An unusual Northern Irish prototype to model

Hello everyone,

I am considering a particular model for my 009 layout based in Northern Ireland.  This 009 line is a part of my larger 00 layout, and is (very!) loosely based on those run by the LMSNCC in this part of the world, until 1948.

They had a class of 6 compound 2-4-2 tank locomotives. (see pic) built between 1892 and 1920, by Beyer Peacock to the designs of the then chief engineer of the NCC , Bowman Malcolm, a fan of compounding.   These were of course 3'00 gauge but I hope to use an "N" gauge chassis of some sort, even fi it is 100% -but it needs to be four coupled with outside cylinders.  The original driving wheels were 3'9" diameter which means an "N" gauge loco with 6 -7' diameter drivers  would be needed to get near the "look" - most 009 chassis seems to have very small wheels. The bogies could be got relatively easily, I expect, and  I am happy to have a go at the body, of course.

Anyone have any ideas or know of anything that might be suitable?    So far I have drawn a blank.

Colm Flanagan

post-4092-0-85985700-1436469759_thumb.jpg

Not the answer you want, but Use TT wheels and scratch build? No n gauge chassis will come near to 15mm wheels. At least there'd be a decent amount of room in the body/tanks. I can't remember the coupled wheelbase but I suspect it'll be quite big for n scale.

Just a thought, the wheels are the same size as the isle of man 240t. They're both beyer, peacocks so theyd probably be the same. Several kits for the Manx locos have been produced in 4mm, so the correct wheels ought to be available for the drivers. The pony wheels are 2' so 8mm wheels shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Archived