Early 70's BR(S) workbench

There was an MTK kit for the 73 and one on e-bay recently...didn't bid or see what it went for but it looked pretty tasty. MTK were great and I wish they were still around. I would have gone for one if not for this Dapol beasty kindly proffered by our Mr Todd. This loco will probably end up in Dover town yard anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All the Treansfesa vans have been painted now and await transfers to magically appear on them

attachicon.gifP1020306.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020309.JPG

https://www.eltallerdelmodelista.com/transfesa-logos-9034-p-19245.html?osCsid=pjehr1ea62kuv1ip55c9aene93

These might be of use although HO.......I've built some Transfesa vans in 2mm and have had to make my own decals.

Excellent modelling

Edited by acg5324

Thanks Andy, I didn't know about those and they may well come in handy. 

What source did you use to base your transfers from? I can't find a clear enough photo of the numbering/lettering but some of it would be miniscule in 4mm never mind 2mm.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, I didn't know about those and they may well come in handy.

What source did you use to base your transfers from? I can't find a clear enough photo of the numbering/lettering but some of it would be miniscule in 4mm never mind 2mm.

Cheers

Andy

I just produced using Word a red O the right size and red bars to make the symbol plus white lettering over blue background for the Transfesa lettering.

Anything else will have to be from a generic sheet ( Fox do a sheet of International vehicle decals ) as it'll be too small to print....and read!!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

There was an MTK kit for the 73 and one on e-bay recently...didn't bid or see what it went for but it looked pretty tasty. MTK were great and I wish they were still around. I would have gone for one if not for this Dapol beasty kindly proffered by our Mr Todd. This loco will probably end up in Dover town yard anyway.

One or two phrases in that statement are enough to have you sectioned...

• Like 2

I just produced using Word a red O the right size and red bars to make the symbol plus white lettering over blue background for the Transfesa lettering.

Anything else will have to be from a generic sheet ( Fox do a sheet of International vehicle decals ) as it'll be too small to print....and read!!

If the item ended on Aug 6, location Darlington,   it  went for 35 squid plus postage.

I've bashed 15 vehicles for the FFA/FGA container flats, mainly from Tri-ang models and a few of the later Hornby types. All have been brought down from the loft for a bank holiday modelling session so it's back to school, dear old bloody old school (in Ken Russell silly high voice).

Was it 'S' kits that did a detail kit with instructions to modify? How impossible would it be to find enough to do a 15 bogie rake? There are some still knocking about but in the end I thought it easier to just scratch build the parts.

The standard ride height and all the toy like features:

attachicon.gif031_zpsqhugztzi.JPG

Removing the bogie rivet with a screwdriver:

attachicon.gif040_zpsmllwdeka.JPG

Now some are easy to remove and some the devil; I've taken the drill to some!

With the bogie removed it's time to file some of the plastic away from the mounting. I found it takes more than 2mm to to make the bogie sit right.

attachicon.gif042_zpsyskbulqu.JPG

Obviously the filing must be totally square. In this photo all the unnecessary plastic has been cut away with Xurons:

attachicon.gif030_zpsqz8a5elp.JPG

At the moment I have no 10mm Romford disc wheels so I've just ground the big flanges off the nylon wheels....yuk!

Here's the bogie re-mounted with a self-tapper. I've used Bachmann DMU couplers for reliable operation on the FFA inners. The FGA has standard Bachmann mini's at the buffer ends. Ridemaster bogies are weighted with lead to help gravity.

attachicon.gif043_zpscfrwwf8p.JPG

Here's a comparison of the rtr against my 'opened up' chassis including filled area above the bogie mounts. The vehicles are modelled with 'splash guards' on to save more work....I think they kept them on in the early days.

attachicon.gif039_zpsz52pummt.JPG

Of course, the chassis is still poor and solid in the horizontal department.......they will always be a poor compromise.

Here's the inner end of the FFA/FGA :

attachicon.gif044_zpsaalb1jch.JPG

...and the buffer end of the FGA where it couples to a loco or another 5-bogie set:

attachicon.gif045_zpsnicmc2pr.JPG

I'm working on the loads at the moment. They are based on 10', 20', 30' Freightliner boxes and opens. Certainly more Anglo-Scottish than London-Paris I'd say at the moment.

The beam is scratchbuilt with old Jackson Oleos fitted and Bachmann air pipes.

Yet another ton of work followed by an announcement of rtr. Still, All good fun.

Cheers

Andy

Great work.

Very helpful.

I'm trying to do something similar with my 5.

• 2 months later...

Early December I got the time together to start the last 6 Hornby VIX ferry van conversions and these are now at the rolling coupling box that needs detailing painting and decalling stage.

These vans include 3 Italian FS vans with 6 vents per side, a similar SNCF van with 4 vents per side and 2 Interfrigo vans of the same length including a "Flying Snowflake"

All use the standard Hornby VIX chassis with the side detail/mess cut away and the VIX body with the doors removed and the aperture filled with plastikard.

I opted for metal bufferheads only from 51L rather than full units and I think the choice was a good one as the Hornby buffers are not bad. 16 inch diametre for the FS vans and 18 inches for the Transfera blues.

51L also supplied the brake levers, guides and the tie down cleats and towing anchors whereas I procured the vent plates from Jon Hall.

post-910-0-07318600-1483372333.jpg

The French van so far:

post-910-0-01984100-1483372388.jpg

One of the Italian ones:

post-910-0-26622500-1483372463.jpg

The under trussings of the original Hornby chassis were cut away and replaced by Evergreen 'L' section and other details were just scrap box bits and bobs.

5 quid now for 4 pieces of microstrip............these may be my last builds that use it.

post-910-0-40593200-1483372668.jpg

Here's an older Interfrigo van. I experimented with contact adhesive, sticking the plasticard sides to the Hornby sides, hence the filler....the sides buckled and had to be ground down. 

The snowflake also melted!

post-910-0-96289700-1483372809.jpg

Should be good now though. I'm not looking forward to building the ladders and walkways at the ends of these 2 refrigerator vans.

The Hornby roof was cut off this one and replaced with a plasticard re-enforced and sculpted one.

I got hold of an old HO Electrotren van to help me out but if anything it hindered me. 

Here shows the difference between the scales:

post-910-0-51958500-1483373094.jpg

And finally a picture of the solebar so far showing how far away it's come from the Hornby base model:

post-910-0-90760900-1483373196.jpg

Here's the 00 model 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Early December I got the time together to start the last 6 Hornby VIX ferry van conversions and these are now at the rolling coupling box that needs detailing painting and decalling stage.

These vans include 3 Italian FS vans with 6 vents per side, a similar SNCF van with 4 vents per side and 2 Interfrigo vans of the same length including a "Flying Snowflake"

All use the standard Hornby VIX chassis with the side detail/mess cut away and the VIX body with the doors removed and the aperture filled with plastikard.

I opted for metal bufferheads only from 51L rather than full units and I think the choice was a good one as the Hornby buffers are not bad. 16 inch diametre for the FS vans and 18 inches for the Transfera blues.

51L also supplied the brake levers, guides and the tie down cleats and towing anchors whereas I procured the vent plates from Jon Hall.

P1030129.JPG

The French van so far:

P1030121.JPG

One of the Italian ones:

P1030122.JPG

The under trussings of the original Hornby chassis were cut away and replaced by Evergreen 'L' section and other details were just scrap box bits and bobs.

5 quid now for 4 pieces of microstrip............these may be my last builds that use it.

P1030123.JPG

Here's an older Interfrigo van. I experimented with contact adhesive, sticking the plasticard sides to the Hornby sides, hence the filler....the sides buckled and had to be ground down.

The snowflake also melted!

P1030124.JPG

Should be good now though. I'm not looking forward to building the ladders and walkways at the ends of these 2 refrigerator vans.

The Hornby roof was cut off this one and replaced with a plasticard re-enforced and sculpted one.

I got hold of an old HO Electrotren van to help me out but if anything it hindered me.

Here shows the difference between the scales:

P1030126.JPG

And finally a picture of the solebar so far showing how far away it's come from the Hornby base model:

P1030128.JPG

Here's the 00 model

Any update Andy?

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Andrew,

I’ve enjoyed reading about your Transfesa van conversion. If you have any of the photos still would you be prepared to reload them into this thread? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1