Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ian Allan

PhilH

What a great man, and the saviour of all us oldie trainspotters. What would I have done without my ABCs?  Although buying the late 1964 combined version after making do for a few years with the early 62 edition was a shock that I will maybe never get over. Pages and pages of steam locos had just vanished.

I also remember the thrill on Christmas Day of opening my brand new Trains Annual and just looking at all the wonderful pictures and reading the articles.

Thankyou Ian for all your sterling efforts on behalf of railway enthusiasts everywhere.

There is unlikely ever to be another Ian Allan.

• RMweb Gold

I know he has been frail for quite a long time but it is always a shock when such a prominent figure in our lives leaves us. Prominent in our lives?  Of course he was because he brought so much to the railway hobby and to the model railway hobby as well and over so many years.  Very easy to ignore - because we didn't know about them - the vast range of early 'pocket size' books from him and his dedicated band of authors then, of course, the ABCs with which so many of us grew up, and his major role in magazine publishing which lasted for so many years with three major titles (Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways, Railway World, and Model Railway Constructor) all of which were innovative in various ways in their respective fields plus the various 'part works' - which really meant something for that often disdained term - and a huge range of hardback books on an amazing range of mainly railway related subjects.  

I know that my bookshelves would be much the poorer, and have far more space, were it not for Ian Allan, RIP Mr ABC.

• RMweb Gold

Another man with a great legacy and across all aspects of transport hobbies.

Thank you for all the books and magazines. My numerous books from his stable will continue to provide pleasure for years to come :)

I learned today of the passing of Ian Allan OBE, FCIT, my employer from 1963-8 and again from 1977-92. Often dubbed 'the inventor of trainspotting', it was not something he ever claimed to be. What he did, was to popularise locomotive spotting at a time when money for non-essentials was scarce and boys needed something to occupy them that required minimal adult input. What started in such a small way ended up as a company which, in addition to book and magazine publishing, had travel agencies, car dealerships, a Masonic regalia shop and a supplier of organic gardening materials. Despite the similarity of name he was not related to the Allens (Cecil J and Geoffrey Freeman) both of whom did work for his company.

I first met 'IA' as he was known, at my interview at Craven House, Hampton Court after I left school in 1963. He was a tall and distinguished man with a boyish appearance and a surprisingly approachable manner. It was the heyday of 'the World's largest transport publisher', a company founded by Ian Allan after he left the employ of the Southern Railway's press and public relations office at Waterloo. As a teenager he had lost a leg following a camping accident, so he was not conscripted during the war and instead joined the Southern Railway where, despite wartime restrictions he was allowed to publish lists of SR locomotive numbers, sold to those in the know, from the family home at Laleham near Staines. After the war these Roneo sheets became booklets and the Abc (the official style was always with lower case b and c) was born. We never knew for sure how the 'Abc' term came about but it was popularly believed in the company that it was spun from the initials of the three original directors, Allan, Brett and Cannon. The Ian Allan Locospotters Club was founded to bring order to a hobby that was gaining something of a bad reputation particularly where magistrates and prosecutions for trespass were concerned. It went on to organise works and depot visits and by the 1960s IA was promoting railtours alongside those of the SLS, REC and RCTS. The high-spot was the 'Great Western' of May 9 1964 in pursuit of the elusive 100mph behind a 'Castle'. As always, IA was on board throughout the trip.

IA ran the company directly, and with something of a rod of iron, which earned him a reputation for being tight-fisted. I recall being asked to check my watch one day, because I had been seen leaving five minutes early (to catch a bus) the previous afternoon. But he was, too, thoughtful and generous with praise. He sent hand-written condolences and flowers when my mother died, for instance, and I still have the note he wrote congratulating me on a feature I had written about the Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway. He founded the Railway Modeller magazine in 1950 but sold it after only a couple of issues to Sidney Pritchard (of PECO) who told me he borrowed £100 off his Mum in order to buy it. By the late 1950s IA was in a position to buy businesses and he bought Railway World publishing, which brought Railway World and Model Railway Constructor magazines into the growing publishing empire, based at Craven House, Hampton Court which backed onto Bushey Park.  

His close association with the full-size railway enabled the purchase of land adjoining the railway station at Shepperton and he had new offices built there, on both sides of the line. Built tight to the right of way, they included a swimming pool for his personal use, in front of which the Pullman car Malaga (built in the year of his birth 1922) was built in to the structure. A private footbridge over the railway linked the two office blocks. Later, another block was built in the old station yard and the company also acquired the sprawling Press at Coombelands, both being occupied by the publishing staff for a period. Always an enthusiast at heart, he joined with friends including the late Patrick Whitehouse, to start the Dart Valley Railway, later transferring attention to the Paignton & Dartmouth line. Where preserved railways were concerned, it always seemed that his business head over-ruled his enthusiast heart and that inevitably led to conflict between the interests of paid staff and those of volunteers. 

I shall always remember him fondly for giving me a career, not once but twice. Indeed, the second time it was IA in person who phoned and asked, " Do you want to work for me again?"

In 1995 he was awarded the OBE and for more than a quarter century his two sons, David and Paul have run the family businesses, though I suspect that IA remained 'in charge' in the background for as long as he was able. He leaves a wife, Mollie, his two sons and several grandchildren.

CHRIS LEIGH

He has left an enduring legacy for sure. It's difficult to imagine what the 'railway hobby', real and model, would be like today without his log books and Combined Volumes, let alone the books and magazines.

93 was a fine innings, well done Sir.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions at the Great Cockrow Railway, where his real enthusiasm for railways always seemed to shine through.  I think I'm right in saying that this fully-signalled masterpiece of a 7 1/4" railway only existed in the first place because of him, and it was clear from his presence on most Sundays through the season that this line was very dear to his heart.  He was always charming and courteous, but he always seemed happiest just driving trains round and round that incredibly complex network of track just next to the M25. 

He will be fondly remembered.

David

I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions at the Great Cockrow Railway, where his real enthusiasm for railways always seemed to shine through.  I think I'm right in saying that this fully-signalled masterpiece of a 7 1/4" railway only existed in the first place because of him, and it was clear from his presence on most Sundays through the season that this line was very dear to his heart.  He was always charming and courteous, but he always seemed happiest just driving trains round and round that incredibly complex network of track just next to the M25. 

He will be fondly remembered.

David

Yes, the GCR was originally the Greywood Central Railway in Esher but its owner died and IA rescued it and had it relaid in much more complex form around Cockrow Hill at Lyne. Much of the complex signalling is full-size SR and BR equipment acquired from resignalling of the LSWR out of Waterloo. It became the GCR in order to preserve the initials on the original locomotives. Many of the 'greats' from our hobby, if not all, had a ride on the GCR. Uncle Mac (A.B. MacLeod) had a diesel shunter which he operated there frequently.

• RMweb Premium

I know that my bookshelves would be much the poorer, and have far more space, were it not for Ian Allan, RIP Mr ABC.

Indeed so, a quick check of my database, reveals that my library contains 452 items published under the Ian Allan label.

Edit, wrong word replaced.

• RMweb Gold

The Great Cockrow Railway is well worth a visit and I hope it has a secure future following the death of IA.  Further information below.  The frame at Everglades Jcn is laid out for two person working and at times is probably more like Borough Market Jcn in terms of number of trains it is handling than a small scale railway - definitely keeps you on your toes; IA must have loved

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk/page11.html

• RMweb Premium

I know he has been frail for quite a long time but it is always a shock when such a prominent figure in our lives leaves us. Prominent in our lives?  Of course he was because he brought so much to the railway hobby and to the model railway hobby as well and over so many years.  Very easy to ignore - because we didn't know about them - the vast range of early 'pocket size' books from him and his dedicated band of authors then, of course, the ABCs with which so many of us grew up, and his major role in magazine publishing which lasted for so many years with three major titles (Trains Illustrated/Modern Railways, Railway World, and Model Railway Constructor) all of which were innovative in various ways in their respective fields plus the various 'part works' - which really meant something for that often disdained term - and a huge range of hardback books on an amazing range of mainly railway related subjects.  

You're correct about the part work image, with current tendency to produce magazines with mediocre 'freebies', that go on for as long as the publisher can milk the punters, once everyone has purchased multiple of the first copy. Locomotives Illustrated & the BR Fleet Surveys showed how the job ought to be done.

• RMweb Gold

My very first combined,winter 1960/61, showing the scars and wounds of much love, duffle bag travel and constant use. Also a Southern ABC (that's the style on the cover) from 1946, which I inherited from my dad. Unmarked and in much better condition than the combined!

Again, thank you IA.

post-6683-0-02960300-1435599055_thumb.jpg

After the war these Roneo sheets became booklets and the Abc (the official style was always with lower case b and c) was born.

The two illustrations above would seem to contradict this statement! But however the ABC was written we gained immensely from the books and mags. RIP IA.

Keithy

You're correct about the part work image, with current tendency to produce magazines with mediocre 'freebies', that go on for as long as the publisher can milk the punters, once everyone has purchased multiple of the first copy. Locomotives Illustrated & the BR Fleet Surveys showed how the job ought to be done.

The two illustrations above would seem to contradict this statement! But however the ABC was written we gained immensely from the books and mags. RIP IA.

Keithy

Designers did all sorts of things with it on book jackets. I meant the text style in articles, since it was text I was writing at the time. Incidentally I had the dubious distinction of producing the last Abc for Ian Allan - and I missed out a great big chunk of Class 47s. I much regret helping to create an ignominious end for a great idea, but one which had sadly outlived its time. I should add my condolences to Mr. Allan's family and friends and to all the staff, particularly those who worked with me and are still with the company. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

There can be very few Transport enthusiasts who don't know the name Ian Allan, and that in itself is testement to the man. Ian Allan lives on in the bookcases of many a person. Thank you sir, for all the pleasure you brought me.

RIP and condolences to the family.

• RMweb Gold

RIP indeed.

In fact the after his initial Roneo sheets of SR numbers mentioned above, by Chris in his insightful post, the first SR ABC booklet actually also appeared surprisingly during the war, not after, in December 1942!

See here http://grahammuz.com/2015/06/29/rip-ian-allan-or-should-that-be-abc/

My condolences also to friends and family.

• RMweb Gold

Another of our great enthusiasts has gone to the great roundhouse in the sky. What self- respecting schoolboy would have ever been without a "combine" or a loco shed book? Growing up in the 1970s we did not call them Abcs but combines.

Many thanks to Chris Leigh for the great obituary above - and you learn something new every day (well I have), I never knew IA started Railway Modeller.

RIP.

Neil

Archived