Early 70's BR(S) workbench

Aye up. Having bought an old DC kits 71 loco off e-bay to mess with/up and sell I thought I'd keep it after all. There followed the shopping and bidding for bargain EMU's and fate seemed sealed by luck, if luck means loads more work and faff.

After reading all about the blue Hornby 4-VEP(after buying it of course) I followed the whole thread and I'm having a crack at it along with a couple of CEP's .

This is the VEP so far:

First I obtained a set of Romford 12mm disc wheels and bearings for the trailers. The bogies need opening out around the axle and of course the bearings need to be fitted into drilled holes.

post-910-0-23165000-1435935206.jpg

The power bogie has had the axle with traction tyres removed and the wheels taken from the axle to be swapped for wheels from the spares pack for the trailing bogie of the same vehicle.

post-910-0-21388000-1435935465.jpg

The performance is much better now.

The corridor partitions were built from plasticard and acetate.

post-910-0-04235100-1435935599.jpg

I followed a thread by 5-Bel and basically copied what he did for the front end. Thanks. Razor sawing the gangways in half and widening it whilst moving the front windscreens out. MJT supplied the scallop roof vents and horns and there's still etched wipers to fit.

post-910-0-76483400-1435935903.jpg

post-910-0-10212600-1435936172.jpg

I feel an afinnity to the VEP more than the CEP model after trying to remove the bodies of the CEP to weather it. It took me hours yesterday and my fingers and nails hurt a lot.

post-910-0-57932900-1435936361.jpg

You discover that you need to get your nails into all 4 corners of each vehicle after fitting these strips of thin plastic.

More on these later.

Edited by Andrew F
  • Like 4

The 4 -car units have all been basically weathered but still need extra detailed paintwork. The Vep's yellow ends were painted with a very pale yellow I tried to match to photographs but the Bachmann fronts are almost orange. I think the ideal is somewhere inbetween. The buck-eyes will need to be replaced on the Cep's as they appear tiny compared to the MJT cast units on the Vep and Caroline.

post-910-0-83451000-1436043558.jpg

While the paint dries I've moved onto the Epb and T-cutted the bodies. A real pain that job is with all the handles and door stops. I don't mind the finish on the blue/grey units but the all blue sets look really flat. The top shell has been polished and the bottom not.

post-910-0-79824600-1436043586.jpg

I'm not sure it was necessary but I've tried to give the roof conduits some depth. I guess that with extra paint on the roof it will look even more flat.

post-910-0-64021600-1436043625.jpg

The left shell has been excavated and the right is virgin. The picture doesn't really prove anything does it?

post-910-0-62429900-1436043656.jpg

• Like 15

....and very nice to hear from you too Mark. Maybe you found the thread because I wrongly called it SR instead of BR(S). Strangely everything south of father Thames is the Southern Railway to me.

I can't remember how I strayed into your thread to be honest ... just took a quick glimpse last night ...

Today I'm looking at the first photo in post 2 and particularly enjoying the pale 'eggy yellow' of the cab fronts.

I have to say that tone looks quite an authentic reproduction of the sunbleached / years of service colour I recall from years back. Equally it could serve as accurate 'colour perspective' (?)

Nice to see the orange curtains ... when these trains first came out I thought the curtains made them quite posh :)

btw, PM sent through another forum btw in case you wondered where it is.

Edited by Southernboy

Yes, I know what you mean Mark, with the colour perspective. The RTR stock seems to be a copy of the original paint colour with no consideration to viewing distance; nothing really wrong with that I suppose. I do remember the bleached fronts from holidays in Dorset and of course the orange curtains; a lovely contrast with the blue and grey. I wonder  if the curtains were removed in more recent years. I recall a trip to Brighton (not sure which unit type) maybe as late as 2004 in a first class compartment but I don't remember seeing curtains.

More colour conundrums for me are the rooves. Now I doubt they'd be peely/blistery in the early sevs and in phots's on line they appear fairly uniform; grey/blue paint with grey dirt or possibly down to old film, a bit of red/brown dirt. Well, I've tried both and how they appear really depends, like the real things, on sunlight or shade and never truly uniform.

I tried brushing some light powder on the lightly matt airbrushed rooves (spell check says no. is it roofs?)

post-910-0-30195000-1436313462.jpg

Then rubbing most of it off with a grubby digit.

post-910-0-08141600-1436313587.jpg

Here's the Ceps now standardised with MJT buck-eyes and roof work weathering done.

post-910-0-20458500-1436313712.jpg

And the Vep with contrasting yellow fronts. How awful are those Hornby headcode stickers?

post-910-0-03615600-1436313846.jpg

Weathering the corridor connections on these units has takes a long time and I'm still not convinced. The prototype photo's are quite hard to believe too.

• Like 17

I think the curtains in second class were disposed of quite early on - I certainly remember being quite struck by the fact that the 'posh new trains' became 'less posh' quite soon after entering service ... or at least it seemed like that from a young perspective. The big plastic runners for the curtains remained in place for quite some time after the curtains were abandoned - which sort of added insult-to-injury. I'm sure curtains remained in first class (could be mistaken).

'Rooves' or 'Roofs' ?: Ignore the spell check Andy.

Depends on the voice with which you wish to address your audience. I like mine to be idiomatic. It's a subjective matter,  rather like whether you believe in using colour perspective or not.

My one quesion is this -  (and I hope others will help out) - I seem to recall the colour of jumper cables as more leathery-brown rather than black? (I'm just looking at 'A Southern Electric Album' - Michael Welch - Capital Transport - it certainly seems like that) ... although looking at page 50, bizzarly the cables are blue!

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

Are those jumpers from pre or post nationalisation units Mark? I've just used whatever grime is in my universal paint bottle which tends to be dark grey/sometimes a bit brown.

Next up is a rake of 1951 Pullman coaches based on the Hornby (table lamp lighted) coaches. I've just been working on a guard/parlour vehicle.

This is coach S208S, a standard Pullman Parlour converted to micro guard for the Golden Arrow.

It's an older model and I've made styrene NEM pockets so it can be coupled using Roco 40270 close couplers.

post-910-0-91819200-1436988887.jpg

Interior lights are fitted and jumped off the flicker free circuit for the table lamps and one of those sticker interiors off ebay had been added along with those cheap China seated figures (minus legs off course)

post-910-0-45105800-1436989009.jpg

And this is the micro guard compartment. It's a coupe compartment with the seating chopped out.

post-910-0-36159300-1436989225.jpg

post-910-0-09573700-1436989655.jpg

There's some modellers license involved here and it looks a bit rough and cheesy but no need to worry; none of it's visible once the body is on....eh?

The main work was a re-spray into reverse blue/grey, a livery I like very much. The other coaches in the rake were much more involved and more about them later.

post-910-0-55172800-1436989320.jpg

As it's a guards vehicle the doors needed scratch-building at one end and the distinctive square lav windows putting in. They were just filed out and hand cut glazing let in. The beading is just 0.01 Slaters microstrip.

It's worth noting that the curtains in the last compartment (the guards) have been removed by very fine finishing paper and T-cut. It works very well and a whole coach could be done....I should have done. Worth knowing for anyone who doesn't like the Hornby curtains or want's a match for the new 'K' types.

Well, here's the 'Arrer':

post-910-0-44334900-1436989755.jpg

More to follow on the coaches.

• Like 12

Well what to say... That's some fantastic work! In one thread you have EMU's, Pullman's, eltrical gadgets and a 71. Ticks all my boxes :) Southern boy gave me the heads up on this thread saying I'd like it. He was not wrong! I look forward to seeing what else you can do with southern (BR(s)) stock :) Very good indeed.

• Like 1

Re. the jumpers - just been back and taken a closer look. It seems 50/50 between grey / leathery-brown or buff. All post-war pictures.

I guess new jumpers were black, but weathering over time made them leathery-brown or buff (and the brown being probably more winter pictures - buff being summer - it all depends on the light when pictures were taken / moisture in the air and all that).

Seeing as you're lighting the interiors you know what I thought may be neat?

Slithers of tin foil to represent cutlery on the tables, it would catch the light :)

Either way, nice work Andy.

Hi Andrew,

Your models are excellent, the Pullmans especially so. I am looking forward to seeing more of them. My own ones have stalled somewhat as other projects have neede to be finished.

Mark. Nice idea with the cutlery. I may have had a go at something like that a few years ago but I just don't have seem to have the time these days and I don't want to break the coaches open again; they've been apart so much the clips have worn away.

Colin and 5Bel. You fellas have been a major influence behind my projects and I will admit to basically copying your work and using your knowledge on 2-blue Bils and the 4-Vep plus a lot of the ideas for parts for the Pullmans. I do wish I'd have used MTK bogies instead of Genesis but I'll show you that later when I get the pictures up.

I would like to build the 'Nightcap Bar' like 5-Bel and also 'Isle of Thanet' in original Pullman livery so there will hopefully be something along a work in progress with these too.

I find the research hard to come by on the net regarding the '51 coaches. I've read the 'Isle of Thanet' was a 57' 6" coach. Does anyone know if this is true? It was in Chruchill's funeral train and spent time in America and still exists but I can't find anything about it. I know it has just 6 windows down the side.

Anyway. Here's some of my favourite diesels of the era; the Class 33 or 'Crompton'; Shredder to some.

Bought as 'Dutch' and sub-sector petroleum liveried projects from the classifieds I wanted to really strip them out and re-work the bodies.

post-910-0-55321300-1437510301.jpg

This is the 33/2 I've done for ferry wagon trains and dock duties. The cantrail grille surrounds have been taken back and the cab steps drilled out. I've rippled the sides by scraping away plastic from marked 'frame' areas and then fitted a Shawplan roof fan and grille. These etches are a lovely bit of kit. Also from Shawplan are the glazing units. I'd normally make my own but since I was getting the roof fan I bought the glazing too. After all the filing and manipulating, the grilles have become a bit bent but that's how they can look on the real loco. That's what I say anyway.

post-910-0-02493300-1437510676.jpg

I've many happy memories of the 33/1's on the Waterloo to Weymouth services and I wanted a really battered one so I cut quite a bit of plastic away.

post-910-0-56238900-1437510826.jpg

The gloss finish is just rubbing the Railmatch BR blue with T-cut. A lot of people don't like the gloss finishes or the ripples but I prefer them. I can remember the battered sides actually wobbling in the evening sun at Weymouth. This shot should show the cantrail grille surrounds. Rough again but I think it looks ok.

post-910-0-10003300-1437511022.jpg

I think the finish gives the loco's a heavier more purposeful look.

Back to the Pullmans for the next update.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 17

Pullmans:

Would there be anything in the Pullman Profile books from Noodle?

http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk/search?searchTerm=pullman+profile

Loco:

I love the ripples. In fact just a week or so ago was observing some (not that old) units out of Waterloo, noticed how their panelling was sagging (concave) in places, and thought of you.

You're mention of the Waterloo to Weymouth services brought memories of seeing them cruising through my local station (probably mid-1970s)  :)

Anyway, impressive and inspiring work as always Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

Your 33's look spot on, creases were very common when I was taking photos of them in the early 80,s. This is at Clapham Junction in 82 or 83.

sml_gallery_7006_720_21807.jpg

Hopefully there is an image attached!!

Looking forward to seeing your Pullman's

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad "sagging bodies" reminds you of me Mark. Thanks:). And thanks Ian, for the MJT tips for the curtains and the Replica glazing idea. I'm looking forward to your Pullman projects too; I only wish I'd used the MJT bogies but that can be addressed in the future; probably when Hornby bring out the '51's. I have spare "Golden Arrow" lettering for one coach if you decide to do a Blue /grey example.

I thought I'd show the casts for the MJT curtains.

post-910-0-07770900-1439150514.jpg

I think they are listed as BR curtains. They are certainly an improvement over the Hornby printed version.

I'd say these coaches have been the biggest modelling challenge for me and have taken the best part of a year to complete. They are not perfect and not totally accurate. Minerva for example is a micro guard but I've modelled it as a Parlour...it did become a parlour but many years later. Chronology is way out too for 70-72.

post-910-0-91681500-1439150765.jpg

I've used 247 developments roof ventilators and they are a pretty good match for the Hornby ones.

post-910-0-19355500-1439150843.jpg

Actually I can tell them a mile off looking at the photo.

I still need to paint the frames blue on this coach:

post-910-0-39193800-1439151056.jpg

post-910-0-57845900-1439151147.jpg

post-910-0-54114300-1439151169.jpg

The end doors are Replica but I think Comet do a nicer etched one

post-910-0-27722800-1439151206.jpg

One of the hardest parts of these projects was the lining. I used Woodlands Scenics rub-on white lines and what a nightmare! You are either rubbing under a gutter or on a  masking paint line. Very difficult!

post-910-0-90399700-1439151271.jpg

Luckily I've put two strong coats of varnish on the coaches to preserve the lining.

So there will be loads of 71's produced soon. Am I evil hoping the '51 Pullmans won't get mass produced? Oh well, they'd be to expensive for me.

• Like 9

Etches for curtains! I never knew such things existed.

I'll probably embarrass myself now - but I'm not quite sure exacly how many projects we're looking at here (sorry!)

Am I correct in thinking you have on-the-go the following:

1 x 4-VEP (Blue Livery)

2 x 4-CEP (Blue and Grey livery)

1 x Rake of 1951 Pullman coaches (Cream and Umber)

1 x Class 33 / 1

1 x Class 33 / 2

1 x Golden Arrow rake in reverse BR Blue and Grey livery

Either way - exquisite work Andy - expecially the rooves, I keep just ...  looking at them :O

Weathering the corridor connections on these units has takes a long time and I'm still not convinced. The prototype photo's are quite hard to believe too.

They look spot on to me Andrew :sungum: 

I also like the effect on the roofs, but I wonder how permanent it will be on a area that will atract dust & require dusting from time to time?  :scratchhead:

Hi Andrew,

Superb work on the units and Cromptons, I remember the VEPs really well as they worked the 93 headcoded stoppers down my way. I only remember seeing them in blue grey though I remember the smokey orange curtains too, I think later on some were replaced with a grey ish colour but that may have only been in first class.

Pushers were common too and your 33/1 looks great I always thought they sounded better than the others.

I don't remember the class 71s except seeing some withdrawn ones at an Eastleigh open day.

Do you have plans to build a layout for this stock to run on?

Cheers Peter.

First class modelling Sir. Whilst I do not have much knowledge of the southern region, being on the GEML, I can still really appreciate the modelling. 

We used to go out on the southern and I have to say that to me, you have certainly captured and recreated the stock perfectly. Love the weathering and detailing, especially the ripples on the body side, superb!

Those Cromptons look great!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents.

Mark, Thanks, I've a few more projects on the go too that I've been working on over the last year and half or so such as an air-braked modern container rake and car transporters. More on those soon.

Phil. Yes, I'm a bit dubious about the longevity of powders too and time will tell. I've had some success with the sneezing stuff on matt finishes or when it's been applied with a thinner. The rubbing with a greasy finger keeps it down a bit too.

Peter, thanks. The 33/1's stick in my memory the most too. I'm glad so many still exist. The 71's I never saw except the preserved loco. I bought this one as a cheap project off e-bay to finish and sell on but I liked it and restored it.

I love the idea of boat trains and channel ports. I'm not sure when I'll get around to starting a layout but I'd base it on a compressed Folkestone harbour and I'd like elements of Dover such as car transporter loading and container traffic/yards and cranes but I'm not sure I'll ever have room for all this on a layout.

I'm partial to the SRN4 hovercraft too so maybe I'd include a Hover terminal instead of a ferry. I should consider 2mm scale really as I already have a 2mm Airfix SRN4 and CEPs and 33's are available rtr.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Luckily my favourite Pusher from back in the day is alive and well down at Swanage. I had a few miles behind the old girl last year when I was over for a visit.

I don't remember seeing an SRN4s but quite enjoyed the smaller ones than run between Southampton and the IoW. A nice big hovercraft and some boat trains sounds like a good idea for a layout. I remember seeing the boat trains coming out of Southampton even worked on one when I was a shunter. Stick with the 4mm though it would be a shame not to use the stock you have already done.

Keep the updates coming, Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-65654900-1440845839_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-19125000-1440845901_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What a great railway that is Peter. I get down every year for the diesel gala and beer festival and love that part of Dorset.

It's also possible I've seen the SRN4's but don't remember. Funny how seeing something that bonkers may not etch itself in the mind and they've not been out of commission that long. The same for me with Folkestone Harbour. I was there as a teenager but have no memory of the harbour area. I remember the Weymouth boat trains very well but then we went every year and I used to walk down to the quay with the loco.

Is the Southampton boat train branch officially closed or mothballed? There's another smaller Airfix Hovercraft kit but in 4mm scale; I wonder if this is a kit of the craft that you remember?

I watched the Michael Caine film 'Black Windmill' and that featured the SRN4 in it's largest variation and in 'Hoverlloyd' livery. I prefer them in original condition wearing a variation of BR livery. This is my Airfix one:

post-910-0-69963400-1440861238.jpg

I've not really thought about what kind of a job it would be to scratchbuild a 4mm version.

Well next is the Tr-ang/Hornby Railroad FFA/FGA container train that I've been working on and off with for some time.

• Like 2

Thanks gents.

Mark, Thanks, I've a few more projects on the go too that I've been working on over the last year and half or so such as an air-braked modern container rake and car transporters. More on those soon.

Phil. Yes, I'm a bit dubious about the longevity of powders too and time will tell. I've had some success with the sneezing stuff on matt finishes or when it's been applied with a thinner. The rubbing with a greasy finger keeps it down a bit too.

Peter, thanks. The 33/1's stick in my memory the most too. I'm glad so many still exist. The 71's I never saw except the preserved loco. I bought this one as a cheap project off e-bay to finish and sell on but I liked it and restored it.

I love the idea of boat trains and channel ports. I'm not sure when I'll get around to starting a layout but I'd base it on a compressed Folkestone harbour and I'd like elements of Dover such as car transporter loading and container traffic/yards and cranes but I'm not sure I'll ever have room for all this on a layout.

I'm partial to the SRN4 hovercraft too so maybe I'd include a Hover terminal instead of a ferry. I should consider 2mm scale really as I already have a 2mm Airfix SRN4 and CEPs and 33's are available rtr.

Cheers

Andy

The only 'modern' container loading at Dover was on to road vehicles, as the loading gauge was too restricted by rail for anything above the 8' high boxes that had worked on the London- Paris Freightliner in the late 1960s. In the latter days of the Train Ferry, an important traffic was pet food from Orleans to Melton Mowbray; some went all the way in bogie ferry vans, but the container element was brought by rail from Orleans to Dunkerque, then transhipped on to road trailer for the rest of its journey. Have you followed David Todd's thread on here about Dover? You might will find it inspiring.

Those 'textured' Class 33s are superb; is the difference simply that some areas have been T-cut, whilst others haven't? This sort of 'rippled' effect wasn't confined to Cromptons; 47s and others had similar 'texturing' of the surface.