Hi Nick.

Many thanks! They're just 3mm LEDS directly wired to functions 3 & 4 of the decoder. A bit of black plastikard with two holes drilled for the legs keeps them in place using Hornbys light guide. The yellow led and support is removed.

Hope that helps

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Steps!

post-8033-0-26505300-1491133024_thumb.jpg

Not a great photo...! Enough to drive me slightly insane. Eight sets soldered up, primed and sprayed black. To be fair these were not the hardest P&H designs to put together but even so the number did try my patience.

I had an excellent trip to Ally Pally seeing some great layouts providing inspiration. Brian @ Shawplan made my day however;

post-8033-0-21066000-1491133032_thumb.jpg

Redrawn to scale these are simply superb. I almost don't want to fit them but tbh I can't wait to see them on Sir Ed. One for a few weeks time when i have a spare morning and feeling nice and relaxed   :)

And it's Sunny! But sadly no time to weather anything today as life is a bit too busy.

Happy Modelling!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As my 50 project is now just waiting for some final weathering my attention has moved to projects that I started years ago and not finished.... 

A particularly unloved Bachmann 166 came my way many moons ago. It has been converted to EM, but the plastic clipping on the bogies on has perished in parts so it just falls to bits. Lighting is non existent and seems a good challenge so the other day I've decided to resurrect it!

One unpowered front car has been started.... In amongst the wires is an Express Models kit that i found in a bargain bin at a show (result), and I've modified it slightly so that it doesn't need an extra function for the marker lights. All the wires are nicely hidden under the interior when it's fitted.

post-8033-0-65698800-1495289192_thumb.jpg

I have a number of "spare" DCC concepts decoders, (they're spare as many have failed on me). I have one where the drive has failed so I'm hoping to use it as a 4 function decoder. Along with a second working decoder for the power car I'm ending up with 8 functions. Plan is to have separate tail, day and night lights using 6 functions, leaving one for interior lights, and one for door lock lights. Extra pickups have also been added.

I've spent a while trying to work out how to connect all this up but then the other day I realised I have a fair few 8 pin DCC Sockets and plugs that I don't need as I tend to hard wire these in.... so I'm experimenting by chopping one in half which will allow me to use two decoders for the project and this will be located in the centre power car.

post-8033-0-28655500-1495289206_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-06267800-1495289216_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this works!! There will be wires on display between the carriages but I'm hoping they look ok and are not too noticeable. We shall see!!

The Body has had a rectangle hole opened for the marker light which is improved by sticking a Shawplan wipac etch over the top. When this is painted I think this'll look ok. 

post-8033-0-62135100-1495289225_thumb.jpg

I'm also going to attempt to close the gap between carriages to something closer to the prototype. The rubber corridor connector has been hacked in half and re-stuck on, and then holes drilled for a Keen systems MK2 corridor connector. This probably isn't right but I'm hoping it looks ok when it's all put back together. Removing the gap is the main aim. Bachmanns couplings have been hacked off and I now trying to decide on whether to use Kadees like my coaches or a simple brass bar. 

There are lots of things I'd like to do with the 166 to improve it's detailing although I suspect I'll treat this as a "layout" DMU and accept it how it is... however the exhaust just doesn't look that good.... but I have no idea how to replace them with anything better!

Happy Modelling and roll on summer :)

Will

post-8033-0-91859400-1495289232_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Great work Will, I've got a 'Networker' sat in a drawer to one day become a 325 Mail unit. Sorry if you already mentioned this, but can I ask please where you got the rubber gangways from? I've been hunting for suitable ones for a variety of stock for some time but I can't find anything online apart from out of stock/production ones.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks Jack.

The 325 sounds a fantastic project!

The rubber gangways were already fitted so I assume these are factory fitted... I'm sorry I'm not sure they're available as spares.

The sprung gangway inserts I use are keen which I buy in their bulk packs. I've noticed the springing helps take the slop of couplings like kadees so I quite like them... even if they are not quite right. I tend to not bother with the full ends but there might be a set suitable for you.

Cheers

Will

Could you try some different sized brass tube 'layered' to make a new exhaust? It looks like a piece of rod with three sections of tube added as a sleeve...if that makes any sense at all!

Could you try some different sized brass tube 'layered' to make a new exhaust? It looks like a piece of rod with three sections of tube added as a sleeve...if that makes any sense at all!

I'm very tempted....!

The exhaust seems to have a protective shield which will be the tricky bit as I doubt I'd be able to drill that many holes and keep it neat. Unless anyone knows a good source?

Link to an excellent set of photos (not mine) which shows what I'm on about

https://www.flickr.com/photos/transrail/15404926197/in/album-72157626872637150/

cheers

Will

My 47 experiment has progressed a little.... and now has some glazing.

post-8033-0-30971200-1495386633_thumb.jpg

Front windscreens are a Heljan 47 set which needed adjusting and tbh the size is not quite right so I'm going to make my own for other 47s.

A rare event for me... The sun has been out  :sungum: and I've had a few hours with an airbrush. Base chassis weathering applied to St Vin... I'm aiming for a heavy look;

post-8033-0-72594100-1495386657_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-47114100-1495386658_thumb.jpg

And Sir Ed is getting close to being finished too. Nameplates, steps, a few small details added and a dose of light chassis weathering.

post-8033-0-92486900-1495386658_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-47384300-1495386659_thumb.jpg

Just things like oil stains etc to add now.... the finishing sight is getting closer!  

cheers

Will

• Like 9

I'm very tempted....!

The exhaust seems to have a protective shield which will be the tricky bit as I doubt I'd be able to drill that many holes and keep it neat. Unless anyone knows a good source?

Could transfers do the job do you think?

50s are looking superb! (Sorry)

Could transfers do the job do you think?

50s are looking superb! (Sorry)

They could do - I'm going to have a look around and see whats available. Also I'm now convinced I'm going to have a go at trying to do something a bit better and I reckon 2mm tubing might do the trick.

cheers

Will

Some great work going on Will. Those 50's just look so good!

The work on the 166 is interesting, I think the down fall of that and the 158 was the rather basic lighting. I picked up a 158 a little while back very cheap with a view to moving it on for a profit (bit cheeky I know!) but might well hold onto it and try out your mod with the lighting. Never thought of using the Shawplan etches to modify the clusters. Will have to keep a eye out for an express models lighting kit.

Andy.

Those 50s look great. They have some real 'presence ' about them. Was never really a fan of them but have 3 now so I hope to make them look that good one day

Hi Andy

Thanks! If it helps the kit I used was supposed to be for a 158. I'm away from my soldering iron for a few weeks but hopefully I'll be get it working soon so I can post a few pictures.

I'm getting a bit enthused with this project.... i've ordered some disc brake etches this morning & took a quick photo of the exhaust area at paddington. Its amazing how far apart the space is between coaches are in the flesh. I might be making them too close... doh!

Not sure what to do with the centre coach power car and hiding the motor.

Cheers

Will

Those 50s look great. They have some real 'presence ' about them. Was never really a fan of them but have 3 now so I hope to make them look that good one day

Thanks! I think lowering them and fitting scale wheels makes a massive difference. Definitely my favourite project I've done... I'm sure you'll enjoy it too! The only bit I hated was the glazing... I must try and convince Brian @ Shawplan to produce a laser glaze set :)

Can I ask how you lower them? If it's in your thread tell me to stop being lazy and go find it!!!

Tbh I can't remember if I've written about them. Anyway its very straight forward. Just remove the bogies and the file the bogie bearing plate so it's only about 0.5mm high... then fit 12mm wheels from Branchlines and it's done. It will reduce the radius of curves that the loco will go round but i think anything other than set track will be ok.

If you model P4 I've got a few spare sets.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Random thought but are there and aftermarket bits in the AFV modelling world that could be adapted into that exhaust?

Thanks! Is that military modelling? A good idea which I'll look into.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks! Is that military modelling? A good idea which I'll look into.

Cheers

Will

Yeah, tanks and the like. There are lots of really impressive aftermarket bits out there, I'm afraid I can't help much more than that, but the range and quality of bits will blow you away!

It's always nice to find a new and excellent supplier of bits n pieces. I've just fitted some disc brakes to the Ultrascale wheels that came with my secondhand 166 and very nice they are too;

post-8033-0-94281400-1495828188_thumb.jpg

Check out http://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/

And as with most second hand models they always have a secret hidden surprise... the trailer that I'd fitted the lights to was fitted with a 12mm wheelset which explains why it looked a little odd when lined up with the centre car. Thankfully I've a spare ultrascale wheelset to match the other cars which I've just fitted... although the wiper pickups are preventing the wheels turning freely. Something I'll sort out soon!

Happy Modelling

Will

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on leaving my Bachmann 166 alone and not doing much to it (detailing wise).... however I can't resist getting the hacksaw and craft knives out! The underfame looked a little boxy to me and I didn't like the area around the exhaust so I've opened a fair bit out.

post-8033-0-58770800-1497194840_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-18515400-1497194842_thumb.jpg

I've only got long distance photos of the underframes and so I've probably put bits and pieces in the wrong place but as Bachmann also seem to have taken the same approach I think i can get away with it. The closer i look the more i can add... however i'm going to resist putting too much on (especially as I have to repeat the process another two times!)

post-8033-0-29426700-1497194844_thumb.jpg

The exhaust is from 2mm brass tube and the cylinder is from 5mm plastic rod and a few bits of wire to complement it all.

post-8033-0-96826000-1497194848_thumb.jpg

I've also experimented with the exhaust by bending 2mm brass tube into roughly the shape i see in photos. There should be a shield of some sort but as yet I haven't found suitable material to represent this so i may just leave it off. Oh and the whole thing is detachable as i wouldn't be able to put the unit back together.... 

post-8033-0-98897300-1497194846_thumb.jpg

I've now got the fun task of batch building these...to finish off the 166 but also for my planned 158 & 159 which I'm yet to start on.

Now onto the other 2 coaches.... does anyone know if the underframe is the same across all three coaches? Bachmann think so as the moulding is the same!

Cheers

Will

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1