• RMweb Premium

There is a thread on the same topic on NGRM. From a visit to Easdale some 25 years ago [small boat to the island] very unlikely a loco was ever there or needed but possible a steam winch or crane may have been used with coal delivered from Clyde puffer. No evidence either way.

A very small scale operation in comparison with North Wales for example. The quarry line was mainly level and lightly laid. I have some 35mm photos somewhere but not located them yet.

There is a thread on the same topic on NGRM. From a visit to Easdale some 25 years ago [small boat to the island] very unlikely a loco was ever there or needed but possible a steam winch or crane may have been used with coal delivered from Clyde puffer. No evidence either way.

A very small scale operation in comparison with North Wales for example. The quarry line was mainly level and lightly laid. I have some 35mm photos somewhere but not located them yet.

Just checked the Easdale Museum website and there is a crane in one of the photos! http://easdalemuseum.org/collection/index.php

Just found this topic Dava. I have ordered a second hand copy of Iain Sutherland’s ‘Wick & Lybster Light Railway’ after reading the article in the April issue of ‘BackTrack’. I passed the interesting, and somewhat dilapidated, Thrumster Station every year when I took my daughter to Highland dancing competitions in Caithness. Glad it has now been restored by the local community. I did wonder back then about the history of the railway. Planning to spend a couple of days up there this summer to see what remains are still visible in the landscape of the line and it’s buildings. Will post some photos here if there is anything of interest. This is another great topic for modelling!

All the best, Marlyn

attachicon.gif4DD07257-E93B-4573-8D6F-04E0B864A197.jpeg

My copy arrived this morning. It is crammed full of vintage photographs and copies/extracts from old documents, but only one early plan showing the route of the line. It is a pity there are not more of the detailed plans of the track layout at the stations and, as a modelmaker, technical drawings of the station buildings, locomotives, rollling stock etc., but then again we can source these elsewhere on the internet and articles in more recent publications. Good background reading!

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived this morning. It is crammed full of vintage photographs and copies/extracts from old documents, but only one early plan showing the route of the line. It is a pity there are not more of the detailed plans of the track layout at the stations and, as a modelmaker, technical drawings of the station buildings, locomotives, rollling stock etc., but then again we can source these elsewhere on the internet and articles in more recent publications. Good background reading!

Marlyn

Bought it a few months ago. Like the description of the formidable landlady of the hotel in Lybster.

Hi Robert - thanks for the plan! Think I’ll leave the modelling of Wick to the other good modelmakers on this Forum, but I enjoy checking out old station sites and trying to identify what remains of trackbeds in the landscape.

Marlyn

• Like 1

Peter,

The Caley also proposed a competing line to Inveraray built to be built to light railway standards.

I've always assumed this was a "land grab" to prevent incursion by the North British into Caley territory.

Given the circuitous nature of the route I would have thought the steamer service would have provided a quicker route to Glasgow and onward.

The proposed line was to leave the C&O mainline at Dalmally and run down the side of Loch Awe.

I believe the primary objection to the line was from Inveraray Castle, the terminus would have been just out side the walls.

This objection meant the land could not be secured.

Between 1994 and 2004 we rented a holiday cottage in Loch Awe, often twice a year. Often whilst driving between Dalmally and Inverary, I wondered about any possible railway and constantly scanned the scenery for lost bridges or embankments.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure if it would be classified as a light railway, but there was a double track 3' gauge railway from the aluminium smelter at Kinlochleven to a pier on Loch Leven. Electric locomotives with the power coming from the smelter's plant. The pier end could make an interesting model while avoiding having to build the smelter. There are some details on:

https://hlrco.wordpress.com/scottish-narrow-gauge/constructed-lines/kinlochleven-railway/

Not sure about some of the facts stated, such as Kinlochleven not being connected to anywhere by road until the 1920s; I'm pretty sure the road along the north shore of Loch Leven existed in some form long before then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Ballachulish branch was officially also a light railway (when built) although its infrastructure was more appropriate for a main line.

Edit: I don't know why I had that nugget in my memory, but I can't now find any evidence to support this statement. Message to self: check before posting. Sorry.   :umbrage: 

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• 1 month later...

It occurred to me the other day that Scotland had a fair number of light railways, ie those built after the Light Railways Act in 1896. They are an interesting source of ideas for modelling projects, and I have had one planned for a while. Many more lines were planned but those actually built are listed below. ............. Some of the branch lines built after 1896 you might have expected to be  built as light railways, but they were not, eg Ormiston-Gifford, ...

Dava

Resurrecting an old topic.

While its original act of 1891 was for a conventional line, according to Andrew Hajduckie's book 'The Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branches' the Ormiston - Gifford line was actually built as a light railway under the 1896 act. (The Gifford and Garvald Light Railway Order 1898). 

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Belated thanks to Jeremy for the reference to the 'Gifford & Garvald Light Railway', which never reached Garvald. 

It was one of the 'Smeaton Lines' with the Macmerry branch, sponsored and operated by the NBR in the Lothian Hills, to serve the coal industry in that area.

There is a very useful Wikiwand article & maps here https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Smeaton_railway_branches_of_the_Lothians

I have ordered Andrew Hajduckie's book on 'The Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branches'. As most of the system closed in the 1920's to 30's, not very many photos of the line with trains found so far. It does look an interesting system, with mining traffic and also whisky traffic to and from the Glenkinchie distillery near Saltoun. 

I have cut & pasted extracts from NLS OS 25" maps of the main stations to show the track diagrams.   

More to come on this one, it looks a good destination for a walk or cycle on the Pencaitland trail along the old line. Any other suggestions of sources or photos welcome.

Dava

1090213902_SaltounNBR467.jpg.841a5fd8490d69d0429aa27d6530c116.jpg

Saltoun station with NBR 4-4-0T 467

Gifford + Macmerry station trackplans 1906.docx

On 24/05/2018 at 19:32, NCB said:

Other proposed railways included the Hebridean Light Railway. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebridean_Light_Railway_Company

Isleornsay to Uig on Skye, and Stornaway to Carloway on Lewis.

The HLR proposal also included a branch to Dunvegan from a junction at Skeabost about three miles north of Portree.

In 1897 - a year earlier than the HLR proposal - the Highland Railway submitted a proposal for a light railway from Kyleakin to Torrin via Broadford.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2020 at 16:51, ejstubbs said:

The HLR proposal also included a branch to Dunvegan from a junction at Skeabost about three miles north of Portree.

In 1897 - a year earlier than the HLR proposal - the Highland Railway submitted a proposal for a light railway from Kyleakin to Torrin via Broadford.

Didn't know of the Highland proposal. Interesting; with all the narrow gauge rolling stock becoming available from Heljan, Bachmann, Peco and the like, I was toying with the idea of a narrow gauge line from Kyleakin. Probably won't do anything about it; have too much on already!

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested in the Gifford & Garvald Light railway. Hajduckie's book on the line arrived yesterday.

Saltoun station looks like it has potential for a modelling project. With a passing loop, two sidings and traffiec to/from the Glen Kinchie Distillery.

I would start with the ticket office, these were the same design for all 4 stations on the line. His book has a drawing for the agent's house but not the station building, though it may exist in the same source, the Scottish Record Office. 

Has anyone see a plan, drawing or front elevation photo of one of these buildings? All I need is length, width and height. Saltoun station building was rescued by the SRPS, I've asked them whether it still exists. As it would now be a 120 year old wooden structure I'm not too hopeful.

Anyone know of any information?

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/19/487/

Dava

• 4 months later...

To revive an old thread, I have just discovered the st Combs branch today whilst researching for a small terminus to build in 7mm, and what a jem it is. The question is are there any good books on the branch, I seem to be coming up with a blank with all the usual suspects like Oxford Press etc. Can anyone help?

Regards

JP

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was sorry to see that Andrew Hajduckie, the author of a number of excellent histories of Scottish light railways and branches in the Eastern lowlands, had died earlier this year. He was also an eminent lawyer.

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news-and-events/legal-news/faculty-pays-tribute-on-death-of-andrew-hajducki-qc/

Dava

• RMweb Premium

That's sad to hear. I must admit I knew nothing of Andrew apart from his books on the Fife railway companies for Oakwood Press.

Obviously a man of great knowledge and passion for the originating Companies of the area, the books detail not just the Railway side of things but also the social/political/cultural aspects of life in the past.

At least his published work will live on for future generations.

• Agree 1