Windows for Skytrex engine shed

I've recently received at Skytrex north-light engine shed kit.  The windows for both walls and roof are part of the resin castings and are solid and I was wondering if there are any replacement etched windows available that could be made to fit. Just hoping that someone has been down this particular primrose path before me and knows the answer.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric

Sometimes with resin castings the layer turns out to be a bit thicker than intended - this would account for the windows being filled in.

The infill should be thin enough to remove with a sharp craft knife.

Regards.

Edit - just occurred to me - is your kit 4mm or 7mm scale?

I think the 7mm scale models should have openings in the windows but the illustrations on the website look as though the 4mm scale versions are solid.

You should still be able to open them out - a bit of care will be required.

Hi Bill

My kit is 4mm (00 gauge). The castings are far too thick where the windows are for a craft knife to be used, a drill and a file would be more appropriate. However, within the kit there are 16 windows and each window has 12 panes in it. Life is just to short to even attempt cutting that lot out, hence my enquiry regarding a replacement etching. Given the dirty conditions of engine sheds a suitable colour of paint may well suffice.

Regards

Eric

Hi Eric,

Etched windows to replace those in the Skytrex engine shed / warehouse mouldings are available from Geoff Taylor of GT Buildings Models here;

http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/page11f%20etches%20list%204.html

The item you want is No.644 on his listings: http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/page11g%20etches%20pics%205.html

Geoff drew them to my commission when I encountered similar issues to you.

Regards,

Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived