Hornby - Livery errors.

Multiple identity account

Hey guys,

A lot of Hornby models have been released with a few livery errors which is unacceptable but however still appeared.

I'm trying to make a full list of models that were made by Hornby over the last two years (2014-2015) that have contained livery errors so far.

As far as I know the following models have livery errors (please feel free to add your own along with the error):-

- Greater Anglia Class 153

Mix up in the colour of the lettering between blue and grey

- LNER A3 Class "Book Law"
LNER not in line with loco number

- BR Blue HST

Cantrail stripe added and black lettering

- BR Intercity HST

Intercity branding in the wrong colour

- 2014 great goodbye A4s (UPDATED)

Incorrect lettering alingnment

- Royal Class 67 (UPDATED)
Missing grey roof

These are all that I've known so far. Please do add more if you'll know of any. I wanted a full list of all those models that have been released from 2014 till now so that I can make the full list so that I can bring it to the attention of Hornby and question them about why it's happened and what can be done to reduce the number of livery errors.

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium

One person making a list is going to achieve nothing. The only way it is going to make a difference is if every single modeller that sees a mistake, takes the time to to send an message to Hornby about it. Personally, I live with small livery errors like those you have listed. Most will not be bothered to contact Hornby.

I would suspect that there are more errors than just the livery on a lot of Hornby  models, or any manufacturers models for that matter.

The shades of GWR green vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and I'm sure some of the boilers don't have the correct number of rivets, and I'm almost positive the crank rods had cotter pins on the real thing, not countersunk screws.

One person making a list is going to achieve nothing. The only way it is going to make a difference is if every single modeller that sees a mistake, takes the time to to send an message to Hornby about it. Personally, I live with small livery errors like those you have listed. Most will not be bothered to contact Hornby.

Hi,

I share the same concerns but I just wanted a full list. Those who do see this and would like to contact Hornby can do so. I can live with quite a few errors also. But it's a concern for many.

• RMweb Premium

You never know, after a rather troubled few years (to put it mildly) Hornby are improving and especially they seem to be making a genuine effort to communicate with their customers so comments such as these may find a much more willing response than they perhaps might have a couple of years ago.

You never know, after a rather troubled few years (to put it mildly) Hornby are improving and especially they seem to be making a genuine effort to communicate with their customers so comments such as these may find a much more willing response than they perhaps might have a couple of years ago.

I agree with that, the new management has made great strides, most of the models with errors came from the days of the older management. So art work may have been prepared already. I do have full faith in the new management. They've managed to pull of a lot. Communication has never been better. Atleast I feel that Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann have all got good communication now. No one is lagging behind.

This has happened with ALL manufacturers so I take it you will be doing further lists?

Indeed..... can always start a list in each manufacturer's section. 

The  2014 great goodbye A4s (except for Dominion of Canada) have various errors, ranging from incorrect cab/tender lettering alignment, incorrect nose number alignment, and incorrect positioning of smokebox numberplates.

When was it released? R2662 seems to be an older serial number

I may have got the 'R' number wrong.. I didn't spend any time researching my findings I'm afraid. But now we all know you're looking for one... ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Hey guys,

I know that over quite a few Hornby models have been released with quite a few livery errors which is unacceptable but however still appeared.

I'm trying to make a full list of models that were made by Hornby over the last two years 2014-2015 that have contained livery errors so far.

As far as I know the following models have livery errors (please feel free to add your own along with the error):-

- Greater Anglia Class 153

Mix up in the colour of the lettering between blue and grey

- LNER A3 Class "Book Law"

LNER not in line with loco number

- BR Blue HST

Cantrail stripe added and black lettering

- BR Intercity HST

Intercity branding in the wrong colour

- 2014 great goodbye A4s (UPDATED)

Incorrect lettering alingnment 

These are all that I've known so far. Please do add more if you'll know of any. I wanted a full list of all those models that have been released from 2014 till now so that I can make the full list so that I can bring it to the attention of Hornby and question them about why it's happened and what can be done to reduce the number of livery errors.

Cheers!

So then.....a hotline to The Vatican...sorry,Canterbury. What magic can you exert during interrogation to make them confess their sins and promise "sorry,guv,we promise to do better tomorrow "?

Do you recall our own Andy Y 's interview with Nat Southworth a while back when he asked questions we had put.to him....and then the howls of anguish that ensued ? What makes you think you might succeed because subsequently ,Andy has been quietly tearing his hair out with one or two of Hornby's decisions ? These are mistakes made in a factory on the other side of the world...if indeed some of them are mistakes ( I said SOME ) and I honestly doubt that Margate/Canterbury UK has that tight a control over proceedings ten thousand miles from home.In a perfect world that would be possible but this ain't.I really do not think it's sensible to do this.We are getting some rather wonderful models from them at the moment and there are improvements.

I know that over quite a few Hornby models have been released with quite a few livery errors which is unacceptable but however still appeared.

There are a couple of others that have been discussed here on RMweb but I can't remember the particulars. One was a 28xx in "GREAT WESTERN" livery, but I don't remember the specifics - and in any case, I was happy to purchase the version people thought 'wrong'.

A bigger problem as far as I am concerned are descriptions in the online catalogue* that do not match the product that was delivered, even by the time the product was available.

By sharing drawings of their livery application specification, Hornby has gone a long way to mitigate the whole livery confusion issue. Hopefully they will start doing this for every newly tooled model.

* I'm talking about the on-line version - you can't fix any mistakes or changes in plans in the printed one.

I love this thread!

Quite apart from the classic irony bypass in posts 11 and 12.... (genius)

I want to now what is been done too reduce the number of spelling and grammer errors in the OP  :angel:

I love this thread!

Quite apart from the classic irony bypass in posts 11 and 12.... (genius)

I want to now what is been done too reduce the number of spelling and grammer errors in the OP  :angel:

Post edited, sorry I hadn't read through it. Glad you had some fun pointing out like that publicly!

It all comes down to cost, and what the consumer is willing to pay for a certain quality.

If you want better you have to pay more, there are manufacturers out there who build replicas, a snip if you have a spare couple of grand lying around.

The Hornby ex Virgin mk3's had silver window surrounds in the Hornby pre production drawing, correctly representing the HST mk3's. When the model came out Hornby had forgotten to add the silver, therefore looking instead like the Virgin loco hauled mk3's. They modeled the tgs coach which has only ever been an hst coach which now just looks odd!

• RMweb Premium

I am not at all sure that the lettering on the dials in the cab of the A4s is the correct font. Also the white on the dials is a trifle too bright. Another point, shouldn't the dials have a gloss finish to simulate the glass?

Just put yourself in the shoes of whoever receives your list of faults at Hornby. What exactly are they supposed to do with it?

There is little point in Hornby spending their time (and money) investigating errors on models that have already been produced. The chances of them giving a detailed response as to how such errors happened is virtually nil. What are they supposed to say. "Mr Cheng was having a bit of a stressful day and didn't notice that the lettering should have a border but we have fired him and got a replacement who has promised to do better".

Would any of us who have ever worked for a living tolerate a situation where if we made a mistake we had to give a public explanation of what we had done and how we were going to avoid it happening again for possible publication on a web forum?

If I was at Hornby I would simply reply with a  "Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and we hope that future productions will be to your satisfaction" letter.

Would any of us who have ever worked for a living tolerate a situation where if we made a mistake we had to give a public explanation of what we had done and how we were going to avoid it happening again for possible publication on a web forum?

Some of us have to! Try writing for a model railway magazine!!  

Seriously, there really is no point in people getting fired up about livery errors. We have choices - buy and live with it, don't buy, buy and repaint it. Once it's done and out of the factory there's nothing that the manufacturer can do beyond - maybe - altering it next time if there is a next time. 

Mis-alignment of lettering is due to incorrect setting up of masks or printing equipment and is not a 'livery error' as such but more a quality control issue.

Nor are shades of colour a livery error. Colours used on models are a matter of interpretation. Using genuine green from Swindon won't give you the correct colour on a 1:76 model. It will look way too dark. Model colours are all interpretations by the human eye and what 'looks right' to one person will look wrong to another. The guy at Hornby thinks his GWR green is OK and the guy at Bachmann doubtless thinks his is OK, too. Once the colour is given a spec number, that spec number will appear on every drawing that requires Swindon green so that all the models from a particular manufacturer should match.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived