Huntley & Palmers Fireless Locos

BG John

In my search for something fairly quick and straightforward to knock up as my first 7mm loco, I'm wondering about something based on the Huntley & Palmers fireless ones. It's got less bits that a normal steam loco, and one of them is the only real loco I've ever driven!

I've been Googling, but haven't found a drawing, but I've got quite a good official photo that I'm altering the perspective of in GIMP, that I hope I can use to produce something based on it. But I haven't got any dimensions. I've found this, but don't fancy relying on the press for accuracy! I've also found this, an official Bagnall's photo with the text "for leading dimensions see other side of card", but there's no sign of the other side of the card!

Has anyone got any dimensions that would help? Just the length and height would probably be enough, as I'm happy to do something fairly freelance.

Ok, so its Bagnall 2473 (and/or 2744) of 1932.  I can find that as built it had 3'0 1/2" diameter wheels and a wheelbase of 5'6".

From what I can tell, the locomotive is now "displayed" behind a farm shop (and can just about be made out by the little man on Google).  If you fancy a trip over the Pennines, try contacting the shop owners.

Ok, so its Bagnall 2473 (and/or 2744) of 1932.  I can find that as built it had 3'0 1/2" diameter wheels and a wheelbase of 5'6".

From what I can tell, the locomotive is now "displayed" behind a farm shop (and can just about be made out by the little man on Google).  If you fancy a trip over the Pennines, try contacting the shop owners.

Thanks Eddie. The wheel size may help, but the rear wheels are pretty well hidden behind the cylinders and in shadow. I'll see what I can do, but I think I need the overall length and height.

If you fancy something a bit simpler than scratchbuilding the Bagnall you could see if Adrian Swain would sell you an ABS/Zero Zephyr Barclay fireless kit..  Ray.

Buy?????? Not if it's more than around a tenner complete! I'm after something cheap and simple to use until my Dapol Terrier arrives, and I want to use it for practice before I start some serious scratchbuilding! What I'm aiming to do just won't happen if I have to start spending several hundred quid on each loco.

If I can get this photo scaled fairly accurately, I'll be having a go at cutting the parts on my new Silhouette Portrait, and looking for something round for the accumulator. The working parts will probably be bits of old OO locos, as it only needs to shunt two or three wagons.

Thanks Eddie. The wheel size may help, but the rear wheels are pretty well hidden behind the cylinders and in shadow. I'll see what I can do, but I think I need the overall length and height.

Yes, but you can see the boss of the coupling rod under the cylinder.

This what you need, no other book comes close.

Brian R

Except that it only gives the same dimensions (checked with the same authors' monumental tome "Bagnalls of Stafford").  the book has some good drawings, but alas none of the H&P locos (and no photos, either).

• RMweb Premium

Wireless Locomotives by Baker & Civil (Oakwood 1976) has drawing of Barclay 0-4-0F but not Bagnall, same authors book on Bagnall SG locos (Plateway) has drawing of 0-6-0F & photos of 0-4-0s! No more dimensions! Railway Bylines had articles on Huntley's railway a couple of years ago.

Dava

This what you need, no other book comes close.

Brian R

£18 + £2.70 postage from Abe Books

£16.52 + £4.86 postage (from Australia) on eBay

Nothing on Amazon

Just for two dimensions that may not be in it!!!!!!!

Or Abe Books have got "Bagnall Fireless Locomotives (Preserved)" by Waylon Christian Terryn for £37.70 + postage, but that may not tell me either!

Yes, but you can see the boss of the coupling rod under the cylinder.

That photo is too small for me to work with. It's not visible on the one I'm using. The problem is that as I change the perspective, the whole image gets distorted, so I don't see how I can do anything without some overall dimensions. An expert may have better results, but this is the first time I've managed to achieve anything even remotely useful, but it's not enough yet.

This is what I've managed so far. As you can see from the guidelines, I've got it pretty square, but I've only guessed the relationship between the length and height, and I can't see the rear wheel. It's a little bit clearer on the original photo, but not enough to get the precise location. The front wheel isn't that clear either, so I'm not sure I could use it for an accurate measurement.

The only dead side on photo I've got is a fairly distant one I took, probably with my Mum's Box Brownie, on the dull and misty day I got to drive it, but it's so small and blurred it doesn't help.

post-7091-0-22814000-1435703488_thumb.jpg

The photo is an official H&P one they gave me a copy of, so not mine, but it was published in the Railway Modeller credited to me when I was too little to know about these things!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Several of us were trying to help with your project & spent time investigating sources, no need to be grumpy that the exact data is not readily available. Ultimately you either guesstimate or go & measure it up!

Dava

".......Not if it's more than around a tenner complete!......"

"..... If I can get this photo scaled fairly accurately, I'll be having a go at cutting the parts on my new Silhouette Portrait, and looking for something round for the accumulator. The working parts will probably be bits of old OO locos, as it only needs to shunt two or three wagons........."

Your own words

If you are prepared to cut corners, why dismiss out of hand those who try to help you conduct research in an effort to assist you in perhaps creating a better model.

In future I'll stick to rummaging through my library and records for those who appear a little more grateful.

Brian R

• Like 3

Sorry, I wasn't intending to come across as grumpy, and I do appreciate your efforts. Maybe I should have added some smilies rather than exclamation marks.

I'm planning this as part of a, hopefully, quick micro layout to get me started in 7mm, and with using the Silhouette cutter. I'm intending my first efforts to be a bit quick, cheap and basic, but when I have more experience be able to go back and improve on the existing designs, that I can build again to a higher standard. So I may be cutting corners to start with, but would like to start with something as dimensionally accurate as possible, both to get the practice, and so that I can improve on it later. This is certainly my plan for the Kent & East Sussex loco I'm working up to building, where I want the basic dimensions spot on, but may well build a first version with detail missing or simplified, on a chassis made up from old OO gauge bits on longer axles. The super detailed version on Slaters wheels with a proper 7mm motor and gearbox can come later when I know I can make a good job of it. I think that's an advantage of having a machine that can turn out repeat sets of parts whenever I want them.

So that's why I'm looking for accurate dimensions, even though I appear to be a corner cutting cheapskate!

• Like 1

Pity really.  Not for the first time (and doubtless not the last) if it was for more serious research I could have put you in contact with someone who knows a lot more about these things.

Actually five minutes searching on the web would tell you how to get in touch with the current owner and a polite e-mail may result in them taking and sending you those measurements.

• 6 years later...

I've only just come across this thread. HP1 is a loco I have some connection to as I was part of an unsuccessful attempt to have the loco cosmetically restored and put on display in Reading about 15 years ago.

Unfortunately although our then contact at the Council was keen on the idea, Council inertia meant that by the time the Council had identified a suitable site, the loco was then on its way to Yorkshire, where it has languished ever since!

I did make a 00 gauge model using a Hornby/Dapol Pug chassis but the modification to reverse the cylinders was unsuccessful so it is now a non-runner.

45 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

You have to pay the market value. Currently that's £25 but it will go up, you can be sure of that.

I've seen it on eBay for a fiver. None on at present.

But it's in my "You looked at" list on Amazon. They'll probably send me an offer over the next week or two.

it's those Amazon algorithms again. Prices rise and drop depending on views. But if you've previously looked then they sometimes sell for less.

It keeps sending me offers for cheap Hornby Pecketts and Terriers at the moment. :laugh:

Postcard of the H&P No 1 here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402758934835?hash=item5dc64da133:g:9k8AAOSwnIBgV1dZ

Jason