Tips for modelling in a basement?

• RMweb Premium

I am currently living in a basement apartment and if there was any way that I could continue to model? I think the major thing is that there is not much ventilation in the basement so glue/liquid cement may not be the best idea.

I have found EMA Liquid Solvent Cement to be pretty much odour free (although that doesn't mean it is necessarily non-toxic); similarly Evostik PVA wood glue (for scenery) and Evostik Solvent-free contact adhesive.  I would be more concerned about soldering without ventilation.

Harold.

Perhaps you need to buy a fan to move the air around and also one of those fancy lights to replace the sunlight.  The guy I used to work with had a special light to stop him getting too depressed by the lack of daylight.  I have to say that our offices were on the first floor but then it was Scotland!

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you need to buy a fan to move the air around and also one of those fancy lights to replace the sunlight.  The guy I used to work with had a special light to stop him getting too depressed by the lack of daylight.  I have to say that our offices were on the first floor but then it was Scotland!

Regards

Ray

I know how that feels like...

• RMweb Premium

Thoughts - keep a check on the humidity and temperature ranges and if necessary get hold of a dehumidifier or even the small linen-cupboard ones often found in supermarket laundry sections.  Try within sensible means to maintain an even temperature in the place; obviously there's going to be a range between night : day and summer : winter but the smaller the range the healthier will be the accommodation and any layout built in it.

Ventilation is an issue already flagged so it's worth asking before making use of solvents and adhesives whether the vapour is lighter or heavier than air - in other words will it vent out or will it accumulate at floor level and be a serious risk?

It might pay to consider placing a fan in the main room just to circulate air - it doesn't heat or cool it but it can help to move it through in places where there's limited natural ventilation; a pedestal fan would be ideal if your space permits.

Depending on your lighting situation artificial daylight illumination might be helpful.  Can you safely install up-lighting at floor level giving an even spread up the walls?

And there's no limit to what can be achieved in even a small space.  I one had what would today be called a shunting puzzle built in OO set up on the bedroom window ledge of my stone-built house in a space no more than 18" deep and 4' long.  

Good luck and show us the results.

Archived