Modbury

Ian Smith

10 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Will you be glazing the cab windows, or putting a line around the holes? The cab front looks a touch undressed at the moment.

Simon,

I'll be turning up some little brass spectacle rims when I make the whistles.

Ian

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Today, I've tackled one side of the tender, and offer the following pair of photos as evidence to the jury.

The verdict is a unanimous 'Guilty! - of very high class workmanship as always'.  Puts us mere mortals to shame.

Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb job Ian, where did you get the giant 5p piece from that tender cannot be that small can it? I will be very pleased if my 7mm one turns out as good.

Don

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I think you should do a Dean Single, now you have got your eye in...

Tim

Tempted as I might be, the next one will be a Duke (assuming that I can get a motor in a little 2000 gallon tender) :rolleyes:

If Andy Carlson had his way I’d probably be making a broad gauge Rover next :o

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Tempted as I might be, the next one will be a Duke (assuming that I can get a motor in a little 2000 gallon tender) :rolleyes:

OooooH! Do the broad gauge thing. I have always been tempted by that stuff.

J.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, Donw said:

Superb job Ian, where did you get the giant 5p piece from that tender cannot be that small can it? I will be very pleased if my 7mm one turns out as good.

Don

They used to be available from the 2mm SA shop for people actively posting on internet forums to promote the small scale. They were often on backorder and the listing eventually got removed. Tbh. it was quite difficult to find in the listings unless you knew where to look since they were only ever available in Shop 5. Ian must've had his for quite a while.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

quite difficult to find in the listings unless you knew where to look since they were only ever available in Shop 5. Ian must've had his for quite a while.

With the Round Tuits, Sky Hooks, Long Weights, left-handed screw drivers, tarten paint, etc.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

They used to be available from the 2mm SA shop for people actively posting on internet forums to promote the small scale. They were often on backorder and the listing eventually got removed. Tbh. it was quite difficult to find in the listings unless you knew where to look since they were only ever available in Shop 5. Ian must've had his for quite a while.

Other coins are available:

DSC_1364.JPG.8734dc87fe2aad7cef858f932db372fb.JPG

Though generally only in Christmas puddings!  :jester:

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Other coins are available:

Though generally only in Christmas puddings! 

Must be a Scottish thing: I can find loads down the back of the sofa.

• Like 1

Just now, Regularity said:

Must be a Scottish thing: 

It was traditional to have a 'Clootie* Dumplin' ' at Christmas which had silver thre'p'nys wrapped in grease-proof paper mixed through it.

Jim

* so called because it was boiled wrapped in a cloth, or 'cloot', in Scots

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Great work Ian, I like the brownish shade on the frames. 

Show and tell sessions on Zoom, now there's a nice idea.

Mikkel,

The brownish shade is Precision Paints Indian Red, I can’t remember whether they do different shades for different periods as they do with their greens, I quite like it but it is definitely more brown than red.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

It was traditional to have a 'Clootie* Dumplin' ' at Christmas which had silver thre'p'nys wrapped in grease-proof paper mixed through it.

Jim

* so called because it was boiled wrapped in a cloth, or 'cloot', in Scots

Silver sixpence in the plum duff down here, but is that the only time you can find coins in a Scotsman’s house? (Or hoose?) ;)

On 24/06/2020 at 16:37, Ian Smith said:

Simon,

I'll be turning up some little brass spectacle rims when I make the whistles.

Ian

Back to the topic in hand.

Barry Norman has had success with turning Perspex rod (carefully!) in the lathe and then polishing it for spectacle glasses. It is very effective. I used to think it wasn’t worth glazing cab windows, but I have changed my mind since I started adding it myself. Had only moderate success with PVA-type stuff, although gloss varnish does help.

Will you be attempting glazing?

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/06/2020 at 23:24, Ian Smith said:

Some of the later Dukes came out with 2500 gal tenders according to RCTS