Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Geoff Dunster

Southernman46

Have just read and lifted this straight out of the MRE web page.

Bit of a shock - spent many a pleasant hour enjoying Geoff's hospitality in sight of Dover Castle back in the day.

Geoff Dunster

I have just returned from holiday to receive the sad news that Geoff Dunster, who was a very active member of the RCTS South East Branch, had sadly passed away due to a severe stroke.

I knew Geoff as a railwayman but primarily as a railway modeller as we used to "bump into each other" at many modeller railway shows. Geoff was more than often manning the RCTS stand. Geoff was also a railway enthusiast; very active railway photographer and a railway modeller of the BR Southern Region era. He had a built up a collection of locos that had run in the South East.

Geoff was at the Tonbridge Exhibition in February but I unfortunately I never saw him on that occasion but I gather he had been unwell.

A nice story was that after Hornby had issued the initial Maunsell coaches, Geoff, like many, wanted the Open Second which at that time Hornby seemed very reluctance to produce. Geoff built one out of Ian Kirk parts etc and went to Hornby Headquarters at Margate and promptly showed to them what "we modellers" want. I believe, and apologies if wrong, the person at Margate was a certain Simon K. As we all know we eventually got the Open Second and Pull-Push sets. A nice possible legacy of Geoff.

Inclusion Geoff was one of those chaps you always saw around but never really got to know "in depth" and will be very much missed by those who knew him and another sad lost to the "ageing group" railway modellers.

John Cherry

Kent

Very sad that Geoff has passed.

I used to work with him and managed him for the last few years before he retired (for the second time) from the railway.

He had an amazing photographic collection taking advantage of his access on the railway while working. He was trying to publish a couple of books on the railways of Dover & Folkestone.

He was a keen modeller and a good friend. He had done a slide show from his collection to a group of my friends in the past, which was very enjoyable.

My thoughts are with Marion and his family.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I first met Geoff when he had an office on platform 2 at Ashford Station.  He was the Cable & Track Supervisor.  Always time for a cup of tea and a chin wag. 

Helped him with some diode matrix for his two level, Swiss and UK outline layouts.  An excellent modeller, who could whittle up clear glazing to create flush glazing of a high standard.

Stayed in contact over the years, more recently he was a regular visitor to the works at Eastleigh for a wander and take a few pictures.  He even gave us a mini audit of the third rail and cabling on site.

A real gent, sadly missed, 

Archived