CLASS 121 DMU 'BUBBLE CAR' SOUND

rushdenx1

I have a Hornby R2510 Class 121 DMU 'W55021' in BR Blue.  I want to get it fitted with sound. I am aware that this can be obtained from both Howes and Legomanbiffo. My dilemma is that my 'shelf' layout is only 6 feet long and therefore probably not long enough to reach the speeds required to hear the classic gear changes.  I have now seen that Digitrains offer Class 128 sound with the ability to manually change gear at any speed.  I am not a connoisseur when it comes to DMU sounds, so could the Class 128 sound be an option or would it sound totally out of place in a Class 121.  Alternatively is there a way to get Howes or Legmanbiffo sound adapted for my short layout so I can hear the gear changes.  Any advice appreciated. Kevin.

• RMweb Premium

You've raised an important question rushdenx1. It is not just the gearchange that is important, but the whole sound project. I fitted two locos with SWD sound chips, if you openned up the throttle, then closed it to stop the loco after a short distance, you got a stationary loco, but the sound of the loco thrashing away on full power. Had to get them reblown.

Similarly, I had a Howes chip put into my 128, it also was not suitable for my short layout. I had it reblown by Legomanbiffo. However, other Howes chips have been fine.

I suggest you need to contact potential suppliers to make sure their sound chip is suitable for your layout.

I have a Hornby R2510 Class 121 DMU 'W55021' in BR Blue.  I want to get it fitted with sound. I am aware that this can be obtained from both Howes and Legomanbiffo. My dilemma is that my 'shelf' layout is only 6 feet long and therefore probably not long enough to reach the speeds required to hear the classic gear changes.  I have now seen that Digitrains offer Class 128 sound with the ability to manually change gear at any speed.  I am not a connoisseur when it comes to DMU sounds, so could the Class 128 sound be an option or would it sound totally out of place in a Class 121.  Alternatively is there a way to get Howes or Legmanbiffo sound adapted for my short layout so I can hear the gear changes.  Any advice appreciated. Kevin.

Kevin,

Digitrains have a '1st Generation Heritage DMU which will be more suitable than the 128 (which has less 'passenger' generated sounds, for obvious reasons). The sound and movement are NOT linked directly, so you can invoke gear changes even at low speeds, plus there are separate 'cruising' sounds on F7 and 8 which will play at any speed.

It has a short and long layout arrangement, switchable on F5, so no need to have two separate decoders for long or short.

Speak to Jeremy at Digitrains, I'm sure you will find your needs are covered.

An added bonus is that you'll save around £20 - £30 with the ZIMO decoder compared with Loksound offerings.

Kind regards,

Paul

Howes do much the same with their 1st generation DMU sounds, on F10, as do YouChoos, who have separate Class 105, Class 108 and also GWR railcar sounds (which may strangely be the best fit?). You need to hear the products of each before you decide.

Kevin, you will probably find your "128" sound chip is probably a sound file of one of the preserved 1st gen DMU's as none of the 128's made it into preservation, so it will be generic Leyland engine sounds.

HTH

Craig.

Archived