Modbury

Ian Smith

19 minutes ago, Brassey said:

Why not ring the changes with a closed cab 517 in brown?

my increasingly rubbish memory believes this change is beyond the usual time (1906) we are transported to for enjoying Modbury. 

Edited by richbrummitt

14 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

my increasingly rubbish memory believes this change is beyond the usual time (1906) we are transported to for enjoying Modbury. 

You could be right, according to RCTS, auto apparatus was fitted to this class from 1904.  It states that under Churchward many auto fitted engines were painted to match the contemporary carriage livery but gives no date.  No date is given either for closed cabs apart from "Under Churchward".

I have to declare an interest in that I am just finishing my second 4mm 517, this one in brown, but my layout is dated 1912 by which time 1425 might have still been in that livery.  RCTS states that the locos that were disguised with dummy coachwork had it removed by 1911 so the matching livery might have been obsolete by then too.  In which case rule 1 applies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Narrow closed Churchward cabs began to be fitted from 1902. The 'brown' livery was applied to a few locos in 1905. The brown wasn't the same as coach brown - the loco brown being a lighter reddish-brown. Here's a 7mm 1157 (by Tony Reynalds I think) sitting on Adrian Marks' photo track.

1157-brown-livery-small.jpg.3e8cefca14b4e935fe615362dfa788b8.jpg

I prefer normal green.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Narrow closed Churchward cabs began to be fitted from 1902. The 'brown' livery was applied to a few locos in 1905. The brown wasn't the same as coach brown - the loco brown being a lighter reddish-brown. Here's a 7mm 1157 (by Tony Reynalds I think) sitting on Adrian Marks' photo track.

1157-brown-livery-small.jpg.3e8cefca14b4e935fe615362dfa788b8.jpg

I prefer normal green.

The wolverhampton green obviously :jester:

there is quite a choice of liveries for a 517.

Don

Personally the brown livery does absolutely nothing for me, I’m not even a fan of LBSCR umber. Similarly locos in fake coach cladding have little to offer, I do however have a Worsley Works steam railmotor to do one day, although being a model of the preserved one I may have to model that in the brown livery, although there is more likelihood that it will be turned out in the same livery as my other coaching stock! It was I believe built in 1908, the year that the brown livery was introduced.

As for my 517, it will be open cab with the Swindon high-backed bunker, and I will probably find an example that had been auto-fitted by 1906 - I have an old Langley auto coach kicking about somewhere :D

Ian

• Like 8

4 hours ago, drduncan said:

Ian, to change direction a little; are there such things in 2mm as kits for the Dean 6’4” bogie?

Duncan

Not from the association shop. Both Ian and myself did artwork for our own respective etches. Also for 8’6” and 10’ in my case. I have some worsley works, 5522, mallard and other etched that need them. 

Here’s an example under the end of a 40’ van with some additional parts. 

20191127_201413.jpg.2eec2cef0f488adf372dbfc7402b31b9.jpg

without the usual subterfuge employed in all scales for the clearance between the hangers and springs it’s only good for very large radii. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, drduncan said:

Ian, to change direction a little; are there such things in 2mm as kits for the Dean 6’4” bogie?

Duncan

As Richard said above, both he and I have done our own etches for our own purposes. The chief shopkeeper has asked if I would mind doing some for the shop, but it’s one of those things that is on my list of things to do, and is a complete re-design to make them easier to assemble (springs and axleboxes mainly). Unfortunately because I have enough of my own for what I need the project is a bit of a back burner.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely views Ian. I look at Modbury and think "So this is how it was".

I'm always amazed at the difference telegraph poles make on a layout. Just a handful of uprights but they they add a lot of depth and width to the scene. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb looking locomotive Ian but then I am slightly biased. 

Contrived or not it certainly makes the scene believable in my eyes, you should be very proud with what you have produced to date and giving us all a snapshot of what used to be.

G

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

- the signalman has been pretty damn quick to restore the home signal!!!

Yes, if the guard had seen the signal go back to danger before he had passed it, he would be rapidly applying his brake.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2020 at 09:40, CF MRC said:

About time this appeared in MRJ!  

Tim

Its in hand, I have the text, waiting for the pictures which I suspect were waiting for the arrival of the number plates.

I hope we get some nice long freights even if it won't fit on the train table! 

jerry

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ian

thanks for showing the process. Most interesting that the top fill in is black. I must go back and check for mine as I think the gcr extended the brown up to surround the upper panels. This does look very doable. ( if that is a word). Though lots of skill and practice to make it look as good as yours

many thanks

richard 

• RMweb Gold
On 16/10/2020 at 10:38, Ian Smith said:

DG2569-2.JPG.d1d9218c909a815d71a185346711452e.JPG

That's superb, Ian. What's your position on sheets (tarpaulins) ? I'm ambivalent about them.  Aesthetically I prefer my trains and wagons without them, but we know what the prototype looked like. So far I have a halfway-house solution with a handful of detachable sheets at the ready, but that means no roping. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

That's superb, Ian. What's your position on sheets (tarpaulins) ? I'm ambivalent about them.  Aesthetically I prefer my trains and wagons without them, but we know what the prototype looked like. So far I have a halfway-house solution with a handful of detachable sheets at the ready, but that means no roping. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm a fan of fixed, correctly tied, sheets, having indeed used Ian's artwork for GW sheets. But I think depicting the sheet ties might be a bit of a challenge in 2 mm scale - but what's that scale for if not challenge? At 4 mm scale, I use sewing thread; for 2 mm one might have to unravel the thread and use separate strands. 

It's increasingly my feeling that one has to plan the model as a complete unit: wagon, load, and sheet; rather than regarding the load or sheet as an afterthought. (Not that I've consistently practiced what I'm preaching there.) An advantage of this approach is that one can often dispense with some detail on the wagon body!

• Like 3