Modbury

Ian Smith

22 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been adding the finishing touches to my Buffalo Saddle Tank.  It's not quite there yet as I've still got to add the brakes and sand pipes to the chassis but superficially its all done.

A few shots of her posed on Modbury's embankment section :

IMG_3552.JPG.af0217e76294d5e9ae17b0715e8594f6.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG.f4abf1c3168cafb60d40a518b1c212df.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG.7cd545578165e6e8d4706b8899e4cd00.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG.f0635ae9f22c0f920dbf9d359f34d6f6.JPG

The lining is Fox transfers except the rather poorer curved bits around the cab cut outs - they being hand painted with a fine brush because none of the curvy bits of transfer seemed to match the cut outs.  On the model it doesn't look too bad but seeing it blown up on a computer screen some 3 times the size of the model, I'll let you decide how successful I've been!

The ejectors under the saddle just forward of the cab were soldered up from bits of brass wire and tube, and are a representation of the early type - they seemed to get ever more complex as time went on.  The number plates are from my first attempt at drawing up artwork for etching, and were etched in 0.006" brass.

Looking at the last photo in particular, it looks like I need to loosen the bolt securing the safety valve cover and rotate it through 90 degrees.

Ian

I wish my 4mom one looked as good!

DrDuncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

They look great Ian, I'm sure the directors of the colliery will be delighted that coal from their pit is getting down to south Devon. Somerstecoal was certainly used at Exeter gasworks so perfectly feasable it got to Modbury and beyond.

Below is the batch of wagons I did when I rebuilt the colliery from Highbury to Foxcote.

Jerry

IMG_3434.JPG.e35d666dff7ad3ad3355aa45767772ee.JPG

• Like 12

19 hours ago, queensquare said:

They look great Ian, I'm sure the directors of the colliery will be delighted that coal from their pit is getting down to south Devon. Somerstecoal was certainly used at Exeter gasworks so perfectly feasable it got to Modbury and beyond.

Below is the batch of wagons I did when I rebuilt the colliery from Highbury to Foxcote.

Jerry

IMG_3434.JPG.e35d666dff7ad3ad3355aa45767772ee.JPG

Jerry, when I looked at the transfer letters I had to make "FOXCOTE" I thought that the largest I had seemed too small to fill the wagon side, so I elected to add the word "Colliery" afterwards.  Looking at your wagons I think I could have got away with the wider spacing (especially if I'd added shading to the letters).  Oh well, next time :-)  Obviously my number 14 wagon is carrying an earlier version of the livery :rolleyes:

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Superb views, Ian.

I studied the coaches in particular, the paintwork really is excellent. The small "GWR" lettering on the Siphon is a nice touch, and helps set the period.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Modbury has become a really nice atmospheric model and a valuable historical record of some special railway history. I especially like the second photo down taken at a prototypical level. Thanks for sharing Ian. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Modbury has become a really nice atmospheric model and a valuable historical record of some special railway history. I especially like the second photo down taken at a prototypical level. Thanks for sharing Ian. 

Steve,

The low down shot is a favourite of mine too. No one ever comments but I think that in that particular shot especially it is difficult to discern what scale the model is.

Ian

• Agree 3

Ian, I agree that a lot of good 2mm scale modelling defies expectations and it is difficult to tell at times. Your exquisite coach painting in particular is an example.

On another note what is your overall philosophy for weathering on Modbury?

Steve

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Ian, I agree that a lot of good 2mm scale modelling defies expectations and it is difficult to tell at times. Your exquisite coach painting in particular is an example.

On another note what is your overall philosophy for weathering on Modbury?

Steve

Steve,

I tend to apply a little weathering to my wagons - generally overpainting the transfers in a wash of body colour as a minimum. I do want to try weathering the wagons and coach undetframe especially at some point.

Coach bodies and locos haven't really been weathered although again I have washed the loco lining with body colour to knock the lining back a bit.

Buildings have been mildly weathered with white,brown,black, and yellow ochre pastels (stiff brush used to pick up pigment from sticks of colour and dry brushed on). Again I want to tone things down a bit now I've finished all the buildings - wanted to apply similar weathering consistently across everything rather than weathering each as it was built.

Trackwork has again been weathered with pastels, dark areas added where locos would stand and where switches would be greased.

Ian

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the angle of the legs on the P&D Marsh horse Ian, the driver could be in front of it trying to coax it forward.  It looks like it’s laying back on it’s haunches; either that, or he has given it an almighty pull back on the reins. 

Tim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

With the angle of the legs on the P&D Marsh horse Ian, the driver could be in front of it trying to coax it forward.  It looks like it’s laying back on it’s haunches; either that, or he has given it an almighty pull back on the reins. 

Tim

Tim, now you mention it, I can see what you mean - I might try tweaking the legs with a pair tweezers to get them a bit more vertical :blink:

Ian

2 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Ian 

What colour static grass did you use 

John 

John,

I used a mix of 2mm Heki fibres roughly two parts mittelgrun and one part winterboden, mixed together before application. If I remember correctly on the bank behind the long back siding I used some Greenscene fibres instead of the mittelgrun as I'd run out.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/03/2020 at 08:17, Lacathedrale said:

Those last couple of shots are really effective. Seeing it at Stevenage last year, it keeps getting better and better.

Ian, does Modbury have any exhibition appearances in the North of England scheduled for this year? I tend to ration my exhibition trips nowadays (simply because I don't have the time) but would very much like to see it. 

1 hour ago, chrisveitch said:

Ian, does Modbury have any exhibition appearances in the North of England scheduled for this year? I tend to ration my exhibition trips nowadays (simply because I don't have the time) but would very much like to see it. 

Chris, Modbury's exhibition outings this year are all down south - Railex (Aylesbury) in May, RailWells in August and Aldershot in October. The only exhibition I have booked for 2021 is Uckfield.

I hope to get invited to some exhibitions north of the Midlands (where I'm based) in the next couple of years.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

The more I keep looking at that photos of the horse and dray (?) I keep thinking being reminded quite directly of the surroundings of Mortonhampstead - I'm not sure if that was deliberate or not, but it does feel very 'right'.

I haven't tried to copy any particular location, although I did look at Ordnance Survey maps showing contours of the Modbury area when devising the lay of the land.

Mainly I have tried to give the impression of the rolling South Devon countryside - specifically making sure that the road isn't "level" over any great distance, and making the road so that it was higher than the station forecourt so that there could be believable elevation changes in the station approach.

Similarly at the other end of the layout I wanted the track work to be on an embankment (mainly for the photo opportunity that feature provides). This dictated ground lower than the line rising toward the backscene.

How effectively I've managed to capture the feel of South Devon is not for me to say, but I generally get positive comments from the general public at exhibitions (even those who know the area around Modbury) which is really satisfying.

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, nice to see some more horsepower at Modbury. I especially liked the position of the dray in that last photo, under the trees and turning into the station approach. Maybe a good permanent position for it?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2020 at 16:36, Ian Smith said:

How effectively I've managed to capture the feel of South Devon is not for me to say, but I generally get positive comments from the general public at exhibitions (even those who know the area around Modbury) which is really satisfying.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid I don't know the area you are modelling at all but I can say it looks like a wonderful slice of old England, of the sort that Pendon does so well.

It is all highly motivational and gives those of us working in other scales great inspiration that you can do this so well in such a tiny scale! (I once built some plastic wagon kits in N and that made my eyes hurt!).

Great work!

John.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1