Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold

I made the trip to Lutterworth especially to see this, and I am glad I did: so much better in 3D, and a superb example of “trains in the landscape” in a fairly restricted space - which is what (IMO) 2mm is best at.

And Ian is a nice guy to talk to, too. 

Having seen how small the locos are, I am in even more awe of Ian’s modelling.

B2F94B59-1278-4E18-AD0E-289DBF2E89B7.jpeg.e4001cf65e403529111221472d5cc70a.jpeg

Shock horror: out of period loco!

6A2B8AF6-738E-45FC-8FE2-36F215EEA4E1.jpeg.01b681bed3c927f700d1b17c1220cb20.jpeg

9DC82CE6-27DC-4240-8A78-D228CAD02D78.jpeg.6306c81aeca9ec6baadb2b6f12d28e80.jpeg

A41FDC64-3738-477F-84CC-5E7D2079F9B3.jpeg.38ee372cab8c182e56c000157614416b.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 04/05/2019 at 15:55, Regularity said:

I made the trip to Lutterworth especially to see this, and I am glad I did: so much better in 3D, and a superb example of “trains in the landscape” in a fairly restricted space - which is what (IMO) 2mm is best at.

And Ian is a nice guy to talk to, too. 

Having seen how small the locos are, I am in even more awe of Ian’s modelling.

On 04/05/2019 at 15:56, Regularity said:

And the train now departing...

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

For comparison (4 years previously, courtesy of Don on the 2mm on the road thread):

Simon,

Thank you for the positive comments and for taking the time to post the photos you took!  I hope that Modbury (and everything else on offer) was worth the trip to the Lutterworth exhibition too!  It was good to talk and to be able to put a face to a name/pseudonym as well.

Obviously, as the builder I am conscious of how Modbury has developed since it's first outing to the 2mm Expo 4 years ago, and also how I've tried to develop the layout at each event I've been lucky enough to be invited to.  A few days ago I decided to add a new page to my website to document that progress in both words and pictures (as much for my own benefit as anything as I do find that looking back helps keep the momentum going).  If anyone else is interested the relevant page can be found here http://www.modbury2fs.co.uk/Exhibitions.html

Ian

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2019 at 16:55, Regularity said:

Shock horror: out of period loco!

Aha! Caught in the act Ian. After years of nursing the refined pre-grouping look, a photo slips past the controls of the Modbury publicity department and all is revealed :D

Thanks Regularity  for sharing those photos, I can never get enough of Modbury.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Aha! Caught in the act Ian. After years of nursing the refined pre-grouping look, a photo slips past the controls of the Modbury publicity department and all is revealed :D

Thanks Regularity  for sharing those photos, I can never get enough of Modbury.

Ah Mikkel, the secret's out :o

Seriously though, the Collett Goods (and a very dirty 57xx) belong to one of my fellow operators over the weekend.  She is a beautiful runner though, and until I build some more relevant pre-grouping engines of my own I'm afraid that I  have to borrow motive power for exhibitions.  At least she's not a diseasel, although I think at Modbury's first outing to the 2mm Expo in 2015 Chris or Andy Carlson had a Pendelino running while I was away looking at the other exhibits!

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a tradition of allowing visiting locos a run at shows which is part of the camadarie of 2mm.  Apart from the bulk road track which would probably been relaid with cross timbering by the time the Collett goods appeared little else would have changed that much. The layout is looking as good as ever.

If Taunton would not be too far to travel let me have your contact details and I will pass them on to Steve our exhibition manager.  I expect he is fully booked for this October.

Don

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Ah Mikkel, the secret's out :o

Seriously though, the Collett Goods (and a very dirty 57xx) belong to one of my fellow operators over the weekend.  She is a beautiful runner though, and until I build some more relevant pre-grouping engines of my own I'm afraid that I  have to borrow motive power for exhibitions.  At least she's not a diseasel, although I think at Modbury's first outing to the 2mm Expo in 2015 Chris or Andy Carlson had a Pendelino running while I was away looking at the other exhibits!

Ian

I think you'll find that a Pendelino if far too WCML for the quiet backwaters of Devon. Voyagers, Class 153's and Class 66's all the way...

Interesting comparison about how far you've come Ian, it's looking good!

P1000233.JPG.fc2b4d24eb0bf6d85e9935703e0a67e4.JPG

P1000225.JPG.60a9e4605d19cdf75a016acbfb4ff50a.JPG

P1000238.JPG.52d4007874868c4a22d0c02098da5243.JPG

Best wishes. Chris.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Donw said:

There is a tradition of allowing visiting locos a run at shows which is part of the camadarie of 2mm. 

Yet another similarity between 2mm and S.

30D4A211-6076-4610-A488-70A83FC3F393.jpeg.b95c1ad179354135bce7b7ea665efa80.jpeg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, MinerChris said:

I think you'll find that a Pendelino if far too WCML for the quiet backwaters of Devon. Voyagers, Class 153's and Class 66's all the way...

Interesting comparison about how far you've come Ian, it's looking good!

P1000233.JPG.fc2b4d24eb0bf6d85e9935703e0a67e4.JPG

P1000225.JPG.60a9e4605d19cdf75a016acbfb4ff50a.JPG

P1000238.JPG.52d4007874868c4a22d0c02098da5243.JPG

Best wishes. Chris.

Chris,

You know me - I haven't got a clue what class any of the locomotives are that aren't green with nice shiny bits stuck on the top!

I merely remembered that either you or you dad (or both) had a red thing with a sloping front trundling around Modbury when I came back, I'd forgotten about the other ones :rolleyes:  Thank you for posting the images though - I think those 3 images show all of the stock I had at the time.

See you when you're next back in the country,

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

After taking some photos of something else (a clerestory coach that's on the workbench), I discovered a few photos I'd taken of Modbury at the recent Lutterworth exhibition.  Most suffered from severe depth-of-field issues, but there was quite a nice one of the overall setup that I took before the public were allowed in :Lutterworth0.JPG.35e2b4aee1ad173b8d78d29e77239961.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Excellent work Ian. Those platform photos really show off the details well, such as the barrow.

I'm extra impressed by the ejectors!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Excellent work Ian. Those platform photos really show off the details well, such as the barrow.

I'm extra impressed by the ejectors!

Thank you Mikkel.

The barrows are Shire Scenes etches (not strictly GWR ones but life is short).  The 4 wheel platform trolley's are my own etches (as indeed is the bench).  I have some Shire Scenes etched benches to make up too at some point, although for our Edwardian period the all wood benches seemed to be more prevalent - At some point I want to try to make some of those too.

Ian

• Like 1

Lovely job Ian. Decided not to stick with the NSLR livery then?

A set of compasses with a bow pen on one arm and a blunt bit of brass rod in place of the sharp bit is worth a try for painting lines around corners. Probably best to practice on something else though.

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, D869 said:

Lovely job Ian. Decided not to stick with the NSLR livery then?

A set of compasses with a bow pen on one arm and a blunt bit of brass rod in place of the sharp bit is worth a try for painting lines around corners. Probably best to practice on something else though.

Regards, Andy

Thanks Andy.

I thought she had spent long enough in NSLR livery, and needed her finished before I progress too far with my Dean Goods.

Never thought of trying a compass bow pen. I've got my dads old set kicking around somewhere that has one of those in. I'll have to dìg it out for the next time.

Ian