R 3221

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

It's not to hard to build a bit of cutting and glueing of the cabside. Kit comes with brass smoke deflectors and the pony truck needs some work but again not as bad as it might first sound. You'll need to build the tender. Depending on how comfortable you are with brass kits the Hornby chassis can be chopped about so you still get power from the tender pick ups. Sorry the picture not better but was not happy with the paint job.

• RMweb Gold

Wont the box being wrong make it more of a collectable thing in the future? Like cans of coke or stamps? Also the Drawing is wrong look at the cross head the union link and combination lever are wrong compared to the cross head.

This is the one I've been waiting for - Hornby R3241 City of Bradford BR Maroon late crest with electrification flashes. It's been a long time since this livery was on the shelves. PS this one has come from Hornby direct, free P&P with timed delivery slot, cheaper than the Liverpool box shifter with club discount.

post-549-0-58909800-1435599544_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is the one I've been waiting for - Hornby R3241 City of Bradford BR Maroon late crest with electrification flashes. It's been a long time since this livery was on the shelves. PS this one has come from Hornby direct, free P&P with timed delivery slot, cheaper than the Liverpool box shifter with club discount.

The colour, and of the lining in particular, looks much better than recent attempts by Hornby. But I shall wait for a late crest version without the gap in the frame in front of the cylinders as they look so much better and I can only justify one for my GWR/SR boundary-ish layout.

• RMweb Gold

Probably somewhere on Hornby's to do list

Who knows these days - Bachmann have done all the research for thier N guage version, Hornby have their research for the current version and maybe one of the new boys have thier eyes on a high profile 'namer'. Plenty of livery variations, 3 preserved examples, devoted enthusiast following - its a surer bet than a Thompson pacific!

The colour, and of the lining in particular, looks much better than recent attempts by Hornby. But I shall wait for a late crest version without the gap in the frame in front of the cylinders as they look so much better and I can only justify one for my GWR/SR boundary-ish layout.

I agree the front bogie area shows it's age, but I do much prefer the rear pony treatment these days, it looks so much better then the old ones that swung out to 90 degrees. And at least it's now packed in the box in a way that engine and tender can be kept coupled too.

Just picked up mine today

Very impressed with it apart from trying to fit those annoying fiddly plastic vaccum pipes.

Gave up after 10 minutes

Anyone else had this with them?

Also,how does the smaller coupling fit onto the tender,is it just a push fit?

Mine doesnt seem that much of a tight fit

Cheers

How are the B2Bs on the latest Duchesses?

The 3 I bought a year or two ago were abysmal, the bogie wheels on one fell into the 4 foot. 

All driving wheels were set between 13.2mm - 13.5mm

After adjusting all 3 locos to 14.5mm I had to put plasticard overlays on the frames and washers on the bogie axles to take up the slack.

Beautiful engines though.

Archived