Thanks Guy & Jon.

Some top tips - cheers!

Well another coat of flint grey has gone on... now just need to do the roof and I won't need to mask it again.

It must be something to do with the paint sitting on top of another layer. My first attempt at spraying Defiance I did lower rail grey first then the roof leaving the flint grey till last. Had issues with both the roof and sides lifting. Now it's the opposite way round! Maybe 3rd time lucky.

Cheers

Will

I bottled it when it came to spraying the roof using masking tape as I simply could not face spraying the upper flint grey again... three times is enough!. I ended using a straight piece of card in the hope that it'll end up with a straight line... and where it wasn't great i just straightened the line by hand. My hope is the lining will hide the slightly wobbly line... lol.

And today a coat of gloss varnish has gone on.... which looks a little grainy to me. I quite like precisions ready mixed satin but I'm not so sure I've got the hang of their gloss.

A terrible quick snap.

post-8033-0-10321700-1531676682_thumb.jpg

The terrible exposure, gloss and lighting make it look worse than it really is.... next will be the dreaded lining which I'm not looking forward to!

thanks for the encouragement so far!!

cheers

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 7

Great work Will, altough it sounds like it’s been quite a trial! I assume the surface was prepped with primer or cleaned etc etc before painting as usual....I don’t know how one colour can peel so easily. Maybe a sealing varnish layer before more coats in future could help and might make the troublesome grey adhere better? You’ve done the hard part now, the rest will be a doddle...honest... :D

Jack.

Cheers Jack

I'm just putting it down to this being my last 50 and it wants to be awkward!

Good ideas though. I used Halfords white plastic primer which for two coats has behaved... the first didn't. I'll try your varnish idea next time. I'll also be a bit more agressive on sanding to provide a better key for the paint.

Cheers

Will :)

I've been wondering what to do with the front grille of my coal sector 56. Hornby just printed this on and really doesn't look that great close up.

post-8033-0-27256400-1532254354_thumb.jpg

Anyway while messing about with Defiance I found some grilles on the PH designs etch which are intended for the pre-refurbished version that I'll never use. So I've cut them to the size of the Hornby's grille, spayed them a very thin layer of weathered black with no primer and attached them with matt varnish.

post-8033-0-15963200-1532254366_thumb.jpg

I probably should have fitted the right size grille from Shawplan and re-sprayed.... but this is the lazy version and while a little dark I think I can get away with it.

cheers 

Will

post-8033-0-27256400-1532254354_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-15963200-1532254366_thumb.jpg

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 4

A simple Class 60 re-badge as 60018;

post-8033-0-07378400-1532259063_thumb.jpg

Every time I use DRD rub on numerals I'm highly impressed... A one minute job;

post-8033-0-16704000-1532259071_thumb.jpg

All my TG 60's are a re-badge of Canisp... (I'm sure this one is going to be a super rare model one day)  :jester:

I made a right mess up re-moving the mainline logos on this one but thought I'd simply respray.

post-8033-0-14875200-1532259080_thumb.jpg

I used a grey primer for the flint grey and to be honest it looks a little blue to my eyes, so I'll probably apply another coat. What it does highlight is that Hornby's efforts are a little off too so I may darken the next coat so this loco doesn't stand out too much on it's own. Has anyone matched Hornby's flint grey?

cheers

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 4

I think I'm going to get away with my attempt of Defiance which has just had a satin coat of varnish;

post-8033-0-25083400-1532259667_thumb.jpg

I just realised that I think this is my first full respray that I've got this far... as most of my efforts are blending of the original finish. So after I applied gloss varnish I've had the fun task of applying a few extra details, decals and detail painting,

post-8033-0-20574200-1532259702_thumb.jpg

I've not used fox transfers before this loco and 60018 which have a white backing transfer to apply first. The recommended method is to use water and washing up liquid which worked a treat for 60018 but not for Defiance!! The backing white transfer started to slip as I applied the top layer... really annoying. I rescued the short band by the the door but the main logo ended up with a small amount of white showing. This has been touch painted in to hide this,

post-8033-0-52677500-1532259677_thumb.jpg

I switched to carrs transfix for the other side and this worked perfectly ! 

post-8033-0-75814200-1532259692_thumb.jpg

Another first for me is using lining by Fox. I'm amazed how anyone can get the lining perfectly straight but overall it looks ok to me. Using water worked quite well but I also had success with transfix which was easier to stick but had a tendency to curl. I found that using quite long lengths was easier than short lengths and the technique i found best was to fix one end, hold it down then run a brush under the lining to effectively slightly stretch it as it was being attached. A larger brush then straightened any bits that looked off. The front was hand painted which was a little easier!

The front has had some additional details added - lamp irons are from scrap shawplan roof grilles which have been cut and then bent into shape. I've added some grab handles above the windows using 0.2mm wire;

post-8033-0-28076800-1532259685_thumb.jpg

Nearly all of the Numerals are from DRD, but the blue 9 is from a Railtech NSE coach renumbering sheet. Overhead warning flashes are Nairnshire supplies and the orange squares & side grille warning are from a class 50 numbering set from Railtech. I do cut the railtech transfers very close to the size of the transfer so as to limit the appearance of the film. Something that you dpn't have to worry about with DRD which is where the loco details transfer is from.

Nameplates and depot plaques are all by Shawplan.

Finally the Lima side grilles and doors have been superglued in, along with the doors

Defiance will not win any prizes but I'm quite pleased with it. I just need to get hold of a roof grille and this will be finished but i suspect this won't happen until later in the year... and I'll do the electrics when the weather is naff! Hopefully it'll be done before the end of 2019!

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 4

Hi Will,

The 60's and 50149 are looking good so far.

Regarding the 56 horn grilles, when I did my model of 56073 I kept the Hornby grille and fitted the Shawplan inside. I might have had to trim it a little but it's a good fit, however looking at it again I may have over weathered the grille slightly but I was aiming to get the sense of depth.

post-6773-0-20721000-1532274832.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 5

A great Grid Wayne and it's a definite improvement! I think I got a little carried away with the airbrush and over did mine.  I'm kind of after this look;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35476094@N04/12508190384/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152343870@N07/26073400828/in/photolist-jXhy8r-pACPLo-jjHo9b-bgH6ZM-236WfVz-eci4QY-25kkePF-bCYH8J-eyxqEL-FJ1ZFA-tZTLF4-ymnpXj-RUHFx2-Lme8y4-RvXyrs

I've chosen my coal sector grid to be 56101 Mutual Improvement.... as I kind of think this is one of the worst names for a loco going and feel a little sorry for it (and Brian had some plates in stock at the time).

And thanks Jack - much appreciated :)

cheers

Will

Hi WIll,

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at the links you posted  yes the large horn grilles always do look quite black due to the dirt build up in that case I'll probably leave my model of 56073 well alone at least for now.

The only time I saw 56101 was when it was in Transrail livery after being transferred to Canton and I always thought it was an odd name.

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Premium

I've chosen my coal sector grid to be 56101 Mutual Improvement.... as I kind of think this is one of the worst names for a loco going and feel a little sorry for it

It’s definitely not the most awe-inspiring name out there!

My personal cringe highlight was the name once adorned on SWT’s ‘442’ No. 2416 - “Mum In A Million 1997 - Doreen Scanlon” haha, oh dear!!

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Stephen @ Traction for publishing my scribbles on Class 50s :)

post-8033-0-39019100-1533244934.jpg
I do enjoy reading Traction and it's the only mag I regularly get. Always a bit different from the rest and has great articles on the real thing.

If anyone reads my article I'd really appreciate any comments. I enjoy writing them and I've started writing down my projects... just to remind me what I did! Funny thing is reading it tonight reminded me how i attached the roof grilles... which thanks to Brian @ Shawplan I'll be doing on Defiance shortly.

Cheers
Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one of those nice weekends.... kinda lazy :)

Started off with the London Beer Festival Friday, a slow hangover day Saturday spent gardening and even Forest managed a win. Sunday has been far more productive on the modelling front... something I've not managed for a few weeks.

I think I've done all i can to a Mk1 underframe.

post-8033-0-42593800-1534089660_thumb.jpg

Every time i look at the prototype I find something wrong with my efforts. Might never look at another Mk1 again! LOL. This one I've moved the vacuum cylinder and used an non-symetrical V. Think this will do now and the template for the other 10 or so I need to do. Eeeek.

post-8033-0-09012600-1534089671_thumb.jpg

Of course I can't help myself and have been distracted from coaches by 47s

post-8033-0-52845300-1534089649_thumb.jpg

Lots to learn about detail differences of the fleet. This one is 47600 and I understand it to be a Brush Built machine. So it's "eyebrows" are continuous which I'm experimenting replicating with plastikard. The nose has also been smoothed off as there was a strange join, and shawplan frames added to the front and sides. I really dislike Vitrains efforts at V ariels so these have been replaced with Shawplan etched versions. I'm now working out how to do the washer jets and have mislaid my lamp irons so may attempt a homemade bodge version.

And Brian has sorted me out with a 50 roof grille (many thanks if you're reading this!). This is probably my favourite Shawplan etching as it's amazing and makes such a difference to a Hoover;

post-8033-0-34552100-1534089635_thumb.jpg

Just weathering and glazing to go on the body.

Happy Modelling all!

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 7

Hi Will - I think we must model simultaneously perhaps?! I received 47 parts from Shawplan also, and been thinking what further can be done to the Vi-trains 47, I have 4 all of which at various stages of work. I think also what hurts the Vi-trains model as you say is the lack of "eyebrows" between the cab guttering and the windows. The handrails are also weak, so Ive replaced all mine with wire as im sure youll be doing so also. It is a shame that etches for the engine room windows arn't available, as if you're going to replace the all of the cab window frames, then why not the engine room ones also for continuity (maybe just my thoughts?).

NL

Hi Will - I think we must model simultaneously perhaps?! I received 47 parts from Shawplan also, and been thinking what further can be done to the Vi-trains 47, I have 4 all of which at various stages of work. I think also what hurts the Vi-trains model as you say is the lack of "eyebrows" between the cab guttering and the windows. The handrails are also weak, so Ive replaced all mine with wire as im sure youll be doing so also. It is a shame that etches for the engine room windows arn't available, as if you're going to replace the all of the cab window frames, then why not the engine room ones also for continuity (maybe just my thoughts?).

NL

Hi Nick!

Sounds an excellent project and it'll be good to see some photos of yours. I've been debating what to do with the engine rooms and I think I'm going to bend some wire for these. Will have an experiment soon. I've also got about about 5 on the go as I'm planning to batch build them and try and keep them all consistent. The problem with vitrains is they were very cheap a few years ago and I've managed to pick up too many of them!

Next up is bending some thin wire for some roof handles.... got quite a few to do!

Cheers

Will

Totally agree.

I'm finding airbrushing kind of addictive... when it goes well it's rather pleasing but I've got plenty of disasters to strip and redo!

I've been attempting to do 47401 and carefully removed one nameplate... but right messed up the second one. Then last night had a filing accident while opening the windows and have now seriously damaged both sides now. Thinking about it the yellow doesn't look quite right so I may just strip and start again. It'll probably be easier than trying to fix it.