73129 top and tail with Bellerophon

31 108 top and tail with 47 401

Sunday 16th August

73129 top and tail with Bellerophon

5580 (31 162)  top and tail with 45 108

Narrow gauge steam  Joffre , Joan

Yard area 'Whitehead'

All locomotives are subject to availability 

Other locomotives will be positioned in and around the Swanwick area for photographs

Paul Warden

Railex Ops Team

A couple of images of Barton Road  by Benn Pollard.

This superb N gauge layout will be on show at Railex.

post-12870-0-65443400-1438761532_thumb.jpg

post-12870-0-73112300-1438761557_thumb.jpg

More updates to appear here soon, so keep visiting for the latest information.

Steve

Railex Team

The Midland Railex Show guide will be available on  this site from Sunday:

post-12870-0-75153800-1438761689_thumb.jpg

The free to download guide gives full details of all Layouts/Demo's/Societies & Traders

As the Midland Railex site is very large, we advise that you study the guide prior to your visit, so that you do not miss anything.

A free  paper copy is of course provided with your admission ticket on arrival a Butterley Station.

For more details including prices, opening times and directions please visit:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/midlandrailex/

Steve

Railex Team

Really looking forward to bringing Barton Road to the Midland Railex this year, it looks like a really good do! Please feel free to say hello and ask questions over the weekend, we like the social side of things as much as the railway operating.

Cheers,
Benn.

Unfortunately due to transport issues beyond our control Bellopheron will not be delivered to the MRB in time for the Railex

Mainline trains will be operated as below:-

Saturday 15th August

31 108  Railfreight grey top and tail with BR Blue 47 401

73129  (Steam) BR Lined Black top and tail with 45 108

Sunday 16th August

5580 (31 162)  top and tail with 47 401 both in BR Blue

73129  (Steam) BR Lined Black top and tail with BR Blue 45 108

There should be 2 steam locomotives operating the narrow gauge services using resident 'Joan' and visiting 'Joffre'

We are sorry for this late announcement but as with all railway activities problems occur that delay or cancel movements. The Railex team are sorry for this but hope that the show will still be a major success and hope to see many familiar faces and visitors.

Please could you tell us what time the trains start running from Butterley station? Is 73129 on the first train? The timetable page on the MRC website just says special timetable.

Thank you.

Hi

The first train leaves Butterley at 09.30 with class 45, 45 108 hauling

73 129 attaches to this train on arrival at Swanwick.

The first departure from Butterley with 73129 on (rear) will be 10.10.

7329 will be on the first all line train leaving Swanwick at 11.15 for Ironville with 73129 then pulling up the hill back to Swanwick.

Regards

Paul W

Railex Ops Team

"Den Rode Kirke", the Danish display in the Railwayman's Church is set up, here are a few pictures.

post-7218-0-45422000-1439574319.jpg

post-7218-0-97392300-1439574339.jpg

post-7218-0-75180700-1439574354.jpg

Don't forget that you can win one of four Danish coaches kindly donated by Heljan, competition forms are availalable from the Scandiavian Railway Society information stand.

See you there!

Nick

Hi to everyone don't forget to join us on Sunday for day two of Midland Railex we had a great day today why not come and visit us tomorrow.

Lots to do for all the family with some really great layouts + full size  trains as well.

A couple of today's visitors comments from our Facebook page:

Keith Jackson We arrived at 10am, wandered around all the exhibitors and only managed one trip on the last train to Ironville. There is a lot to see and do and some very interesting people to chat to.

Neil Kinsey Just had a great day here with The LMS-Patriot Project. A good few pounds in the coffers, thanks to all who contributed. The stand will be there again tomorrow.

For full details including show guide and timetable please visit www.midlandrailex.co.uk

Look forward to seeing some photos of the event posted here soon, as I got chance to have a brief look at the layouts whilst checking all was well with the traders and exhibitors.

Steve

Railex Exhibition Manager

Big thank you to the organisers for putting on another good exhibition.

Visited yesterday and this event remains my favourite exhibition with a fantastic mix of real and model trains, an added bonus was the appearance of three diesels on the trains (although I appreciate that steam fans may have been slightly disappointed), which seemed to be running well despite the presence of a pilotman indicating possible signalling issues?

Despite not being an enthusiast my Wife also enjoys this event as she can wander around in the sunshine and look at the real exhibits etc which she enjoys (although being pregnant I think she was glad it wasn't too warm and there were plenty of places to sit on the way round!)

Only minor comment was that it appeared that some of the real locos weren't positioned in good locations for photography as they had been in the previous years, although this is a personal opinion and probably logistically quite difficult at a working railway centre.

Being located just under an hour from me I am seriously considering volunteering at the Midland Railway Centre, anyone know if they would have a need for a "technical" person working for a major utility company and former "big railway" employee?

Hi Jon

Thank you for you kind words and offer of becoming a volunteer at the MRB.

We are always looking for volunteers in all departments at the Midland Railway Butterley. Whatever you are interested in there will be something there for you.

I have been volunteering now for ove 20 years and have made many new friends and worked on many different projects.

Apologies for the parking of exhibits during this years show. Unfortunately we had a major problem with the 3 way point in the yard which left us short for space to use.

I am impressed that you noticed we were working with a pilotman. This was due to a fault with the Swanwick to Butterley section token and only one signal box in use. We had to work this way in order to get the shuttle trains running and avoiding major delays for people arriving and travelling to Swanwick.

Please have a look at the MRB website and contact the station for further information and contact details for the relevant department you are interested in.

Kind Regards

Paul Warden

Railex ops team

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the parking of exhibits during this years show. Unfortunately we had a major problem with the 3 way point in the yard which left us short for space to use.

There's a 3 way point in there somewhere? Is it in a bit the public can get to? At some dim and distant point (no pun intended) in the future my layout will need one and I've no yet managed to get my head around the things, so another trip back with a camera would be handy.

Back on topic thank you for another good show, it always makes an interesting mix having the models and the full size alongside each other, although perhaps I'm not so keen on the real thing - I found the 20 just outside the diesel shed rather intimidating whenever I happened to glance that way and saw it there! What was good this year is that I managed to get there early enough not to have to do a mad dash around the place, there's certainly plenty to see.

There's a 3 way point in there somewhere? Is it in a bit the public can get to? At some dim and distant point (no pun intended) in the future my layout will need one and I've no yet managed to get my head around the things, so another trip back with a camera would be handy.

Back on topic thank you for another good show, it always makes an interesting mix having the models and the full size alongside each other, although perhaps I'm not so keen on the real thing - I found the 20 just outside the diesel shed rather intimidating whenever I happened to glance that way and saw it there! What was good this year is that I managed to get there early enough not to have to do a mad dash around the place, there's certainly plenty to see.

Glad you enjoyed the show and thank you for supporting us.

The 3 way point is in the centre of the yard at Swanwick and is current;y red flagged and clear so you can get to it if you wish to measure / photograph.  It is the long siding next to the ex BR research coach and has a 47 and Western parked near.

The 20 was not meant to intimidate and was parked as an exhibit but more so as a wind break so the shed door could be open without to much wind / dust blowing in.

We are currently planning 2016 with the dates set for August 13th / 14th so please keep the date in your diary

If you would like assistance regarding the 3 way point, please talk to any of the staff / volunteers working in the yard and they should be able to help

Regards

Paul W

Railex ops team

Cracking show went on the Saturday enjoyed the train ride towards the main line when low and behold a pair of 20's sat there ready and waiting trip back to swanwick 2 class 20's a class 31 on the front 3 coaches and a 47 on the rear all that power

• RMweb Premium

The 20 was not meant to intimidate and was parked as an exhibit but more so as a wind break so the shed door could be open without to much wind / dust blowing in.

I appreciate that - it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment and being able to wander around with the real locos close up is great. That said I do think that feeling wary of a loco facing you is probably a healthy fear! Please don't think that I'm complaining though.

• 2 weeks later...

Midland Railex 2015.  Sunday

A big site, lots to see, not only the models and traders to look at and chat to, there are the permanent exhibits to look at and the trains to ride on. They had the big blue diesels out and a couple of steamers.

Weather was fine and sunny, which helps a big open site like this, The giant sand pit beach by Butterly station was a hit with the toddlers who could play and watch trains at the same time.

The fork lift truck museum remains fascinating, between the bus shed and the big train shed.

There was a big thumping stationary diesel driving the line shafting in the machinery building. All clackedy clack external valve gear busily whirling around, you could watch it for hours.

The Danished themed layouts in the tin Kirk had the extra attraction of a quiz about it which was fun finding out stuff and searching the cameos modelled on the layouts for clues.

They had the Kirtly 2-4-0 out in the sun shine, fascinating to see how small it is compared to the big class 45 diesel. Amazing that they where built to do more or less the same job.

For me the best layout there was Loughborough Midland, a big roundy roundy showing a well modelled Loughborough station at about the year 2000. 00, big long blue trains zooming through, it showed the goods yard intact which of course has now been built on at the full sized station. Unusual presentation, fiddle yards hidden from view so you did not know what was coming next, just like the real line, very well done. But I wish there where more seats set out near the layouts because; 1) I can rest my weary legs whilst watching the trains and 2) the layouts look better viewed from nearer track level.

Didn't get around it all, my legs gave out, drank a lot of tea as it was so hot there.

Grainy photos to follow

The Kirtly

post-6220-0-90321000-1440612855_thumb.jpg

Archived