Un-named But in Existance...

wensley

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know before you start reading this thread that the layout it is about actually exisits - unlike some other threads I've startede intending projects to start soon after rolleyes.gif !! For several reasons I have decided to not contine with plans to build an exhibition layout of Leeming Bar but when Owen of these forums advertised a partially built exhibition layout I just couldn't resist...

The layout was meant to be set in LNER times but with only trackwork and wiring complete it was perfect for conversion to my chosen period. The layout has an 8' x 2' scenic section and a 4'x1'6" fiddle yard meaning it is a little larger than I first planned building a layout but has plenty of room for 'proper length' trains.

Photos of an initial test session can be found at http://www.layoutblog.fotopic.net as the server isn't playing ball with uploads angry.gif

The scenic section depicts a single platform station (terminus) with run-round loop and yard comprising of 2 sidings. This may not sound a lot but the layout is very 'roomy' allowing lots of shunting. I have been thinking about location and, naturally, it had to be in the North East. As there are no such locations in the North East I am making it a fictional location (as yet nameless - I'm open to suggestions) taking inspiration from various locations. The CE sidings are going to be typical of those around the railway network. A small loading pad and virtual quarry will exist as well as small loco stabling siding and crew point allowing ballast trains in and out of the terminus.

The layout will be set between 2000 and present day meaning there will be a variety of passenger services to the terminus including HSTs, loco-hauled and DMUs - over time a re-creation of the Workington Shuttles may also put in an appearance!! The occasional railtour may visit when my rolling stock fleet will allow. Other freight will take the shape of coal, steel and limetstone to and from a small steelworks further along the branch. Track rationalisation means these trains must run round at the terminus before and after working to/from the steel works. With a little inspiration taken from Battersby a preserved line is also near by and its access to Network Rail also means steam and diesel loco moves must visit the terminus on their way to and from the line - preserved live services may even make it to the terminus icon_thumbsup2.gif

I'm running out of time now but soon I will talk about the construction of the boards and how they are wired as well as how the first test session went. PHOTOS ARE HERE at http://www.layoutblog.fotopic.net and please take a look and comment here: I will add some pics to this thread as soon as the server is playing properly icon_grumpy.gif

It must have been one hell of a good Valentine's Day party Wensley: there's a dead reveller under the layout on the home page biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif Maybe not dead but comatose..... (Or not - far too much cursing for a corpse!!)

Thanks for the support Owen. You may be able to help me with the following as explained in the following paragraph:

On Saturday I assembled the layout to give it a thorough testing. The layout sits on some newly purchased trestles from B&Q and accross some batons that were fabricated by Owen and are put together using bolts and wing-nuts from 2 seperate pieces of timber.The layout was wired together without mishap and with a transformer found for the Combi 20132 was ready to do the honours. The platform road ran fine all the way down to the headshunt and point 4 (closest to the scenic break) was fine. I was also able to throw point 3 (allowing access to either sdgs or loop) using the electronic mechanism. The problems found from this initial test was that point 2 (in the 'yard') will only throw in one direction and does not attempt to throw back and that point 1 (headshunt)appears to be dead icon_confused.gif - any pointers. The shorter siding has an isolated section of track to allow 2 locos to stable at the same time - I am happy to report that this works fine.

Next job is to check the faults out and try to rectify them - one red wire is found to be out of place but trying to get it onto the correct terminal of the D-Sub and trace it back to the correct switch of the controller could be tricky.

Some more pics of the wiring may illustrate the problem if I get chance to add some later...

post-7517-126694767127_thumb.jpg

post-7517-126694749034_thumb.jpg

Archived