Working in N Gauge, or 2mm?

I'm interested in pre-grouping in N it but can't claim to have done any modelling of it yet!  I'm still stuck in the 40s for my main layout.

I'll look forward to seeing what others have been up to...

I'm dabbling in early grouping LMS (North London Line) in N finescale, which gives me ample opportunity for some pre grouping liveries, although as yet I haven't had the courage to try them out. The closest have got is with one of Devons Road's mythical LMS red 'Jinties', and a 4F with LMS on the cabside and Midland style number on the tender.

Yes, GWR c1906 in 2FS.  Really must start a thread on my layout rather than just putting odd entries in my blog.

post-12089-0-60431100-1435482910_thumb.jpg

Baulk Road turnout, FPL and associated rodding and FPL detector for the Up Adv. Starter and Shunt Ahead signals

Ian

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

I'm planning to start a 2mmFS LB&SCR layout in the near future. I'm still at the stage of trying to decide what it will be.

With the Dapol Terriers, Etched Pixel's coaches and stockprint's wagons, modelling the LB&SCR in 2mm/N is becoming easier.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Dave Searle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I model the Midland, Somerset and Dorset and my own fictitious Colonel Stephens line the North Somerset light railway in the early 1920s in 2FS. Links to my various threads and layouts in the signature below.

Jerry

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Sort of a bump, I guess.. :)

When I asked my original question, I was still focused on the SECR, but was having my doubts about getting anything accomplished in OO, as I just did not have any available space for more than a couple of feet of wall. And trying to decide P4, EM, just OO, etc.., with all the track and what have you issues (especially living in the US), I reached a point I just would abandon UK rail modeling. Let my NGS membership lapse, along with other memberships, and just concentrated on my US modeling.

Now, however, with the release of the Petite Properties 1st building kits in 1:148, I've been bitten by the N bug once again. This time, though, I'll do pretty much as D. Searle stated in his post, and base something on the LBSC, using the items he mentions. I won't, as he plans, work to 2mmFS, that's more work than I want to do, for this. I will use the fiNetrax track work, as I do want that typical UK bullhead rail look.

So. making up a shoppoing/wish list, and putting funds aside as I can, and hopefully will accomplish a good start, in the next couple of months.

Cheers.

Jim F

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sort of a bump, I guess.. :)

When I asked my original question, I was still focused on the SECR, but was having my doubts about getting anything accomplished in OO, as I just did not have any available space for more than a couple of feet of wall. And trying to decide P4, EM, just OO, etc.., with all the track and what have you issues (especially living in the US), I reached a point I just would abandon UK rail modeling. Let my NGS membership lapse, along with other memberships, and just concentrated on my US modeling.

Now, however, with the release of the Petite Properties 1st building kits in 1:148, I've been bitten by the N bug once again. This time, though, I'll do pretty much as D. Searle stated in his post, and base something on the LBSC, using the items he mentions. I won't, as he plans, work to 2mmFS, that's more work than I want to do, for this. I will use the fiNetrax track work, as I do want that typical UK bullhead rail look.

So. making up a shoppoing/wish list, and putting funds aside as I can, and hopefully will accomplish a good start, in the next couple of months.

Cheers.

Jim F

a G 01 and C are all available as  2mm brass kits  there is  RTR  N  and probably convertible to 2mm   SECR owned a Terrier RTR by Dapol

Worsley Works do 16 different SECR coaches, Ultima make 3 SECR coaches

be aware if your building locos wheels are really only available for  2mm and will only run on 2mm or high tolerance n gauge track ( in which case you just as well go 2mm)

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable

Having LBSC Terriers as RTR models, and the now available fiNetrax track, makes this a do-able small project for me, as it will not be my prime modelling effort.

Don't feel trying to work to 2mmFS is worth the extra effort and hassle, on this side of the pond,

Jim F

Don't feel trying to work to 2mmFS is worth the extra effort and hassle, on this side of the pond,

Yes, and probably this side of the pond also for many. Nonetheless 2mmFS does look very impressive and more realistic (and more so than commercial N), but with continuing improvements in standards and fidelity in N gauge, the gap is narrowing (although there are some areas that are still rather crude in N). 

With regards to asking about those modelling pre-grouping eras, the NGS does have a special interest group for pre-grouping. It might be worthwhile contacting them (details can be found in the NGS Newsletter/Journals). I did also publish an article about modelling pre-grouping in the N'spirations range of booklets that featured a number of rather nice kit built locos. And the mainstream N gauge manufacturers seem to now be more supportive of the era now, particularly with the forthcoming SECR class C 0-6-0 loco and birdcage stock.

G.

Hi Grahame.

First, something I have meant to do for some time, so might as well do it here, is say Thank You for your stewardship of the Journal. I have full years sets, with a few years missing, of issues back to 1998. They are all quality publications, but the last few years, you have raised the standard even more. Job done excellently.

2mmFS does look very impressive, when done right, though I have read many times of 2mmFS layouts not being the greatest performing layouts at exhibitions. Not a concern I would have, but one does wonder why. Also, I was just watching a Youtube video of a Dapol Terrier on a 2mm Assoc. chassis, and I have to say, the 'rail scraper' pick ups the modeler used definitely took away from the otherwise excellent look of the model.

I did join the Pre-Grouping special interest group, a year ago February last. I received the group's relaunch Gazette #1, but nothing more after that, between then and when my NGS membership lapsed in Dec. '16. Not sure if anything has been sent out between then and now (I just re-newed), but have the impression it is a group with minimal activity.

I do have a C Class on pre-order, as well as a set of the birdcage coaches, though when they will ever show up remains to be seen.

Thank you, again.

Jim F