Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

• RMweb Premium

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER N10

Now in service on my Hessle Haven layout is this; Arthur's kit of the LNER N10. Again, this was the test build and, unlike most of the locos on Hessle Haven, is finished in ex-works state.

Cheers

Mike

Nice!

The N10 is currently sold out but I will be placing a small order for more. If you want one send me a PM

ArthurK

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER J77

Another one now in service on Hessle Haven is this one; the Worsdell cab version of the LNER J77. This has joined the growing ranks of the 0-6-0 tanks, taking their turn to provide shunting duties.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-35765400-1541682684_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 12

Bachmann/HIGH LEVEL MODELS LNER J72

I covered the actual process of these conversions/rebuilds much earlier in the thread but I don't think I ever posted a photo of the finished project. So here it is!! J72 68724 based in Hull in mid 1950 (what a coincidence!!) and finished in a moderately weatherworn state.

The body for this was a 'gratis' donation, so the overall cost was 50p less than the cost of the first of these rebuilds (69003), where the body did cost 50p.

I really should have thinned the footplate as it is far too thick!!

The light from the daylight lamp really does enhance the photos; certainly weathers the weathered black!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-22380700-1542196919_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

SCRATCH BUILT LNER T1

Here's a slightly better photo of the LNER T1 4-8-0 tank, which was where my loco building started again, after a thirty year lay off. This has had a few changes and additions - mostly from a 52F Models chassis kit for this prototype - but is largely as I built it about thirteen years ago. I do have another one of these to complete, which should be done early next year.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-89059700-1542635563_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lovely crisp detail on that loco, Mike (though a new smokebox dart would transform the face!) There are lots of challenges to capturing the character of the loco and you have risen to all of them. 

I think the weathering on the wheels urgently needs revisiting! 

Lovely crisp detail on that loco, Mike (though a new smokebox dart would transform the face!) There are lots of challenges to capturing the character of the loco and you have risen to all of them. 

I think the weathering on the wheels urgently needs revisiting! 

David,

This is one of the great benefits of that daylight lamp. It wasn't until I photographed this model, lit by the daylight lamp, that I really could see how bad the weathering on the wheels is. Now toned down and merged into the black!!

The smokebox dart was a casting and long preceded my current smokebox darts, which are now much more 'Daddymanesque'. You always know you've 'made it' when you become an adjective - just joking Dave!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Following on from David's comments re the weathering on the wheels of the T1, it has been re-done. Much as one might like the very complimentary comments and likes on this site, it is the objective, even critical comments, which are very useful. It is too easy, on one's own work, to overlook that which isn't right and it does, perhaps, often fall to others to point out what is not right. Thanks David and I hope this looks better.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-48515200-1542803962_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

NORTH EASTERN KITS LNER J71

I've had one of my fortnightly 'round tuits' days, now yesterday (it's presently 12.13 am).This is when I gather up the round tuits and try and do as many as I can in the day. Otherwise they can accumulate alarmingly.

So, first up is fitting the sandpipes to the J71, which took around half an hour. Why did I not fit these earlier. I ask myself - though I'm still waiting for an answer.

Anyway this model, the test build of Arthur's J71 kit, is now complete so a final photograph before it takes its place on the layout and joins the ranks of the 0-6-0 shunting and trip freight tanks.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-13566500-1542845917_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Very handsome, and again, very crisp. 

Thank you. 

Big these machines certainly were - well many of them! Smelly and noisy they undoubtedly were; grimy, dirty and unkempt they often were but they were lovely things these steam locomotives.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

Another photo of the test build for Arthur's J71 kit. This loco is weighted to around 7.5 oz and is fitted with a Mashima 1220 motor and High Level Models Humpshunter gearbox (108 :1 ratio). This allows the loco to quite happily travel at a scale 1 - 2 mph (6 mm - 12 mm per second) and still maintain enough torque to pull or push thirty wagons. Hearing each individual three link coupling snap tight as the loco hauls them away is really quite rewarding and reminds me of my childhood, hearing the wagons in Hull's New Inward marshalling yard being shunted.

Long tme ago and now, of course, the trains and the marshalling yard are all gone.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-54109900-1543516233_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 10

Absolutely cracking! I received mine the other week, and picked up the wheels at Warley. I was going to read back through your thread to establish which motor/gearbox you'd gone for, but that's conveniently just above! I presume it's driving onto the rear wheels?

I'm very much looking forward to starting mine, but I need to clear some workbench space first!

Cheers

J

Edited for a couple of auto correct un-correctnesses!)

Edited by JaymzHatstand

Absolutely cracking! I received mine the other week, and picked up the wheels at Warley. I was going to read back through your thread to establish which motor/gearbox you'd gone for, but that's conveniently just above! I presume it's driving onto the rear wheels?

I'm very much looking forward to starting mine, but I need to clear some workbench space first!

Cheers

J

Edited for a couple of auto correct un-correctnesses!)

Thank you for the kind words.

No, this is driven on the middle axle with the motor facing to the rear. The motor (Mashima 1220) just goes in behind the backhead casting; obviously with the rear shaft cropped off.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you for the kind words.

No, this is driven on the middle axle with the motor facing to the rear. The motor (Mashima 1220) just goes in behind the backhead casting; obviously with the rear shaft cropped off.

Cheers

Mike

Excellent, thanks for that! I presume it's fully compensated? If so, how is the gearbox secured tonthe chassis don't doesn't just flop about?

Cheers

J

Excellent, thanks for that! I presume it's fully compensated? If so, how is the gearbox secured tonthe chassis don't doesn't just flop about?

Cheers

J

The gearbox (as with all of my 0-6-0 tanks) is the High Level Models Humpshunter (108 : 1 is now 120 : 1 as the final drive gear has been changed.). This gearbox does not have an articulated drive carriage, as some other High Level gearboxes do have, but the driven axle and final drive gearwheel are effectively held by the gearbox structure. So the gearbox/motor are a single unit held on the driven axle, though they can still rotate around that axle. So the gearbox needs to be held correctly spaced on the axle using spacers and shims to prevent the gearbox moving sideways; and the motor needs to be constrained from revolving on the driven axle.

I normally fit a plasticard piece into the inside top of the firebox onto which the top of the motor can move and touch, very slightly, but will not then create a short circuit. Thus the gearbox / motor assembly is free to rise and fall with the compensated axle. Bear in mind that this movement shouldn't really be any more than plus/minus ten - fifteen thou on well laid track. Any more than that and there is a problem with the track.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Another photo of the test build for Arthur's J71 kit. This loco is weighted to around 7.5 oz and is fitted with a Mashima 1220 motor and High Level Models Humpshunter gearbox (108 :1 ratio). This allows the loco to quite happily travel at a scale 1 - 2 mph (6 mm - 12 mm per second) and still maintain enough torque to pull or push thirty wagons. Hearing each individual three link coupling snap tight as the loco hauls them away is really quite rewarding and reminds me of my childhood, hearing the wagons in Hull's New Inward marshalling yard being shunted.

Long tme ago and now, of course, the trains and the marshalling yard are all gone.

Cheers

Mike

The J71 is a credit to you as the builder and Arthur as the designer. It certainly puts my Bachmann/Mainly Trains version in the shade, though your work has allowed me to add some details missing from the basic kit.

Thanks as always.

Would you be able to send a pick of the pick up arrangement? I am currently building a Jinty using a 1620 motor with a Comet gearbox but having issues with pick ups. I assume you are analogue and not digital?

I'm fairly sure that DC vs DCC does not affect the pick-up arrangements on a model loco. After all, it's just a stream of electrons being transmitted from the track, through the wheel rims to something (the motor or input side of a chip) on the loco via the pick-ups. Many commercial models are supplies "DCC ready" which means they are analogue but can be converted easily to DCC by replacing a blanking plug on a circuit board with a DCC chip. There is no need to make any changes to the pick-ups.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Holt

• RMweb Premium

I sent this as a PM, but Mike suggested I add it to the thread.

I was reading through some digitised Railway Observers looking for information on B7s when I stumbled across this entry from the March 1950 RO:

"HULL.- On the occasion of the Society visit on 12/2/1950, although there was nothing outstanding at the three Hull sheds, one point of interest was the large number of ex-North Eastern tank engines on view and the absence of ex-North Eastern tender engines. Of the 200 engines noted 70 were of North Eastern design including classes A6, A7, G5, J71, J72, J73, J77, N8, N10 and T1, with two engines of class A8, which were rebuilt from engines of NE design. Dairycoates shed, once the home of hordes of B16 and Q6 contained only one example of each of these classes its long distance workings now being entrusted to classes O1, O4, O7, J39 and K3, of which a total of 73 engines were observed, all being 63751 of Cudworth and 3832, 63649 of Frodingham. Dairycoates also has two ex-GE F4s 67171/5; the former was engaged on shunting operations near the shed, whilst the latter was under repair at Springhead Works. Botanic Gardens still has its C12s, of which 67354/71/91-5 were on view, the first being a recent transfer from Cambridge, whilst Springhead had 5 N13s – 69111-3/6/9. Strangers noted at Dairycoates included B7 61711 of Gorton; J6 64185 of Doncaster and 64205 of Bradford; B1 1220 and 1303 of Stockton and Q6 63348 of Selby. Other North Eastern tender engines noted were D20 62353/83, and 11 examples of Class J25, all normal Hull allocation, except 62353 of Bridlington. In place of the LMS 7F G3 0-8-0s, an increasing number of Cl. 8F 2-8-0 WD engines work in on former L and Y workings.”

Slightly early for Mike's mid-1950 timeframe, but the description just seemed to fit perfectly with his beautifully modelled efforts to recreate the typical Hull scene of 68 years ago - 'nothing outstanding' and dominated by NE tank engines.

Simon

• Like 3

Simon,

Many thanks for posting this for it iilustrates perfectly, the enormous variety of locomotive classes to be found in Hull in 1950. This is the only first hand account of a 'shed bash' in Hull in that era that I've ever seen. The chronicler seems almost apologetic for an absence of North Eastern tender locomotives.

But there were LNER, North Eastern, Hull & Barnsley, Great Central, Great Northern, Great Eastern, ex War Department and LMS locomotives all in the one area, on the one day! Wot no L&Y!

'Nothing outstanding'! Just 200 locomotives, covering thirty odd classes, seen in the three sheds.

Oh how those 1950 spotters must have been disappointed and oh how we would love to go back then for just one day to see this!

I now feel completely vindicated in having something of a plethora of tank locomotive models.

Once again, Simon, many thanks.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A pleasure. However if the numbers rather than a sense of place (or at least attitude to the place!) are your thing then there is always this:

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/10/hull-dairycoates-1946-1950.html?m=1

(A great site to waste hours on looking for oddities, but it does get its LNER 2-8-0s mixed up on occasion).

Simon

Edited by 65179

A pleasure. However if the numbers rather than a sense of place (or at least attitude to the place!) are your thing then there is always this:

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/10/hull-dairycoates-1946-1950.html?m=1

(A great site to waste hours on looking for oddities, but it does get it's LNER 2-8-0s mixed up on occasion).

Simon

I can see how this site could waste hours but just looking at the sheer variety, number of locos and the distances of some of them from their home sheds.

Now hard to imagine a railway with some twenty thousand locomotives!

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I think the allocations are broadly representative, but I wonder if some are taken from the nearest RCTS or similar allocation list. Sometimes it pays to double check with the relevant Yeadon. However it clearly wasn't always just the mixed traffic 4- and 2-6-0s that got around!

Simon