Mikemeg's Workbench - Building locos of the North Eastern & LNER

I've made reference, from time to time, to my upcoming house move. Well it 'upcame' this Monday past - 23rd March - just one day before the new regulations re key workers, travelling and isolating came into force. So I seem to have just made it 'by the skin of me teeth'. Timing or what? No, entirely good luck rather than good management!

Now, once everything comes out of its boxes, the modelling can continue.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Mike,

well done and good luck.

We are now finding that, having moved on 5th March, sorting out those things an older (late 1920's) house needs is getting rather difficult. Whether it is sourcing stuff for DIY without visiting B&Q, etc. or getting a trade in for a professional job (e.g. new flooring in the hallway). So far we are still waiting for BT to connect our landline and internet connection) but they haven't yet come  up with a Covid19 excuse to delay it further.

Jol

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 65179 said:

Hi Mike,

I hope organising the new house is going well.  I'd just like to say thank you for taking the time to chronicle your builds.  Your posts relating to your B16s, together with Rob Pulham's 7mm build, were invaluable as I built my shot down Steve Barnfield kit in 2mm scale.  My April 1950 condition York B16 61474 is now almost there:

1766394156_20200520_075220(2).jpg.5bb7164ab7ab0b2307c4e19f099c0eed.jpg

Thanks

Simon 

Simon,

Thanks for this. Yes I'm just about sorted out with organising the new house and the work room now looks much more organised than it ever has. I found all sorts of things which I'd forgotten I had, including two Mashima 1628 motors, various gearboxes, etc.; all now fully inventoried and labelled. My challenge, now, is to maintain this level of organisation!!

Your B16 really does look very good, capturing the essence of these locomotives beautifully; and your model shares the same era as mine April 1950 v June 1950, so we can both utilise the first BR livery - plain black with British Railways in full. At this time, the entire class of B16's, of all sub-classes, were based at York or Neville Hill, so a winter's Sunday shed bash at either shed would have seen many of them. I say winter's shed bash because Spring, Summer or early Autumn weekends would have seen dozens of them at Bridlington or Scarborough on excursion workings!

So, once again, many thanks for the posting and congratulation on a very fine model.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear you are getting there!

Thanks for your comments. The photo I worked from shows 61474 at Guide Bridge all coaled up and ready to head back to York - presumably from Dewsnap Sidings. I've not gone for the huge pile of coal it had in the tender that day - right to the loading gauge - but I have tried to copy the little oddities shown on locos in this period. 61474 was renumbered from 61405 a few months earlier than I've modelled it so the numbers are cleaner than the lettering, and it looks like it was even slower to get the new cast smokebox numberplate as it has a clean plate and 61474 painted on the bufferbeam.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery and power to your modelling elbow when you get back to the bench.

In the meantime, take it easy.

Best Wishes,

John

17 hours ago, rowanj said:

Hope you are soon "back in the saddle", Mike. All the best.

Thanks John and all who wished me well,

Last time I was incapacitated, I came back to the modelling via a 1/72 Lancaster, Halifax, Hampden and Blenheim, which were all done on the kitchen table.

But I never did get around to the 1/72 Short Stirling and Dornier 17, so , tomorrow, perhaps …………, for I can do these on my lounge table!!

Cheers

Mike

P1010001.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I did complete the Short Stirling which seems to have re-habilitated me to the modelling. So, having completed this model and sold it on to a collector, then I'm now fit and ready to start the next project which is a pair of ex-LNWR balanced bracket signals for a good friend's layout.

First job is to make a decent 4mm design drawing of the models, both of which will be identical, with the actuating mechanism for the signal arms clearly laid out on the drawing. I'll post details of this build on the Signalling Topic Area, as they progress.

I'll take the liberty of posting a couple of photos of the Stirling before I  move on. Painting that cockpit canopy was a real challenge but, with the aid of the trusty cocktail stick, it was done!

Cheers

Mike

P1010026.JPG

P1010027 (2).JPG

Edited by Mike Megginson
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I've often wondered how good the Short Stirling would have been 'IF' it had had the right length wings and a normal bomb bay

manna

Hi Manna,

Many thanks for the comments.

Apparently (at least from the prototype information supplied with the kit) the overall dimensions were constrained by the dimensions of the standard T1 RAF hangar and standard RAF crating when the specification was issued, These constraints forced the compromise on wing span, which did limit the service ceiling of the aircraft. As to the bomb bay, the Stirling seems to have had various locations where bombs were carried. Strangely, despite the success of the Halifax and Lancaster, production of the Stirling continued until late 1945, though far fewer (2350) were built than the numbers for the other two 'heavies'.

I'm not really an aircraft modeller but I do, occasionally, build them as they can be assembled in the relative comfort of my lounge rather than the workbench.

Anyway, now back to the workbench and the railway modelling.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike Megginson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may be of interest to know that the wingspan of the Stirling was only some 5ft less than that of the Boeing B17, whilst the wing area was 40sq ft greater. Normal and maximum loaded weights were very similar. Big difference in altitude performance could be attributed to the B17 being powered by turbo super charged Wright Cyclones.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

Or, perhaps, this one, which was the scratch build augmented with Arthur's etched chassis and castings. This one is entitled 'Still Going Strong' as this was the last survivor and soldiered on until 1953.

Cheers

Mike

P1270002.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 15

But there again, perhaps this one; dirty, unkempt and dilapidated. But still an A6! This one is entitled 'Not long now' as the model is set in mid 1950 shortly before the loco was withdrawn.

The previous two, 69791/6 carried superheated boilers at this time (mid 1950) whereas 69795 carried a saturated boiler. By the late 1940's, every one of the A6's (and only ten were ever built) was different.

That's it for the A6's until I finish lining 69798.

Cheers

Mike

P3220002.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 18

On 15/07/2020 at 23:50, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I've often wondered how good the Short Stirling would have been 'IF' it had had the right length wings and a normal bomb bay

manna

It was the wing section of the Stirling, not the span, which was its downfall. Which isn't to say another 10ft wouldn't have been better, but it would only have been better with a different wing section.

• Like 1

But there is one of the old North Eastern's  big tanks which was even more impressive - in my humble opinion - than the A6's and that was the T1 4-8-0 tanks. Apologies for showing this photo again but it's a few pages back since last I did.

So this was my first attempt , since my twenties, at scratch building. It still runs well and it still has a prodigious hauling (or pushing) capacity.

Cheers

Mike

P1080018.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 28/10/2020 at 13:04, PenrithBeacon said:

It was the wing section of the Stirling, not the span, which was its downfall. Which isn't to say another 10ft wouldn't have been better, but it would only have been better with a different wing section.

As a part of my 'rehabilitation', which was really little more than overcoming the tiredness, post the 'goings on' during the summer, I also built a 1/72 scale Dornier 17. However, I'm not sure if I can post a photo of this model as it carries Swastika decals on its twin tail fins. None of the plastic kits, of German aircraft, are supplied with this particular decal - for quite obvious reasons. However, these decals are obtainable, separately, from a model supplier, without resorting to the shadier side of web referenced suppliers.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg