.jpg

A bit over exposed but the warm white LEDs look quite nice. They're not the same... I like the markers but my batch of smaller LEDs used for the headlight is whiter - but luckily it's that way around so I think I can get away with it. 

2012766380_2020-06-0717_18_57.jpg.8f810b6589e7e7a97d6495d99feaf556.jpg

My usual cheat of snipping one half of the tail light is shown here... just to make it look less preserved than Hornby suggests!

Cheers

Will

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Lovely job on the 50 Will, the warm white LED works really well. The markers being slightly warmer is excellent, as they're shining through opaque plastic on the real thing. 

I think the lighting you've photographed the model in is great, it really helps to bring up detail that could be lost in harder shadows.

Jo

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Lovely job on the 50 Will, the warm white LED works really well. The markers being slightly warmer is excellent, as they're shining through opaque plastic on the real thing. 

I think the lighting you've photographed the model in is great, it really helps to bring up detail that could be lost in harder shadows.

Jo

Thanks Jo.

Lighting is something that I'm continually trying to improve... still a way to go especially on coaches.

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

Your 50149 looks fab! It’s EM, right?

Where did you get the replacement grilles from? I’ve got a few 50s to get through and this is on the ‘mods’ list for me. I could cast my own by chopping up a Lima body, but if someone has done this already, perhaps there’s no point?

Guy

Hi Will,

Where did you get the replacement grilles from? I’ve got a few 50s to get through and this is on the ‘mods’ list for me. I could cast my own by chopping up a Lima body, but if someone has done this already, perhaps there’s no point?

Guy

On 09/06/2020 at 20:21, lyneux said:

Hi Will,

Guy

Hi Guy

I hope alls good with you!

Yep it's EM using a branchlines conversion kit and then the chassis is lowered. The replacement grilles are from a hacked lima body... I always feel awful doing that! I have a broken lima shell that's next in line for the chop and was thinking of trying casting but have no idea where to start. I'd be very interested if you have any plans... often thought this could also be done as a 3d print. Again technology defeats me as that's a skill I no zero about!

I have to admit even though I promised defiance would be my last I have a box full of 50 bits that could make up 6 or 7 locos... but only a few lima bodies ;)

Cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I have a broken lima shell that's next in line for the chop and was thinking of trying casting but have no idea where to start. I'd be very interested if you have any plans... often thought this could also be done as a 3d print. Again technology defeats me as that's a skill I no zero about!

I think that casting might work.  I bought one of these starter kits a few years ago:

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/starter-kits/silicone-mould-resin-casting-starter-kit.html

I mainly used it for components for buildings, but did copy some Bachmann class 25 boiler compartment grilles which came out reasonably well.

I need to get some more resin, but when I do I might give it a try as I think I have a damaged Lima class 50 body somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

Surly its time we had a decent etching that would better represent the class 50 Louvre. The PHD design is a bit crude for my liking, not being any better than the Hornby offering.. I have in the past cast the Lima 50 Louvres but I’m not happy with the look personally. I’d love to be able to design a fine etch that could be fitted with a few different designs to vary the position of the louvres. Designed to sit in the opening not behind it, much more prototypically. Ive looked at cad programs but they’re all out of my price range.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 50033 said:

Surly its time we had a decent etching that would better represent the class 50 Louvre. The PHD design is a bit crude for my liking, not being any better than the Hornby offering.. I have in the past cast the Lima 50 Louvres but I’m not happy with the look personally. I’d love to be able to design a fine etch that could be fitted with a few different designs to vary the position of the louvres. Designed to sit in the opening not behind it, much more prototypically. Ive looked at cad programs but they’re all out of my price range.  

It would be very nice... but as I have no way of doing it I'm ok with the next best thing which imo is the lima shell. I tried building a PH etch but that didnt look right which was probably my building skills. I've got 8 in the fleet so really didn't think it was worth the effort so stuck with the lima offering for the side grille. TBH most moving parts are a bit naff as the moving door also irritates as that's a little small - mine are all glued shut!

I'm parking further 50s for now and focussing on finishing a few grids and layout stuff but will keep looking for ideas for the next batch.

Cheers

Will

I'm getting properly distracted from the layout build. Finishing off Defiance has inspired me to look at my work in progress grids. I've got three on the go and this weekend I decided to pluck up some courage and have a hack of my romainian bodyshell. I've always thought the nose looked a little flat to me so have added some white miliput;

1953299240_2020-06-1412_29_29-1.jpg.bb34fde4079129222c09ea69a571fc4e.jpg1660967405_2020-06-1412_28_21.jpg.973e7862b47486b6f6ce6b93e1a4cdf9.jpg1010185901_2020-06-1412_29.48-1.jpg.0e865b01b5abd52fa3fd4361b117f231.jpg

Hard to see from the photos but I hope I've improved things! I probably should change the front grille but thats a shawplan part I don't have so most likely I'll leave alone

Happy Modelling

Will

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1