Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2021 at 12:24, Ian Smith said:

Ian, that's not quite how a loading dock works... 

The first photo with the look from the front really impressed me, with eyes half closed I see a real loco during construction! 

(Of course, OO modellers are easily impressed when they see correct distance between the wheels :))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Ian, I really enjoyed that.

FYI I took your suggestion and found my own backing music. Works a treat with Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" :spiteful:

• Like 3

Just caught up with your video, absolutely superb. The running is so smooth it's hard to believe it's 2mm scale and the scenery is beautifully captured. Fascinating mixture of liveries on the stock in this period too.

I especially liked the half loaded open with parts of the load individually roped at each end. Not seen that done before. I might steal the idea for Cwmhir.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just congratulating myself for getting the axlebox overlays soldered onto an Association wagon chassis straight, then I read this...

Seriously though, it's brilliant stuff as usual Ian and I greatly admire your patience and ingenuity, especially with the toolbox hinge/strap method with the slivers of scrap etch. Also the fit between the bunker/floor assembly and the footplate is perfect with no sign of it being a separate component. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2021 at 15:46, Ian Smith said:

As may be noticed, the drivers have also had their balance weights added, these are simply arcs of 0.010" plasticard cut and filed to shape/size and superglued in place.  Also I've filed and bent up the front guard irons, and again these have been superglued in place on the side of the chassis (the rear guard irons are part of the outside frames for the trailing wheels).

Thanks for looking,

Ian

Elegant little engine, Ian. 

I always make balance weights from black styrene. Shows less if the paint rubs in service. 

Tim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/06/2021 at 14:49, -missy- said:

Fantastic Ian!

Is that the beginnings of another layout I see?

Julia.

Kind of…

I had a piece of 3.6mm ply 4’x6”, so I decided to put it to use and make myself a “proper” test track (instead of the 18” long one I have at the minute). Original intention was a run round loop and siding, ie 3 turnouts.

The idea has developed to give me a potential little terminus that fills the piece of board. The current plan is to build it as my test track then bolt on scenic bits to widen it to provide platform, etc. I intend to build it with a built in controller and ammeter (probably running off a battery) so that it fulfills the role of a test track.

TestTrack.JPG.c772ebd0541c84c6f3e28a6e57c9b5df.JPG

Since the above photo, I’ve moved the siding point North to give room for a catch point to protect the main line.  I had half a mind to do a quicky for the “60th” anniversary but I’m afraid the footprint of the challenge is just too small for anything I would want to keep.

It will still be in keeping with the Edwardian period I favour, but this will be cross-sleepered track with 29’0” rails from the 1870’s period.

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstated the photo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

So, how much of this detail are you going to incorporate into the cab?

IMG_6578.jpeg.42bc399d5749c4f8839600fbaf62ed35.jpeg

Beautiful engine!!!

I'm afraid that I won't be putting much of a backhead in mine - in 2mm with a driver and fireman in there you really can't see very much of the backhead!  I can't remember putting a backhead  in either my 1854 or my Metro and no one has ever commented that they're missing.  My Buffalo and Dean Goods both have very rudimentary backheads, but with the cabs populated you really can't see that much of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I should add that it is not my work, just a Lee Marsh Models RTR loco in Scale 7!

Hope these two additional photos shed additional light on things, although in 2mm scale, I think a suggestion of detail is all that is required.

IMG_1928.jpeg.bf6f8a2b493fea38083495e034fbbf1a.jpegIMG_1927.jpeg.4440acc18bb2758085a95237011f190b.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

It will still be in keeping with the Edwardian period I favour, but this will be cross-sleepered track with 29’0” rails from the 1870’s period.

Last night's suggestion from the area group to lay a third rail at 7'0.25" fell on deaf ears... :jester:

Edited by MinerChris
smiley
  • Funny 1