Modbury

Ian Smith

Lovely stuff, Ian - can you advise how you're punching out NS with the steel? I've recently come across a video where a chap is punching out foil (Rather than NS) with the back end of a drillbit over an eraser to get rivets - but this seems like it's a little more involved!

17 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

Lovely stuff, Ian - can you advise how you're punching out NS with the steel? I've recently come across a video where a chap is punching out foil (Rather than NS) with the back end of a drillbit over an eraser to get rivets - but this seems like it's a little more involved!

Very simply! I placed the 0.004” nickel silver over a piece of sheet lead, placed my punch in place and gave it a firm tap with a hammer. The resultant punching is embedded in the lead, so the lead sheet is flexed to enable the punching to be winkled out with the point of a small screwdriver. In the past I have used a beer mat as the support instead of lead but in this instance I found a piece of lead before a beer mat :D

Hope that helps

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Very simply! I placed the 0.004” nickel silver over a piece of sheet lead, placed my punch in place and gave it a firm tap with a hammer. The resultant punching is embedded in the lead, so the lead sheet is flexed to enable the punching to be winkled out with the point of a small screwdriver. In the past I have used a beer mat as the support instead of lead but in this instance I found a piece of lead before a beer mat :D

34 minutes ago, D869 said:

Isn't it obvious? The beer mat is under your pint.

Depends.

Maybe the pint came after he “collected” the lead. Doesn’t do to be drinking whilst climbing on a roof... ;)

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Donw said:

Lovely job on the coaches Ian and a lovely job on the etches for the S6. I could do with a 7mm version.

Don

Don,

The Broad Gauge Society do a 7mm kit for the S6 coach (they used to be the old IKB Models kits I think).

Ian

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

The Broad Gauge Society do a 7mm kit for the S6 coach (they used to be the old IKB Models kits I think).

More lovely modelling Ian especially the S6.

You are correct about the BGS kit in 7mm, here is a link if anyone is interested...just type S6 in the Search Box 

http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/modelling/bgs_parts_prices_7mm.html

G

Edited by bgman

8 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Once separated, the tumblehome was formed in my usual manner of thumb pressure over a suitable piece of steel bar.  

Hi Ian, coaches are looking good. Very timely as I've recently been distracted by some coach kits too.

Do you have a mock up that you could show of this? I've always been shown the 'cardboard jig' method of forming coach sides. This often seems to bend where you don't want it to, like at the bottom of windows, and not where you might want it to, like down to the bottom of the side.

Best Regards,

Chris 

10 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Ian, I finally got out to the post office and sent you a small parcel today.

Richard,

Parcel received this morning. Thank you.

The items look fantastic, absolutely amazing what a “home” printer can do!
I might have to put coaches to bed for a week or so and get on and finish the Dean Goods now. :rolleyes:

Thanks again to both you and Tony.

Ian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MinerChris said:

Hi Ian, coaches are looking good. Very timely as I've recently been distracted by some coach kits too.

Do you have a mock up that you could show of this? I've always been shown the 'cardboard jig' method of forming coach sides. This often seems to bend where you don't want it to, like at the bottom of windows, and not where you might want it to, like down to the bottom of the side.

Best Regards,

Chris 

Chris,

I tend to attach the lower edge of the side to a piece of bar with masking tape so that it doesn’t move and making sure that the side is parallel to the bar. Then rub my thumb along the length of the side to produce the tumblehome.  It probably should be noted that all of my coaches are panelled so the part of side being bent will be about 0.005” thick.

I use the same method for forming the rooves, but rub the metal over with a coffee stirrer or block of balsa to burnish out any irregularities, and also because the radius is often much sharper especially on a 3-arc profile.

Hope that is helpful

Ian

• 2 weeks later...