• RMweb Gold

Almost certainly green by then but not so sure about the lining as it depends on when it was shopped and repainted.  A 1962 pic on the 'net of it at Highbridge suggests that it was definitely green but it is far too dirty to sensibly make out if it is lined although it looks as if it probably was.

Did any late BR-period plain green (unlined) liveried WR locos subsequently go into lined green (other than perhaps in preservation)? I would have thought not but would be happy to be proved wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Did any late BR-period plain green (unlined) liveried WR locos subsequently go into lined green (other than perhaps in preservation)? I would have thought not but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Quite likely based on usual shopping intervals although the initial plain green period was fairly short (end November 1956 - end January 1957) so there probably weren't all that many locos painted that way before lining came in.  The fully lined period lasted long enough for some engines to get shopped again so it is more than likely that they were then lined, and maybe even fully repainted depending on the class of repair.  However it is equally possible/probable that some were not repainted between the initial unlined period and the final unlined period and thus either stayed unlined or were repainted twice in unlined green.

The definitive answer will lie in the shopping records but a quick check of withdrawal dates against date of painting in the initial unlined green indicates the engines would have passed through at least one major classified repair in that period and if it happened before the second unlined green period they would have been lined out.

Edited by The Stationmaster

None according to the RCTS book, which also states 82001 as painted green, and lined as of November 1957.

• RMweb Gold

None according to the RCTS book, which also states 82001 as painted green, and lined as of November 1957.

Does that include ex GW engines as well Paul or just the 82XXX standards?  

Interestingly 82004 appears to have gone the other way - from lined green to unlined green.  The only one I can find a picture of in the first unlined green is 82007 which judging from later pics was repainted again in unlined green although it might just have been patch-painted when the emblem was changed, the shopping history (if available) might answer for that one.

The RCTS book I was referring to is the BR Standards part 3, the tank locos. 82004, along with 6/20/21/31/32/33(?)/34/35/ & 41(?) all originally lined, but later unlined ( or claimed = ?). 82007 was the first of the class to go green in Jan. 1957, unlined, with a large early crest. Of course one noticeable detail on the boiler, of the green locos, was the addition of the grab rail just in front of the dome, on most, if not all of them.

But one of my big regrets is not having the RCTS series on the GW locos, I've always sold s/h sets as the selling price was always too good to pass during my shop owning days :-).

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

The RCTS book I was referring to is the BR Standards part 3, the tank locos. 82004, along with 6/20/21/31/32/33(?)/34/35/ & 41(?) all originally lined, but later unlined ( or claimed = ?). 82007 was the first of the class to go green in Jan. 1957, unlined, with a large early crest. Of course one noticeable detail on the boiler, of the green locos, was the addition of the grab rail just in front of the dome, on most, if not all of them.

But one of my big regrets is not having he RCTS series on the GW locos, I've always sold s/h sets as the selling price was always too good to pass during my shop owning days :-).

The RCTS series is generally too early (and the updates seem too limited) to deal with the ins & outs of the green livery period - alas

Can anyone tell me if during it's brief spell at Templecombe (04-61 to 08-62) 82001 was in black as I suspect or did it receive a coat of green?

I have an undated photo of 82001, stabled I believe at Highbridge Works, sporting the additional handrail and lined green livery, (albeit pretty grubby).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Tim, but 44 was the odd-ball, lined black, re-painted in April 1963 in the same style as the class 2 tanks, number on the cab-side under the windows, and unlined bunker.

post-57-0-03204100-1436107629.jpg

(Bachmann body, modified Comet chassis).

• Like 6

Answered my own question!! Sabotaged and defeated Vol 1 page 118 nice shot of 82001 in lined green looking very clean. Photo undated but given the short time it was on the S&D I guess it was like it for the entire stay. When was 82044 on the S&D, it's not listed in Shed by Shed Part Five as at Templecombe or Bath?

Edited by Benbow

• RMweb Gold

Answered my own question!! Sabotaged and defeated Vol 1 page 118 nice shot of 82001 in lined green looking very clean. Photo undated but given the short time it was on the S&D I guess it was like it for the entire stay. When was 82044 on the S&D, it's not listed in Shed by Shed Part Five as at Templecombe or Bath?

She was at Barrow Road and regularly worked into Bath Green Park. Not sure how often she went down the S&D, would have to check photo books...

When was 82044 on the S&D, it's not listed in Shed by Shed Part Five as at Templecombe or Bath?

Ian Allan locoshed book for Autumn 1965 (correct to November 7 1965 for Western Region) shows 82044 at 82F (Bath Green Park). In the Spring 1965 edition, it had been at Exmouth Junction.

This site http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=82044&loco=82044 says it was withdrawn from Gloucester Horton Road in August 1965, re-instated at Bath in September and finally withdrawn in November 1965.

Thanks pH, yes that ties in with what I have found so not much good working out of Templecombe then!! Also it was right at the end of the S&D life so really is a bit limited unless one uses a big chunk of modellers licence :)

I rode behind it from Bath to Evercreech one Saturday in October 1965. It was in terrible condition, taking the best part of twenty minutes to clear the tunnel even on a short train.

Edited by bécasse
Typo (1966 instead of 1965) corrected - rather belatedly

According to "BR Steam Locomotives - Complete Allocations History 1948-1968" by Hugh Longworth, 82001 was at

Bristol Bath Road - Mar-58 to Jul-58

Chester - Jul-58 to Apr-61

Templecombe - Apr-61 to Sep-62

Hereford - Sep-62 to Apr-63

Exmouth Junc - Apr-63 to Dec-63

Taunton - Dec-63 to Jun-64

Bristol Barrow Road - Jun-64 to Dec-65

Withdrawn - Dec-65