Worsley Works 3mm Class 08 kit

3mm John

I am thinking of building a Worsley Works Class 08 locomotive kit, has anyone built one of these? I would be building to 12mm gauge and would appreciate any comments on wheel motor and gearbox choice. Thanks for your comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Branchlines and High level are also potential options for motors and gearboxes. As for wheels the 3mm society may have suitable wheels. I believe there are now 4' 6" wheels in the range of self quartering wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Suggest that you ask this on the 3mm Society Yahoo group; there will be people on there who have built one. There are now 4'6" (13.5mm) self-quartering wheels available; only problem is that the Class 08 is outside frame, so the self quartering aspect of the wheels isn't helpful, as it's the outside cranks which need quartering not the wheels. However, it is possible to get extended "square" axles and also spare wheel centres from the Society on request; if you remove the spokes from a wheel centre then you end up with something which can be used as an outside crank, and has the necessary square hole for self-quartering.

Archived