Modbury

Ian Smith

2 hours ago, Donw said:

Superb piece of work Ian.  Will she be on goods trains or pasenger duties?

Don

Don,

I expect a little of both. At exhibitions I tend to run my Metro with the 4 wheeled coaches, 1854 class on goods, and the Buffalo on both goods and 6wheeled coaches.  I’m trying to build a train of clerestory bogie coaches that will eventually go behind a Duke, if that train gets completed before the Duke (more than likely) then it will be Dean Goods hauled until then. When I play with my train set at home I run anything with anything - one of the reasons for having removable/moveable headlamps :rolleyes: (although I often don’t bother putting the lamps on, in fact I think the last time was for a photo session for the Association’s Headcodes booklet!

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

For me she is a bit of a milestone.  Partly because she is my first tender engine, but mainly because before I gave up trying to model in 2mm scale in the late 80's early 90's I had tried to build a Dean Goods (albeit in 1930's guise), but had failed because I couldn't get the chassis to run.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Thats exquisite Ian, they really are pretty locos. It seems an awfully long time ago I first met you at a show, with Highbury I think, and you said you were thinking of giving 2mm another go. 

Jerry

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thats exquisite Ian, they really are pretty locos. It seems an awfully long time ago I first met you at a show, with Highbury I think, and you said you were thinking of giving 2mm another go. 

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you.  I think that of all the pre-grouping engines and liveries, for me William Dean's were something rather special!

It was Leamington in 2012 I think that we first met when you and Kim were exhibiting Highbury.  Indeed, I hold YOU fully responsible for getting me back into 2mm scale modelling :D.  Over the last 7 or 8 years I hope that I have managed to "get my eye in" for 2mm Finescale modelling.  While I think I've managed to improve my modelling over that period, I also hope that I've managed a fairly consistent level of modelling such that my early stuff stands up reasonably well to my later offerings.  I've certainly achieved far more than I really expected over that time, having built 4 locos, 9 coaches, a little over 30 wagons and a whole layout to run them all on!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Superb testament to your skills Ian, very pleased to have followed you build and finally see her running well on Modbury.

I thought it was hard enough ( but nevertheless enjoyable ) to make mine in 7mm but you have proved it is certainly possible in the smaller scale.

I trust your move goes as smoothly.

G

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 16:10, Ian Smith said:

Before I pack up Modbury (and the Dean Goods) for an impending house move, I have taken the opportunity to produce a video of the Dean goods in its native environment...

Although unfinished, I have this time "dressed" the engine with the correct lamp headcodes for the occasion - initially with the "Light Engine" G headcode as she runs in the Down direction from Newton Abbot, then with the "Ordinary Goods" K headcode for her return journey with the morning pick-up goods.

Ian

Beautiful work as usual, Ian - the consistency and completeness of Modbury (signalling, point rodding, attention to colour detail etc.) is one of the things that makes me determined to press on and try and get something modest working in 2FS (albeit to little effect so far, but that's mainly circumstances). You camerawork also shows it off very well - it's a very watchable little cameo. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can You Guess What It Is Yet???

A few weeks ago while working on my Dean Goods, I discovered in my gloat box another set of six 10mm drivers of the old cast white metal centre/nickel silver tyre variety dating back to the 1980's/early 90's, and I also had a 7mm pair of the Mk IV brass centred/steel tyre pony truck wheels.  It seemed churlish not to make some use of these "finds", so following the announcement in the last 2mm Mag newsletter that the Association had a stock of the Tramfabriek 6mm and 7mm motors, I decided last week to place an order with Shop 3.

Over the last couple of days some 6mm square brass and a 1mm thick strip of brass have been bolted together, drilled, milled and filed to form an embryonic chassis - there is still a fair bit more milling and filing to be done, but I like to make sure that I have a working chassis before I start any further hacking chunks out of bits of brass.  The motor is the 6mm diameter one, and the worm and associated gear are real relics from a bygone Association age, being a 36:1 set comprising a steel worm (possibly 2BA studding with a central hole!) and brass gear wheel (with straight cut rather than helical teeth).  Whatever its pedigree, it seems to work!  Motor temporarily held on chassis with a couple of lumps of blu-tac, and leads touching PP3 terminals.

Thank you for looking

Ian

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

Is it a 517 perchance, from the title on your youtube video... 

Nice work as always Ian!

Best Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Hope you, Andy, mum and sisters are all safe and well.

I did notice that the video had a title, but only after I’d submitted the post - I couldn’t be bothered to either edit post or YouTube video.

Ian

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

This morning has seen a little bit of gardening being done on Modbury.  I've made a couple of little beds to go under the running in boards on the up and down platforms.  The base of each "garden" is a piece of 0.030" black plasticard, around which bits of broken coal were super-glued.  Once dry, the coal was given a couple of coats of Humbrol Matt White.  Strips of 0.010" plasticard were added across the back of each bed and painted Precision Paints Weathered Sleepers.  Once the ground surface had been given a painting of earth colour, planting could begin.

Small pieces of Woodland Scenics were glued within the "stones" to represent low growing plants, while small lengths of postiche were glued together in bunches to represent the stems of roses - once dry, the bunches were pruned, and dabs of PVA applied to the stems and the plant dunked in a bag of scatter material.  This latter action was repeated until I felt I had a rose-looking structure.  Once the PVA had dried, the rose flowers were added with thick Humbrol paint (the pigment from an un-stirred tin, I keep my tiniest of paint upside down so the pigment settles on the lid).  What tends to happen is that some of the scatter material gets picked up on the end of the brush, so these were carefully swished about in a little thinned paint, then re-applied to the plant stems.  A representation of delphiniums was done in a similar manner to the roses but this time using Woodland Scenics "field grass" for the stems which are lengths of pre-coloured straight fibres about 2" long.

The results are captured in a couple of phone snaps below :

Dn1.jpg.7c61bb58bad90d29290e0511ec69832c.jpg

Bed on the Down Platform

Up1.jpg.951611f778eee1d29f4e648a6641b2e7.jpg

Bed on the Up Platform

Thanks for looking

Ian

Nice work - they look very convincing Ian

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

One down, 6 or 7 more to go ...

15402A8A-4E69-4CC7-9EEB-9A79505D15C6.jpeg.ce84263ffd27e8231cd0cc50207375f2.jpeg
Forgot to include a coin of the realm for size comparison, but cross bars are around 9mm long.

Ian

Great work resulting in a very realistic pole, not to nit pick but a  technical point is they are cross-arms. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2020 at 18:13, Ian Smith said:

Can You Guess What It Is Yet???

A few weeks ago while working on my Dean Goods, I discovered in my gloat box another set of six 10mm drivers of the old cast white metal centre/nickel silver tyre variety dating back to the 1980's/early 90's, and I also had a 7mm pair of the Mk IV brass centred/steel tyre pony truck wheels.  It seemed churlish not to make some use of these "finds", so following the announcement in the last 2mm Mag newsletter that the Association had a stock of the Tramfabriek 6mm and 7mm motors, I decided last week to place an order with Shop 3.

Over the last couple of days some 6mm square brass and a 1mm thick strip of brass have been bolted together, drilled, milled and filed to form an embryonic chassis - there is still a fair bit more milling and filing to be done, but I like to make sure that I have a working chassis before I start any further hacking chunks out of bits of brass.  The motor is the 6mm diameter one, and the worm and associated gear are real relics from a bygone Association age, being a 36:1 set comprising a steel worm (possibly 2BA studding with a central hole!) and brass gear wheel (with straight cut rather than helical teeth).  Whatever its pedigree, it seems to work!  Motor temporarily held on chassis with a couple of lumps of blu-tac, and leads touching PP3 terminals.

Stellar work?

51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Stellar work?

I could have made a Stella I suppose, but that would have meant converting the wheels to extended axles and outside cranks.  However, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for small Victorian tank engines (especially those designed by Dean and Armstrong), so this next one will be a 517.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

I could have made a Stella I suppose, but that would have meant converting the wheels to extended axles and outside cranks.  However, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for small Victorian tank engines (especially those designed by Dean and Armstrong), so this next one will be a 517.

Ian

Modbury is a bit too late for the short saddle tank vesion but will it be the later Wolverhampton ones or the early Swindon rebuilds? Open cab  I hope, looking forward to another superb job.

Don