Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

The gap is very tight, but I’ve checked my widest/most over hanging locos and stock and all is good. Luckily as Don mentioned I have no intention of building any Dreadnought coaches (or even Concertina ones for that matter). The only bogie coach I have in a running condition is only a forty footer so not much longer than my 4 or 6 wheelers.

If you want a short bogie coach a D15 is pretty good.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

How has the fit turned out wrt. the drive on the front driver being visible from the side, especially with having to reduce the diameter of the worm gear with the result that the motor shaft sits  lower than originally intended?

On 28/04/2021 at 11:22, richbrummitt said:

How has the fit turned out wrt. the drive on the front driver being visible from the side, especially with having to reduce the diameter of the worm gear with the result that the motor shaft sits  lower than originally intended?

Rich,

In short the interior gubbins is completely hidden! I was careful to only remove what I needed to to clear the worm and motor shaft (the Tramfabriek 6x15 motor is completely hidden within the tanks).

Rich1.JPG.ec68cea679e89d89176e40e2fc308533.JPG

Underside of the boiler assembly to illustrate the areas removed to a) allow it to sit snuggly on top of the tanks and b) to clear the motor shaft and the worm.  The red staining within the boiler tube is evidence of the heat applied when I silver soldered the boiler barrel into the rebate in the firebox.

Rich2.JPG.d881779b5f678cbd0f3ae4a730b7a8c8.JPG

Side on view that shows that the motor shaft is actually a little higher than the bottom of the boiler, and the worm is hidden behind the splashers.  When I have made and fitted the springs that sit behind the splashers the end "shackles" will probably even hide what can be seen of the cutout below the boiler.

Just realised that that low down side on shot also gives away my secret - an outside pick-up spring that plugs into the side of my solid chassis.  The plug is usually a bit of 0.5mm phosphor bronze but on this loco it's a piece of 1mm brass wire (in my haste I'd drilled the holes too big by picking up the wrong sized drill! - I had just drilled 12BA tapping holes).  On this side it only goes in 1mm as this is the 1mm strip side of the chassis.  The spring itself is some fine phosphor bronze wire which wraps around the plug once and is soldered to it.  The spring wire is cut to reach the outer extremities of the flange so that there is no chance of it ever catching on the spokes, obviously it bears on the top of the axle like any normal "Simpson" spring.  Looking at this photo on the computer screen I've also just realised that I've put the coupling rod on upside down on the side - that will be addressed when I next warm up my hot stick.

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
Reinstated the photos
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Ian, glad to see you are still at it .I am trying to catch up on your blog ,since watching your video on U-Tube . A master piece.

The 517 is looking really sweet if thats the term that should be used . I hav'nt heard any news about the Uckfield Exihibition if its on or off at the moment .I suppose we will have to wait until 17 th of May for the latest on covid restrictions, bearing in mind it's about 20 miles from me , I will keep my ear to the ground. If i hear anything this end I will let you know. 

Keep up the splendid work Ian.  Regards Ray.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2021 at 11:21, Ian Smith said:

I feel that she is starting to look like a 517 now, hopefully eventually she will look a bit like this :

278199193_517(539).jpeg.a956f9fbab7030c005c939f9326c558d.jpeg

The model is looking superb Ian.

I assume that, afterwards, you'll be doing those 5-6 Siphons in the background? :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I assume that, afterwards, you'll be doing those 5-6 Siphons in the background?

It'd be rude not too ! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I assume that, afterwards, you'll be doing those 5-6 Siphons in the background? :)

Forget them" look at the other detail, particularly on the turntable.

Handles for turning it - none of these "agricultural" levers stick out for someone to walk into, and then there's the inspection pit in the well wall for the table locking mechanism - how often do we see that modelled? Details of baulk road, and there appears to be a wooden cover over the "4 foot" approaching the 'table: access for the locking mechanism again, perchance?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

1 hour ago, bgman said:

It'd be rude not too ! 

Hmmm, 5 or 6 siphons or another loco? Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Then again, there’s that train of clerestory bogie stock that I keep promising myself that I ought to get on with!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Brilliant. Now you've got me looking for them.

They are one of the most easily modelled, yet most frequently overlooked, features of a turntable well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Hmmm, 5 or 6 siphons or another loco? Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Then again, there’s that train of clerestory bogie stock that I keep promising myself that I ought to get on with!

What would Dean do? Well, actually, he would probably build the loco :D So let me re-phrase that: What would the Board want you to do? But then, that's just so dull !

• Like 1

Very impressive. 

I have had success in the past in a similar situation to your washout plugs by pre-tinning the wire and then, when they are in place in the hole, just applying flux and heat without any additional solder. If the tinned wire really is a tight fit in the narrow part of the hole there should be enough solder on it to make a sound joint but insufficient to flood the broader part. If the solder on the tinned wire is insufficient for a sound joint, flood the hole (preferably just at the narrow end) with solder and then redrill it, then with both hole and wire effectively pre-tinned you should get a perfect joint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

517 progress ...

At the minute they look rather like the splash-down capsule of the NASA Apollo rockets :D 

Nit-picking, but actually more like Mercury capsules than Apollo ones. :dirol_mini:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

You’re quite right of course, getting my space programs mixed up :blink:

Well, space programmes sometimes get their measurements mixed up, with somewhat worse consequences...

• Agree 2