Modbury

Ian Smith

When making Scots Pines for Connerburn I only soldered the twisted wire frame in a few places then used Sandtex masonry paint to coat it.  The latter comes in a variety of colours  and, being water based, it can be further tinted with powder paints (or possibly acrylics - haven't tried them).  It remains slightly flexible, so, if necessary, you can make minor adjustments to the shape of the tree when installing it on the layout.  A tester tin will provide enough for many 2mm trees

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I started making trees with florists' wire covered with air drying clay. They look good, but are very time consuming. Then I found 'stone' effect paint aerosols which basically spray lumpy paint. This is a much quicker way to disguise the twisted wire.

• RMweb Gold

Nice job on the trees. I like the idea of using the polyfibre to create the twiggy ends. You are right about the interior trees being mostly canopy the exception can be where a tree has fallen and created a bit of space.

Don

Despite it being particularly warm out in the workshop/railway room, I have made a little progress on Modbury.  A few more trees have been made and have been installed in my wood (there are now some 10 trees in an area about 6"x3").

Here are some photos to illustrate the progress to date (the board was brought out to use natural light for these) :

4.JPG.4a5c4d82a2a1aad074ca3be0e3f20a5d.JPG

5.JPG.8c9ab0fc037c768ad9ae08b7a2c23f7e.JPG

6.JPG.15be6888c83469346c3630cca4b17094.JPG

As can be seen I still have some way to go!

Progress has been made on the other board too.  The up platform has been made and installed (early construction photos can be seen in post no.91 - unfortunately I forgot to take any later photos).  Getting this platform made and in place has allowed significant progress in the area behind the station building - the topography could be finalised, and with the lie of the land built up and carved to shape I've applied the static grass around the station approach.  Hopefully, I'll get around to taking some more photos tomorrow of this area.

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstatement of photos
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks good Ian. Good to see the 1701/1854 earning its keep (and the Metro, but I have a thing for saddle tanks). 

The goods shed really dwarfs the other station buildings.  It's one of those interesting things about modelling: You get a feel for the relative size of things in a way that isn't always obvious in real life (like trees).

Looks good Ian. Good to see the 1701/1854 earning its keep (and the Metro, but I have a thing for saddle tanks). 

The goods shed really dwarfs the other station buildings.  It's one of those interesting things about modelling: You get a feel for the relative size of things in a way that isn't always obvious in real life (like trees).

Mikkel,

Like you I have a soft spot for saddle tanks, to my eyes saddle tanks are so much prettier than panniers (and I don't think it's just because in that early period they sported all of the polished brightwork).  Once I've got the layout in a condition that I consider fit for the general public to see I'm looking forward to progressing the "Buffalo" as that's been on hold for quite a while now.

I agree with the comment about the size of goods sheds, at Bovey Tracey in Devon (which my two buildings are based on) both of the buildings are still extant and a similar distance apart to what I've done on Modbury, and the goods shed really does look massive by comparison.  Possibly aided by the fact that originally the track running through it was 7 foot wide!

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

This is all looking fabulous!  Since you stopped posting about Modbury in the blog section of the forum I'd lost track of your progress!  I've ticked the "follow this topic box" so hopefully it won't happen again:-) I'll endeavour to get along to Swindon, looking forward to seeing Modbury in the flesh/wood! 

Best wishes

Dave

• Like 1

Just another couple of photos of the current state of Modbury.  These were taken on my phone the other day so may not be brilliant quality but they do allow a sort of eye level view (if you're about 11mm high) :-)

Mobile1.jpg.502ec8332b46157b09b5830c46798d66.jpg

A view through the road over bridge at the Plymouth end of the station (looking towards Newton Abbot).  Please forgive the background, the other scenic board is on my workbench while I'm adding trees to the wood.

Mobile2.jpg.2a530291808f1db951781e734fb120bc.jpg

A view towards Plymouth.  Luckily for the cameraman the other baseboard being on the workbench means that he's unlikely to get taken unawares by a down train :-)

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstatement of photos
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With the platforms now in place, this evening I have started on the population of Modbury.  Some months ago I bought both sets of Edwardian figures by Andrew Stadden, these are cleanly moulded with next to no flash and just a slight mould line down the sides of some of the figures.  A quick scrape with a scalpel removes this.  The figures have no bases, so I drilled a 0.3mm hole up into the dresses of the ladies, or up into one leg on the gentlemen.  This allows a short piece of 0.3mm brass wire to be super-glued into the figure so that it can be held in a pin chuck for painting and will allow the figures to be "planted" on the layout.

The images below show the first completed figure.  Obviously the images are rather cruel close ups as she is only about 12mm tall to the top of her hat.

1139914773_HannahLipscombe1.JPG.899cf58c6a65fc2c8aadd0102b930d8a.JPG

1349935781_HannahLipscombe2.JPG.1d3a6c645b35ead98a5efe797628c372.JPG

423338019_HannahLipscombe3.JPG.1bbbc16fcf29bcd15d30a4ff6d7553c9.JPG

I've tried to indicate shadow by having a slightly darker hue that I've tried to paint into the folds of her dress.  I've done a similar thing with her eyes.  Incidentally, for the skin tone I mixed up some Precision Paints GWR Dark Stone with plenty of white.  I'm fairly happy with the result, so one down 19 more to do!

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstatement of photos
  • Like 10

I've tried to indicate shadow by having a slightly darker hue that I've tried to paint into the folds of her dress.  

Try a very thin wash of dark grey to bring out the folds,creases etc.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with those folds, Ian!

Plus, her complexion is GWR stone. What more could a person want :)

She certainly looks as if she'd give men a distinctly stony look!

As so often when I see 2FS layouts, it is a stark reminder of just what can be achieved. It makes the task in OO look positively trivial!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly progress on Modbury, but this morning I had a little present in the post from PPD :

DSCF2470.JPG.0d95a688ebd6edfe2e9954e7645b2247.JPG

I'm really quite pleased with the outcome, although whether I will still be as enthusiastic after I start to convert these components into actual models will remain to be seen.  As can be seen there is quite a variety of bits on there, ranging from field gates and gates for my cattle dock through Dean 6'4" & 8'6" bogies to complete 6 wheel coaches (one of which has a clerestory roof).  The only items that stand any chance of being put together before Modbury has it's first public outing at Swindon in about 6 weeks time are some of the platform trolleys though!

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstatement of photo
  • Like 8