Uneven running in reverse

Hello

I'm currently building a Dave Alexander Q6 and I'm on the way to completing the chassis. I have installed the motor  (Mashima 1024) and the (High Level 1:80) gear box. Testing it out I have found that running forward is near perfect, however, reverse running is quite uneven when running slow. I have currently run it with axle only, uncoupled and finally with the couple rods attached but the results are always the same - perfect forward running but uneven reverse running.

As I increase the power running improves but as I do plan to have some reverse running as prototypical speeds I would like some advice on what to do next.

What exactly do you mean by uneven. Jittery? Or is the axle wobbling. If the latter, the bearings could be off in such a way it only affects one direction. If the former, Id say the axle is catching on some tiny defect in the bearing.

This is very common, often an interaction of two or more small defects in the geartrain. why 'one direction good, one direction flawed'? Because of reaction forces, the gear shafts take up slightly different positions. The main defect is most likely to be on the gear shaft that the slowing synchs with once per revolution, and from post 3 it sounds as though this is the geared axle.

Is the gear on the axle screw secured? If so always a major suspect: slack off the screw and try running, if it is then smooth running in both directions then it is eccentricity introduced by the screw. Gluing or soldering the axle to the gear is a fix, or drilling through the axle to just clear, and fitting a much longer length of studding so the gear is slgihtly loose.

If not that try holding the gear axle against the reaction in the position it is in during forward running, while running in reverse. (Your own fingernail edges bearing on the axle ends lubricated with a little oil will do the trick.) If that delivers constant speed, there's the trouble. Slight relocation of the bearings (often by truing up the gear box assembly closer to all square rather than shifting the bearings relative to the gearbox), or fitting more closely toleranced bearings may be a fix.

Now, make a note of it somewhere you will remember to look, because during the body fitting process you may well have the motor off, and you don't want to forget how the motor has to go on...

Don't be surprised if other mechanism issues emerge with the body on the mechanism; attaching a body can distort the frame very slightly for example.

as predicted, just when you think you're safe. Though it running nicely with the body attached I think I'm messed up the pickups as when I fitted them it wouldn't run. I'm thinking I've made them too short and without any springing which in turn prevents the electrical pick up to the motor. I'm going to have another pop at them and will get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I would check how much end float you have on the motor shaft. Also put a single washer between the worm and the motor, with no end float. but not so tight it effects the rotation of the motor. If the motor shaft moves back and forth it will lead to poor running no washer makes the worm snatch on the motor.

• 2 weeks later...

A problem I found is insufficient retention of the motor.  In one direction the torque holds the motor down against the frame/chassis - in the other the motor is rotated (lifts) away from the frame.  This did not affect running with the chassis alone as it was so light the motor didn't lift, but when the heavy white metal body was on the weight apparently allowed the motor to rotate (around the driven axle) and presumably the opposite end shaft to contact the inside of the body -  speed was slower and with a louder sound.  The penny dropped and I put a retaining strap around the motor with the result that running in either direction is similar.

Archived